Flotsam and Jetsam FUCKING OWNS, SLAYS, SHIT, THEY JUST PLAIN FUCKING RULE!!!

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
Just got the dvd the other day, and while not the best performance I've seen from them, it inspired me to pull out every album, listening to Cuatro right now...

Man, Neil Kernon was kicking ass even back then! Forgot how incredibly good this album is. Eric A.K. will always be one of my very favorite vocalists of all time.

It is a fucking shame that more people did not pick up My God.

Cuatro is a hugely underrated record from these boys and in thrash metal in general ... I have not heard much from them since, and need to check out some of the newer stuff

Doomsday for the Deceiver is very good, although it's what I would call 'speed metal' as opposed to 'thrash'. Probably the most impressive feature is Newsted's bass playing - I know everyone says this, but it's true. Some of that bass work is speed metal at it's finest.

If Newsted is looking for work, he should go over to the Mustaine camp, although he's probably lost all ability to play after the simplicity of his gigs with Metallica, Ozzy, and that goatawful Voivod album (you know, 'let's just follow along and play whatever the rhythm guitarist is playing'). :dopey:

JayKeeley said:
Doomsday for the Deceiver is very good, although it's what I would call 'speed metal' as opposed to 'thrash'. Probably the most impressive feature is Newsted's bass playing - I know everyone says this, but it's true. Some of that bass work is speed metal at it's finest.

If Newsted is looking for work, he should go over to the Mustaine camp, although he's probably lost all ability to play after the simplicity of his gigs with Metallica, Ozzy, and that goatawful Voivod album (you know, 'let's just follow along and play whatever the rhythm guitarist is playing'). :dopey:
FUCK THAT. Newsted should stay far, far away from the Mustaine camp...

And what is the difference between thrash and speed metal, please enlighten me... I have always considered them one and the same.

And you really don't like the Voivod album? Are you smoking PCP???

Papa Josh said:
FUCK THAT. Newsted should stay far, far away from the Mustaine camp...
True. No way could he keep up with Mustaine and Poland.

And what is the difference between thrash and speed metal, please enlighten me... I have always considered them one and the same.
I can't be arsed to disseminate genre labels since it's all heavy metal to moi, but there is a world of difference between Megadeth and, say, Anthrax. Just listen to Rust in Peace.

And you really don't like the Voivod album?
Correct. I have it, and never listen to it. Don't even yearn to listen to it. Even saw them live supporting this album, and my opinion never changed. Sepultura blew them off the stage. :Smug:

Are you smoking PCP???
If forced to listen to Voivod's last album, that would probably help. :loco:

Voivod was best with Eric Forrest, now everyone can flame me :) But I do think Negatron and Phobos are the highlights of their catalog; at least what I've heard of it.

Now that I know this DVD is out, I guess I'll be lookin to pick it up. I should get that Overkill DVD while I'm at it.

And for those who don't know, Drift was F&J's best release, but unfortunately many fans had already moved on by then.

<-- goes to listen to Doomsday for the Deceiver for the first time since buying it 6 months ago.

Newstead is an awful bassist, but all I know is his work with Metallica. Oh yeah, and David Ellefson, probably my favorite metal bassist, is now in Soulfly. :Smug:

since Megadeth came up in this topic, here are some progress pics of the new album cover.
022.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

NAD said:
Heehee, Carbonized missed the new Megadeth thread. ;)

Vic > lesser animated skeletons
ah guess i did, This album is going to be very good. I've heard about half of it and it's pretty varied. A mixed bag.

While Empty Air is one of their best songs, I think Drift is one of their worst albums.

Still, hurting from laughing my ass off at Ali's suggestion of Newsted being blown away by Mustaine and Poland. Ellefson only wishes he could play the basslines found on Doomsday For The Deceiver. Those are worthy of Steve Harris.

What are you basing this on? The World Needs A Hero? Cuz that's the last stuff I heard from Dave... :tickled:

And I see no difference between Anthrax and Megadeth. They both are from the same era, both are shadows of their former selves and haven't released a solid album since the early to mid nineties.

Flostam and Jetsam > Megadeth

And as for the Voivod comment.... I just don't know anymore.... o_O

Papa Josh said:
Still, hurting from laughing my ass off at Ali's suggestion of Newsted being blown away by Mustaine and Poland. Ellefson only wishes he could play the basslines found on Doomsday For The Deceiver. Those are worthy of Steve Harris.
Doomsday is one album (and what a dated album it has become - those vocals might as well come out the school of Jag Panzer :loco: ). Your logic is like saying Lars Ulrich is a good drummer today because of what he did on AJfA all those 16 years ago, and Doomsday is even older.

What are you basing this on? The World Needs A Hero? Cuz that's the last stuff I heard from Dave...
That's the only Megadeth album that Jason could probably try and play along with, as long as he cut the number of notes needing to be played by half. :tickled:

And I see no difference between Anthrax and Megadeth.
And therein lies the problem. I don't remember Anthrax releasing anything quite so technical as Peace Sells or Rust in Peace. Dan Spitz was probably too busy getting it up the batty by his sunday vicar.

By the way, new Megadeth is going to destroy. I'll leave it at that. :D

Flostam and Jetsam > Megadeth
I would agree with you if I was gay. o_O

Dan Spitz sucked donkey nuts. Anthrax would have been a great band if they would've cut every song in half. That being said, I still like Among the Living from time to time.

Ellefson (in his prime) > Burton

I am sorry, but Flotsam has yet to release an album like Risk....

And "nothing else matters..."

And to Ali, for the record, Doomsday is one album, but he also wrote a chunk of No Place For Disgrace....

I have never heard Ellefson play anything remotely close to Doomsday material...

Don't get me wrong, I like his playing, but let's be real... Newsted replaced Burton and did it playing with a pick.

Don't be a playa hata...