FL Studio 10 and Symphony X songs

mong21mg

New Metal Member
Jul 14, 2011
I'm originally a guitar player and actually a noob when it comes to FL Studio 10 and playing keyboards/piano/synthesizer. I just need your help on finding what sample (or if I need to download something) do I need to use in FL studio on these Symphony X songs:

1. Eyes of Medusa - the first keyboard solo that sounds like crystals
2. Fallen - the keyboard intro. I believe it's the same w/ the one that i'm looking for Eyes of Medusa
3. The Sacrifice - the keyboard intro. I know this is a very common sound but I'm having a hard time finding it in FL studio
4. The Communion and the Oracle - the first entry of the keyboard in the song. I believe it's the same w/ the keyboard intro in The Sacrifice but (for me) it sounds a bit magical

You need to learn about VSTi's (virtual instruments). Get the ones capable of producing the sounds you need, learn how to add them to your DAW, how to use the presets that come in them or/and tweak the VSTi until you achieve your desired sound (not to mention the use of effects and layering etc. but that can be learned later).

Regarding the sounds you asked about, here's what I personally hear:

- The one in Medusa sounds like some sound from some "bells" patch (you see in the world of keyboard sounds we tend to use certain words to categorize some typical kinds of sounds, like "bells", "pads", "leads", "strings", etc). Off the top of my head, I think "Atmosphere" by Spectrasonics has one or two presets that sound similar to the one you hear in that song with minimal tweaking needed.
- The one in Fallen is a harpsichord sound (not a real harpsichord sound, just an emulation) layered with another (lighter) "bells" type of sound to add that 'shininess'.
- The one in Sacrifice and Communion is just a piano (also just a keyboard emulation). Just find a VSTi that emulates a real piano, I think FL already comes with one.

thanks, I'm curious about the "Spectrasonics" i'll go ahead and look for that :)

oh, great, the layering thing gives me tons of ideas on the piano roll, many thanks