composing drums

Silent Song said:
true enough, i wasn't stressing perfection, but a little realism can help the listener avoid asking, "hey is that a drum machine?"

the lengths that you pointed out would be further than i'd ever go to achieve some degree of realism.

thanks for the tips, I could use some realism as well, but that will be later on after I've gotten decent drum backing tracks.

I was wondering if Flams are the same thing as drum rolls, if programmed correctly?

bball_1523 said:
thanks for the tips, I could use some realism as well, but that will be later on after I've gotten decent drum backing tracks.

I was wondering if Flams are the same thing as drum rolls, if programmed correctly?

flams and rolls are two completely different things. flams are when u hit with both sticks, one a split second before the other, and accent the second beat. really just meant for accents. rolls are either double bounced (letting the stick bounce on the head only twice before bringing it up) or buzzing (stick bounces as many times as it can without u losing control over it, real fast, so it sounds like a *buzz* or like someone's tearing a piece of paper, depending how good of a snare ur using. now i dont know about drum machines, so u might be able to program a lotta flams really fast and have them sound like a roll, but in real life, dont even think about it. atleast i wouldnt.