Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

The album is a 6.5/10 for me. I've listened to it 6 times and I don't really have any desire to listen to it more. It's a very safe, formulaic MDM with unexciting vocals. I wish they would have been more ambitious and taken some risks rather than just make this paint by numbers album. I get that that was the whole point, they were not trying to reinvent the wheel or anything like that, but at the same time that also results in an album that is not that compelling to listen to.

IF have been reinventing themselves for a long time and the results have gone from shit to average.

At this point, I just want good enjoyable songs. And I don't think that any musician past their 30s is able to come with something new or groundbreaking. So I'm happy with how the album is right now.

Stanne's vocals are divisive. I can understand people being put off by that. I thought they were pretty boring for DT for the last 10 years or so. With that said I do like his vocals pre-2010 and I think he's closer to that with THE than I've heard him in a long time. So, it works for me, but it's understandable if it doesn't work for people who aren't into DT at all.

But yeah, as far as progression and evolving the sound is concerned, this is not the album to get that from. You pretty much have to really like the old school MDM sound and want to hear tracks that could have fit into that era.

At this point, I think that the only way to "evolve" into the melodeath scene is to not do melodeath anymore. I don't think that there's any room for a change of improvement. It's been a long time and there are way too many bands. The fact that, when the bands want to "evolve" they move away from the genre, could be in favour of my point.

The thing is, THE have always promoted themselves as being straight up Gothenberg style MDM, from the outset. They have never even hinted they would be doing anything out of the ordinary or pushing any boundaries. If anything it's the opposite, they've made it clear that this album would essentially be a homage to the scene and not some kind of groundbreaking revolution. They have delivered exactly what they said they would deliver.

Reactions: eochaid and A88
What is evolution in metal music of today? It's not like we have exciting new stuff being released everywhere.

On the other hand, what was the last album of this kind being released?

Just don't get the criticism on that basis.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
I have noticed that lots of songs have one, two or even three guitar layers hidden under the main ones. They're not very noticeable but are adding a lot of depth to the songs

Reactions: DE4life
I didn't listen to the album yet but I'll review it for sure. :D

I read some comments and someone mentioned a song was similar to OFTW (sorry to person who said it and Jesper for not remembering names :D ). Did @eochaid get angry cause he was very angry when State of Slow Decay was similar to ATG song :D Or is it fine when Jesper and his crew does it. :D

I have noticed that lots of songs have one, two or even three guitar layers hidden under the main ones. They're not very noticeable but are adding a lot of depth to the songs

This is what IF albums used to do, when Jesper was still around.

I read some comments and someone mentioned a song was similar to OFTW (sorry to person who said it and Jesper for not remembering names :D ). Did @eochaid get angry cause he was very angry when State of Slow Decay was similar to ATG song :D Or is it fine when Jesper and his crew does it. :D

In fariness it's not really noticeable, as drawntoblack pointed out there are only so many chord progressions and such you can do within the MDM sphere.

I'd say the Ropes 'tribute' at the beginning of A Truth Worth Lying For is the most obvious example of being close to rip off territory, and yes I did call them out on that :D

Man, it's not similar. It's a rip off :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

I was angry? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You're so deluded that it's funny. Or maybe it's not funny anymore.

Last edited:
This is what IF albums used to do, when Jesper was still around.

In fariness it's not really noticeable, as drawntoblack pointed out there are only so many chord progressions and such you can do within the MDM sphere.

I'd say the Ropes 'tribute' at the beginning of A Truth Worth Lying For is the most obvious example of being close to rip off territory, and yes I did call them out on that :D

Oh cmon man how is that not really noticeable. After the solo same electronics come like it was in OFTW and boom that lead. BTW you can totally hear OFTW with the closing acoustics.

Man, it's not similar. It's a rip off :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

I was angry? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You're so deluded that it's funny. Or maybe it's not funny anymore.

You guys bashing me for fanboying Anders and I'm admitting it, maybe its time for you to admit that you're a Jesper fanboy. :D If that was a ripoff this one is too.

I read some couple of pages and you guys were this hyped when Chyra released first album. Still didnt listened THE album but I hope you guys wont fool me with fake hype, cause we all remember what happened to Chyra. :D

Man, you're too emotionally attached to Anders. So attached that it's twisting your views on reallity. Gotta find some professional help.

