First Vista Mix - World of Promises!

-Gavin-

Gavornator
Jul 21, 2003
Oulu, Finland
This is not my best mix or recording whatever by a long shot.
Infact, it's quite terrible! :lol:

Solo was improvised bar the first like, bar or two...

I just threw a TON of my most powerful plugs at vista and checked how it dealt compared to XP.

Very damned well... Performance speed wasn't much of an increase but audio rendering was faster and latencies could get lower!

In short, used a few more plugs than i would on a typical mix, and was running this at about 5ms WDM latency.

http://www.upload.celtiaproductions.co.uk/uploads/gavinharper-worldofpromises.mp3

It's nothing to do with sound, the only reasn i put vista in the title is to point out that i was sort of "benchmarking" vista against XP in terms of mix pluigns:Latency

What software did you use?
Did any compatibility problems show up?

I just put together a new workstation and I'm trying to figure out wether to install XP or Vista. The guy in the HW store told about some compatibility tests of common software - half of the tested apps failed (I didn't get any further details..).

Also I was wondering about installing a 64bit edition (of either XP or Vista), but that seems like a really bad idea since 64bit apps cannot link to or load 32bit compiled libraries (i.e. 32bit plugins).

What software did you use?
Did any compatibility problems show up?

I just put together a new workstation and I'm trying to figure out wether to install XP or Vista. The guy in the HW store told about some compatibility tests of common software - half of the tested apps failed (I didn't get any further details..).

Also I was wondering about installing a 64bit edition (of either XP or Vista), but that seems like a really bad idea since 64bit apps cannot link to or load 32bit compiled libraries (i.e. 32bit plugins).

Sonar 5.2

and it has the Bit Bridge so it can load 32bit plugs but the thing is...

A) think of bit bridge like the rosetta layer on intel macs. It does the job but it's not as quick... but shit, it does the job fucking well considering there are hardly any native 64bit plugs!

B) I installed both 32 and 64bit versions and the 32bit version actually worked faster because in the 32bit one, you can turn on the multiprocessing engine (even if on 32bit windows) and take advantage of both cores)

So if you get sonar you can actually use the 32 bit version for no compatability problems but still take advantage of 64bit computing!

Cakewalk > Everyone else.

Oh aye, sonar 6.2 is released now (i haven't upgraded cause the only thing that would get me is the vintage channel plugin but i actually own Kjærhus golden audio channel anyway :lol:) and Sonar 6.2 is native vista!

Oh yeah, i've had ZERO compatability issues though my DAW station uses Photoshop, Sonar, Audacity (wave editing) and such.

I even use a ton of freeware plugins, a lot very old ones, and again, zero issues!