Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

I liked Days of the Lost quite a bit. Easily the strongest song they've released so far. It's fun seeing Niclas get the soloing spotlight.

As much as I like Mikael, this song would be insane if Anders -- in his prime -- was on vocals.

Reactions: galvanized
Thought it's easily the best song out of the three. Finally some energy, I'm tired of the slow/mid-tempo stuff. Nice to hear Daniel doing some decent double bass action for the first time since like...The Mirror's Truth or something.

Reactions: galvanized
Can't say I have much of a preference between the 3 tracks released/leaked so far, they all sound great to me.

So, THE are doing a "live stream" in less than an hour and, so far, there's no price? Which means that, it might actually be free?

So it was... 4 songs. Including two new ones. One of them the new single that has a really classic melodeath vibe.

Last edited:
Vimeo player on the fanvault site sucks ass, can't even go fullscreen or rewind. I hope they put the show on YouTube or something so I can see it again with an actually working player.

Two new songs were good! The Needless End again sounds pretty much like classic IF stuff, really really nice. In Broken Trust is more modern-sounding, sounds like it'll be fun live. It also has clean singing in chorus.

Last edited:
Reactions: eochaid
Yeah. The conection was shit and, when choosing full screen mode, the sound was duplicated.

I was able to record yesterday's stream. Just four songs. I don't know if that's all but it doesn't seem like that since there's some time gap in the recording. Maybe they're saving the full show for a future release. The Needless End is definitely a great song. Cool melodeath vibes.

And, there will be a new streaming in an hour.

https://halo.fanvault.io/#/home

Well, both new songs sounded great. I heard much more DD/Character/Fiction era DT in Needless End than anything IF-related, but it was a fantastic song. In Broken Trust was awesome too. Really good groove to the track, and Stanne's clean vocals are on point as always. Must be nice for Jesper to have worked with two vocalists in a row now who can actually sing for real.

An amazing pair of new songs. Unfortunately the stream lagged like hell for me In Needless End so my recording is abysmal. :(

Well, both new songs sounded great. I heard much more DD/Character/Fiction era DT in Needless End than anything IF-related, but it was a fantastic song. In Broken Trust was awesome too. Really good groove to the track, and Stanne's clean vocals are on point as always. Must be nice for Jesper to have worked with two vocalists in a row now who can actually sing for real.

Needless End reminded me of a mix between Amorphis, In Flames (e.g. Ordinary Story) and something like DT's The Enemy. Great song.

Pretty much everything I've heard from THE so far is superb stuff. Having heard around half the album now I'm confident it'll be a solid 9/10 album, far beyond any recently released melodeath in terms of sheer quality.

My stream was pretty much perfect, but I didn't record anything since I was watching/listening on my phone...

My stream had done issues but, since I'm using a program that records directly from the network, the recordintg was almost perfect.

I agree that Needless End has a DT vibe to it. But it also sounds like classic melodeath, so it's good. I like how the middle section guitar harmonies and the end tune are simple but effective. That reminds me of my favourite IF guitar melodies.

The second song... I'm not a fan of Stanne's vocals because he doesn't have a wide range and I feel like the cleans should have been the verses instead of the chorus. Maybe they did that on purpose. Still, a good song that is growing up on me with every new listening.

Edit: I will share the recording as soon as I can. But, through DM.

Reactions: DE4life
It'll be interesting to hear how the album versions of the new songs differ - these were like live songs played in studio without any serious mixing (but not totally live either). For example a lot of the dual-guitar harmonies from Shadowminds & Days of the Lost are missing because they're replicating playing those songs live where there's only one lead and one rhythm guitar. The official releases of Needless End and In Broken Trust should sound even better,

Yes. There's evident production in the songs. Not 100% live. Maybe 70%? And the mixing is weird for a live show. Still, it was good to hear the new songs.

Having in mind the previous releases, these are most probably going to sound amazing at studio.

But, we'll see on Friday after Needless End is released.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing the proper studio version. Rooftop concert version sounds great, but... more like a first demo than a live recording.