Fizzy boogie?

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
so I finally got around to micing up my new dual rec (mesa oversize cab) and I was unpleasantly surprised...

It's pure fizz at any setting, even with the presence and highs at 0, and with the mic far, far away from the center. It had no balls at all. It sounds pretty ok in the room, so logic dictates that I must have been doing something wrong with the mic.. but I tried 3 different mics in pretty much every position possible and it was all 100% weak fizzy garbage.

I was a little sick & out of it so I very well could have been doing something wrong and spacing out about it.. but I don't know. I wasn't THAT sick.

any ideas? I thought the mesa cabs were supposed to be pretty legit.

I deleted them cause I was in the middle of a project, I just decided to go with DIs and I'll reamp later..

I'll make some new clips this week and post 'em up.

it's only new to me - I believe its 4 or 5 years old.

I tried all 4 speakers. They all sounded like ass.

highpass and lowpass as usual, I even tried bringing the lowpass down to 10k.

I'll post tracks and pictures ASAP. maybe it was just some weird fluke.

there is a little tear in the grill cloth at the bottom... maybe it's like.. scraping together from the vibrations making a fizzy sound? seems far fetched though haha.

edit: oh and yes the impedance was right. 8ohms.

Which was the master level? Because these amps need to be pretty loud to work properly. Also my 6505+ is pretty fizzy but if I raise the post gain above 1 it becomes pretty biiig

Where was the global output at as well. It's useless hving the ch master high and out put anywhere below 9 o'clock. What guitar were you using? Maybe your preamp valves are goin out?

I'm willing to bet the preamp valves are fucked.
You have great amp and great cab, period.
Take it to get looked at or change the preamp tubes

Somethings got to be up with your amp or cab (check all the tubes and cables)

Im having to boost around 6k on my tracks sometimes even with the treble over noon.

Fizz is defo not a word id associate with this amp the word id use is chunk:p

Did you try lowering Presence and lowering the gain?

I found that, when I mic'd a Dual Recto/Mesa Cab, the bass was way overwhelming even when it was pretty low. The gain is so much more immense sounding thru the mic rather than the "room" sound, I feel.

[UEAK]Clowd;9092740 said:
so I finally got around to micing up my new dual rec (mesa oversize cab) and I was unpleasantly surprised...

It's pure fizz at any setting, even with the presence and highs at 0, and with the mic far, far away from the center. It had no balls at all. It sounds pretty ok in the room, so logic dictates that I must have been doing something wrong with the mic.. but I tried 3 different mics in pretty much every position possible and it was all 100% weak fizzy garbage.

I was a little sick & out of it so I very well could have been doing something wrong and spacing out about it.. but I don't know. I wasn't THAT sick.

any ideas? I thought the mesa cabs were supposed to be pretty legit.

I've been through the same route as you. I went through what I call fizz-hell.
Here's what I found out:

I know Andy gets killer sound with SM57, but for some more Djenty players, like myself and the kind
off riffing I do V30+SM57 is a disaster. I more darker voicing is needed for the sound to work with the music.

Cab sounds great in the room, right?

Try this:
Bold, Silocon settings. Loop OFF. Modern Mode Red Channel. Bass 11.30. Mids 09.30. Treble 11.30. Precense 08.00
Volume 09.00. Gain 12.30.
Use a tube screamer: Drive minimum, Tone 12.00. Level at 12.00 to Maximum.

-So, skip the 57 and use a MD421 instead. It sounds VERY different. This is key.
-Place it on-axis one inch from the grill where the cone meets the dustcap.
-HP@60hz. LP@10khz, not 12 as other people here suggests.
- minus ca. 2db@3khz Q=4. This will reduce some harshness.
- minus ca. 2db@500hz Q=4. For some reasons this makes the sound a little darker.
- pluss 2db @ 10khz Q =1. Adds the "right" high-end.

-Now, try this on each of the four speakers on your cab. What you should be looking for is the one with a darker sound that still has edge.

Maybe they are not the correct speakers in the cab. I've heard of people pulling speakers and putting in cheapos when they sell the cab.

Buy a tubescreamer thats the reason it sounds like ass trust me haha also get some new tubes that will help also power tubes are the problem most likely

Buy a tubescreamer thats the reason it sounds like ass trust me haha also get some new tubes that will help also power tubes are the problem most likely

I've heard plenty of recto clips with no boost that sound great, so I think the issue would be else where.

Maybe they are not the correct speakers in the cab. I've heard of people pulling speakers and putting in cheapos when they sell the cab.

that would be rather depressing.

Is the backplate of the cab supposed to be easy to take off? I tried it and it's like glued by a center support peice that goes to the front of the cab? I took one of the handles off to get some extra leverage and that's what I saw. It doesn't look like it is meant to come off, but obviously it is?

my roadster had the same problem last night... great sound in the room but when I heard the recorded version... it was a pure fizz :S