Flamenco Metal

soundave

Oct 13, 2005
MA
So, I'm delving into flamenco, and I'm really enjoying it. I began to wonder if any metalheads decided to merge metal and flamenco, and what I found is this San Francisco band called Flametal (a bit of a lame name, iyam...especially in Frisco :erk:). But here's one of their tunes, "Anda Jaleo", which uses the traditional flamenco tune, and the bulerias rhythm.

[youtube]q73TGFZfmnA&feature=related[/youtube]

I'm surprised I'm not finding any more bands like this. I know that Rodrigo y Gabriela were a metal band first... The dissonance, speed, strong syncopated rhythms, and overall virtuosity involved in flamenco seem to make it perfect to "metallize". It would end up being a branch of folk metal, I guess.

Edit: btw, for those of you unfortunate enough not to have heard Rodrigo y Gabriela...enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
That flametal thing is actually kind of cool, though I think they mostly were just going FLAMENCO SECTION - METAL SECTION - FLAMENCO SECTION etc with the exception of the guitar solo which actually was a pretty good merge.

Right. I'm pretty interested to hear the rest of their stuff. They have an album on eMusic I might DL. In one of the live clips on youtube, they have a dancer (providing rhythm with her stomps, etc.), and wonder if she's a permanent fixture or not.

The Atheist album Elements also has some flamenco influences which i dig. It´s an interesting approach to use in metal. I wonder why not more people have done it.

The Atheist album Elements also has some flamenco influences which i dig. It´s an interesting approach to use in metal. I wonder why not more people have done it.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that. It always struck me as more like latin jazz, but I suppose that's nitpicking. Atheist was pretty awesome and ahead of their time.

Flamenco is a specific kind of guitar playing found mainly in spanish (as in Spain) music while latin stuff is almost always more brazilian or cuban in nature. I have never listened to that atheist cd but just saying if it is simply "latin" bits it probably isn't flamenco.

That's why I was saying, "Latin Jazz". It's samba, as far as I know. It doesn't make use of the specific flamenco forms, which are pretty complex.

The solea por bulerias, for example, uses 12 beat form that works sort of like this (bold = accent). Starts on beat 12, and at the end, finishes with beat 10. So it looks like this, sort of:

(12) 1 2 (3) 4 5 (6) 7 (8) 9 (10) 11

And it's played at about 240 bpm.:headbang:

So far, that's a bit of what I've learned. Never mind the crazy right hand strumming and tapping! Don't hear anything quite like that in th Atheist, though I do in Flametal.

I live in spain and there was a flamenco metal band around sometime ago. Surprisingly it sounded very good, although I don't remember the name. I'll post the info if I happen to remember it while on drugs.

Anyway, if you record anything let us know.

Wow, that sounds very interesting. You have to listen the song Zambra by Hacride, it's in the album Amoeba, It has nice flamenco tunes (actually is a cover of a band called ojos de brujo).

Marc Rizzo is the shit. His first album is awesome, though I've yet to hear the new one.

Prett cool. Probably because it's well played and well executed. But after just 2 mins or something i got really tired of this stuff so i guess it's not my kind of music. The second vid was a little better actually.

On the debut CD Black Light Syndrome by Bozzio/Levin/Stevens there's one song called "Duende" that sounds flamencoish to me. (You can listen to the first 30 secs [ame="http://www.amazon.de/Black-Light-Syndrome-Bozzio-Stevens/dp/B000003ZBI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196982510&sr=8-1"]here[/ame]). Though BLS is definitely not metal, more like Prog Rock, it is a great album and especially that flamencoish song is great.

Yes, I'm going to do it again. Ne Obliviscaris' old lead guitarist was trained in Flamenco guitar, and he puts in a flamenco section in one of their songs. And it's awesome!

You're right! And keep bringing up NeO...they are awesome and need to be recognized :headbang: I can't stop listening to Tapestry...holy shite, what an amazing song!!! The vocals (especially the clean vocals over top the growls near the beginning of the song) are incredible.

I was quite pleasantly surprised by the Flametal vid...I could definitely get into this style! And the Rodrigo y Gabriela vid...whoa, just whoa!!! That was amazing. I need to delve into Flamenco a bit more. Great stuff.