Flight 666 audio CD. I have it!

I finally picked up this DVD yesterday since I was home with a cold and bored, and it was fine, nothing terribly new or mind bending. I will say this though, Maiden sounds fucking awesome these days. Really. All of them. Just flawless performances. I remember feeling that Bruce sounded fantastic when I saw them on the second leg of this tour. Still, concerts are pretty loud, so it isn't easy to tell how much of that is just pure volume. This DVD confirms for me that he is singing just as good as ever these days. In some ways, sure, he's lost a step, but in others he sounds better than he ever has.

The behind the scenes stuff is cool, but it's the performances that make this DVD worthwhile.

Bruce sounds more strained nowadays but he is more consistent at hitting the notes... for me he'll never sound better than when he first joined the band... those of you who have the Beast Over Hammersmith set from the Eddie's Archive will know what I mean. He's just the embodiment of perfection at that gig. There are a couple of bootlegs from the World Piece tour where he sounds that good too... Hammermith and Ipswich to name but two... after that he never quite sounded as good again. He had severe problems on the Slavery tour which got worse through the Somewhere in Time and 7th son tours... he got good again on the No Prayer tour (funny really because his vocals on the album aren't great). I think he's more professional now and knows how to look after his voice better... he does a better job nowadays than Geoff Tate who really sounds like he's squeezing the whole time, and Halford's high range has completely had it...

I should say as well that the Flight 666 live album gives me shivers like no Maiden live album has since Live after Death, something which I never thought I'd say again! I love it when music makes your hair stand on end and your skin feel like it's moving around... Maiden have done that for me far more consistently than any other band ever have, and that's why they'll always be number one for me...

I saw maiden live 3 times on the Beast On The Road tour in 1982, and EVERY one of the 3, he sounded in top form. Iron Maiden at Chicagofest on Navy Pier in '82 will live in my memory forever. I agree 100% that the Beast Over Hammersmith has to be one of the best live performances ever. I'm right with you on the rise & fall of Bruce's vocal skills, too. After he left maiden, I couldn't believe it was the same guy on Accident of Birth & Chemical Wedding. He's always been one of my favorite metal singers.

After he left maiden, I couldn't believe it was the same guy on Accident of Birth & Chemical Wedding. He's always been one of my favorite metal singers.

Actually only then did I start to like Bruce as a singer. I had seen Maiden before Bruce with Paul Di'Anno 3 times and really liked Paul's vocals.

So when Paul left and Bruce took over I initially did not like him at all. Even when I saw Maiden in Essen Germany during the Number of the Beast tour I was not impressed.

But like J-Dubya; later on when I heard 'Accident Of Birth" I became a big fan of Bruce and I am to this day. What he does on this DVD is really awesome!

Actually only then did I start to like Bruce as a singer. I had seen Maiden before Bruce with Paul Di'Anno 3 times and really liked Paul's vocals.

So when Paul left and Bruce took over I initially did not like him at all. Even when I saw Maiden in Essen Germany during the Number of the Beast tour I was not impressed.

But like J-Dubya; later on when I heard 'Accident Of Birth" I became a big fan of Bruce and I am to this day. What he does on this DVD is really awesome!

Missed the Killers tour by a year :(
I started with Killers, and when NotB came out, I was shocked to see a different singer. And maybe even a little pissed off. I may have missed an issue or 2 of Kerrang! back then. It was at times quite hard to find here in the US,initially. It was my best source for info on NWOBHM bands I was getting into. Beat the shit out of ANY rock rag here in the US at the time.