I dunno, if you're going to fanboy, Jesper is worth it in my opinion. Dude is a legend who has contributed a lot to metal and has influenced a ton of people.

Reactions: DE4life
Plus you're talking about Jesper ripping himself off versus In Flames ripping off something they didn't write/had nothing to do with. Two very different things.

I dunno, if you're going to fanboy, Jesper is worth it in my opinion. Dude is a legend who has contributed a lot to metal and has influenced a ton of people.
He's the guy that told Peter on his facebook acount that THE was a Anders-hating band. So, you can guess.

And don't tell him that Jesper is a legend because he thinks that the real legend here is Anders.

At this point, I think that the only way to "evolve" into the melodeath scene is to not do melodeath anymore. I don't think that there's any room for a change of improvement. It's been a long time and there are way too many bands. The fact that, when the bands want to "evolve" they move away from the genre, could be in favour of my point.

I think that what makes melodeath albums feel 'evolved' or really unique, like the classic IF albums, are the other subgenres that still have influence in the music there. For TJR, it's Scandinavian folk- The opening notes of Moonshield reflect that perfectly- along with heavy metal in the vein of Iron Maiden, which is probably the most obvious thing I could say on this forum. For Whoracle, it's actually groove metal to me, particularly with the rhythm guitars. The album, particularly in its slower moments, is far heavier than TJR, and while there's no wild solos like in "December Flower", the album is overall, is focused on that heaviness and crushing feeling, much like Come Clarity. For Colony, it pretty much just resides with progressive songwriting, with "Ordinary Story" having so many elements and twists (In spite of being so accessible), "Zombie Inc." have its short, but phenomenal interlude, "Pallar Anders Visa" having a split acoustic and string section. It's a much faster album too, with its heavier songs ("Embody the Invisible", "Coerced Coexistence") having a more thrash feel than a groove feel. For Clayman... I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, in all honesty.

In a way for me, THE specifically solely doing Gothenburg melodeath is unique enough for me in this day and age due to the quality of the record. It's done really well, even if everything but "Gateways" is straightforward. That being said, I really hope the next album is much more progressive than this one. It was nice to just see them having fun with what they've known and done, but I want to see them really experiment or throw a few curveballs at us next time.

Oh cmon man how is that not really noticeable. After the solo same electronics come like it was in OFTW and boom that lead. BTW you can totally hear OFTW with the closing acoustics.

I think that'd be me, I pointed out the melody of it in the chorus as well, at least. I think it's much more acceptable that THE has an OFTW melody, since it that melody was written by Jesper for his own band (At the time) to begin with anyways. It feels more like a cheeky, yet warm callback, rather than a blatant ripoff of something that just wasn't yours to begin with (I guess in comparison to SoSD with "Blinded By Fear"). There was also the melody of "Closure" by Cyhra in "Gateways"' 'solo'(?) with the guitars that the synth plays over. For me, I like those little callbacks. I dunno, that's just me.

Reactions: eochaid
Would I like the next album to be... different? To add new sounds or to go beyond? Yes. But, there's this. I prefer artists, musicians, to go with their own flow. If, I don't know, they want to try something because they've heard some cool melodies, that's ok. But, if they try to force the changes, that won't end up in a good way. So, if they feel comfortable, and come with a bunch of good songs I will be happy. Even in the case that they changed nothing and we end up with a DOTL part II.

In the end, what's important, for me, is for people to do good songs that they and the audience enjoy.

I think Mikael said in an interview that THE is just supposed to be a fun project where the five of them write what they want, while DT is where he and the DT guys push the boundaries, try new things, and progress their sound. And that's ultimately how I see Days of the Lost. It's a safe album and pretty much what you expect from this lineup, and it's not really trying to be more than that. I don't anticipate there being much progression in their sound on Album #2.

Reactions: eochaid
Yes. He, mostly, said that. Something like they're forcing the experimentation in DT.

Being into safe areas is what the most of the successful bands have done till now. So I'm ok with it.

And, after all, TODL has, almost, all of the elements of melodeath that I love so, from my personal selfish pov, I don't want them to change that.