Symphony X on drums

Wander

10+2=6
Jan 2, 2007
Finland
How many people here actually can play some Symphony X songs on drums.

Today I decided to try learning Inferno on drums, cause I've always thought that the drum track is really cool.

The intro goes ok now (although that drum attack is hard to time right). I had to train a little to get the rhythm in the intro right. You know, it changes from 5/4 to 7/8.

The rest of the song seems to be easier, although I have to say that I'm not really good drummer so I tend to screw certain parts up... Still, I'm really proud of myself as I'm getting the hang of playing Inferno. After some time I may get it perfect.

I'm a bassist, but that's closer to a drummer than a guitarist (which most people on this forum seem to be), so I've decided to reply.

I love the drum and bass groove under the main lead guitar riff in Inferno. It's a perfect example of an awesome non-4/4 groove. And yes, the drums in Inferno are really cool. Same goes for Wicked and King of Terrors, in my opinion.

I'm a bassist, but that's closer to a drummer than a guitarist (which most people on this forum seem to be), so I've decided to reply.

I love the drum and bass groove under the main lead guitar riff in Inferno. It's a perfect example of an awesome non-4/4 groove. And yes, the drums in Inferno are really cool. Same goes for Wicked and King of Terrors, in my opinion.

Yeah. The bass line really cool in Inferno too. The bass is often drowned by guitar in The Odyssey, but when you can hear it, it's really good.

What should I try next? The odyssey on drums? XD

I can play the whole DWoT album, King of Terrors, The Odyssey, Awakenings, Egypt, Evolution, Fallen (except the ending which I'm too lazy to learn properly), most of Communion and the Oracle. I've played the live version of Into the Looking Glass because I got the live album before I got TiO. Umm...

Out of all the ones I can play the one that gives me the most trouble is the Eyes of Medusa because it takes so long to memorise (and embed into muscle memory) the bassdrum pattern in the verses and chorus. I had started notating it a while back but got really slack due to running out of free time and because I'm married now I want to spend more time with the wife and less on the computer ;).

But the pattern for the second part of the intro (by memory) is something like

BB BSBBB B BSB B BBBSB BBB BSBBB B BSB B BBBSB BBB BSB B(fill)

The verse is a little different but the execution is similar, and again the chorus I think is a little different again. If I was a little tiny bit faster with my feet I could do it with one foot, but if I try at the moment with one foot I lack volume.

Although I have gained speed since I last practised the song... Hmmm...

Eyes of Medusa does sound tough, for the reason you stated (kick drum patterns). I love it when the kick drum follows the bass and guitar, though. It makes each riff so much more powerful!