I had not yet heard any of BD's work with Samson, and I didn't know what to expect. I think I was pissed more just because there was a "change". Hauled ass home to spin the LP and was VERY happy with what I heard. I still remain a fan of both singers, but I don't know if they would have gone on as long and as far as they have with Paul. ANother of the many "What If" questions that will never be answered, but give me headaches thinking about them! :lol:

I think its pretty cool that Kitty and Pabla is on there, imagine that:cool:
As far as the Eddie art work goes, my booklet has this really cool pic inside with Eddie on top of the plain ripping it apart, you can see Bruce in the window in his pilot outfit. i would have liked if they put that on the front rather than the photo.
To me Eddie is really big part of Maiden, he's always been there and I never grew tired of it. I like that about Maiden, unlike Megadeth that has Vic on one cover and then not on the next.

it is totally awesome to be forever bound with Maiden in a DVD!! I've watched both discs several times and each time at the opening of the movie I get goosebumps and chills, remembering the shows we attended and the movie just pulls you right back into the moment!:headbang:

Can't wait to hear what new things Maiden has in store for us next year!!

In the late 90s, shortly after returning to form both vocally and musically, Bruce admitted that his voice was ruined in the early 90s and that he had to learn "a new method of singing". I agree that he's much more enjoyable now than he was from about 1990 - 1996.

I clearly remember being disgusted by his 1992 performance at the old Ritz in NYC....he was abysmal. It was only the 2nd or 3rd gig of that tour so I couldn't blame it on his being "overworked". I think I still dislike "Fear of the Dark" mostly due to his vocals....his screeching on "Be Quick" is painful...just ugly.

To my ears, his golden moment remains his performance on "Piece of Mind". Those are vocals to die for! His performance alone made "Icarus" a classic!

just listened to this last night...it sounds awesome! im not surprised, but whoever said it was more enjoyable than LAD was completely right, hah.

and yea...bruce is better now. though im pretty sure (well im told) that they drop all their keys too though to acompany the natural aging of his voice.

They haven't ever dropped a key or tuned down or whatever... the only time they have ever done that was changing the key of Lord of the Flies when they did it on the Dance of Death tour. I guarantee you that is the only time they have ever done that.

They haven't ever dropped a key or tuned down or whatever... the only time they have ever done that was changing the key of Lord of the Flies when they did it on the Dance of Death tour. I guarantee you that is the only time they have ever done that.

wow...they somehow are now even more impressive to me!! yea, someone had said this on the Iron Maiden forums...its pretty unique that bruce is still able to stay in the same octave :headbang:

good to hear

wow...they somehow are now even more impressive to me!! yea, someone had said this on the Iron Maiden forums...its pretty unique that bruce is still able to stay in the same octave :headbang:

More unique is that he's less pitchy than he was in the 80's. Remarkable.

I guess it has been said already extensively but yes Bruce sounds now better than he did in the mid-80's. I'm glad I could attend this tour was in a way the perfect timing evn if I should have done it in 1984 :D

IMO he's a lesson for any metal/rock singer, how to improve with age instead of decay.

This is the first time I did NOT buy and Iron Maiden Live disc...I have all previous live discs. I DID purchase the MOVIE and what a MOVIE!!!

I LOVE it! One of the best I've seen and the second disc is a headbanger's delight!!

I don't know...I'll probably pick up the audio disc down the road so I can have it for a listen here and there when I'm not in a movie mood..and make sure the collection is up to date.

Heard a bit of flack on the movie..not alot..and I don't get it..it's a fine piece of work. Though I like Metal Journey as well...:headbang:

Heard a bit of flack on the movie..not alot..and I don't get it..it's a fine piece of work. Though I like Metal Journey as well...:headbang:

Really? I hadn't read anything but praise to both Dunn documentaries. I'm amazed that any metalhead can sent flak to "Flight 666" (the movie), I saw at the cinema at was one of the best experiences I've had both as metalhead and cinematography fan. People were at awe in the place like if they're attending a religious service :kickass:

Really? I hadn't read anything but praise to both Dunn documentaries. I'm amazed that any metalhead can sent flak to "Flight 666" (the movie), I saw at the cinema at was one of the best experiences I've had both as metalhead and cinematography fan. People were at awe in the place like if they're attending a religious service :kickass:

:lol:

Yeah I was shocked too!! Over all it's well accepted. I hail it!!

:kickass: