Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro/Drift

Joel-RZ

Apr 6, 2002
Fort Collins, CO
www.myspace.com
Hey Neil,

I remember you talking a little about these albums on the PM board but I was hoping to get a more in depth view. These are my favorite from F & J by far and I especially love the touches of electronic programming throughout...but Drift seemed to have far less of those moments. Wasnt there originally more on that album?
Just out of curiosity, was this something the band wanted to explore or was it your influence as the producer or a combination?

After hearing their last few efforts as a band I desperately hoped they would contact you again and recapture some of that mid-career magic. ;)

Joel

Joel-RZ said:
Hey Neil,

I remember you talking a little about these albums on the PM board but I was hoping to get a more in depth view. These are my favorite from F & J by far
I like 'Cuatro' too although I don't care much for 'Drift'. Even though that is besides your point, it's the first time I personally read that somebody prefers any F&J to "No Place For Disgrace". Besides the electronic touches, why?

Sylvain

I completely agree with Joel : Cuatro/Drift are the 2 best F&J albums ever!

I like the more timeless metal approach of these albums compared to the earlier more thrashy albums, and Neils production helps that!

In fact, I think these 2 albums have stood the test of time better than other more popular and similar releases of that period!

Another one?! Dammit! OK, when did you discover F&J? After or before "No Place..."?

BTW, I don't care much for productions unless it lowers the quality of the songs as on "When The Storm Comes Down". Otherwise, I like the tunes and for me "No Place..." has the best songs.

Sylvain

Well, I admit to getting into them after No place for Disgrace and that might possibly affect my tastes a bit. But I am also a fan of old school thrash and I feel there are much better discs than that one. I certainly dont dislike their earlier efforts but they pale in comparison to the songwriting of the Cuatro/Drift era, imo.

To me, Cuatro/Drift have a similar vibe to them, unlike any of their other albums. I do like Cuatro better than Drift though and that has to do with some of the solo's on Drift being somewhat of a let-down. But the ideas explored on those two albums are unique and different from what F&J were creating up to and after those releases. At first the guitar tone on Cuatro sounded a little thin to me, but after a few listens it had a certain character and fit with the overall sound. The vocals especially on both records have a certain appeal I dont hear on any of their other albums as well. The melodies are unique and cool and strong as hell. I like the lyrics a lot as well. I guess overall the songs just seem stronger and even catchier without losing the F&J sound. It was a new era for them, and they certainly took some chances, possibly losing some fans in the process, but the outcome musically was awesome to my ears.

And I definitely think production values have a large impact on the way an album hits or doesnt hit. Lets not forget the many aspects a producer has on a band or performer. The bands are too connected to their songs to make any changes, that may end improving the song. A good producer will not only get great instrument sounds, specific to each musician but also get great performances out of those musicians that otherwise might not make it to album. So when someone discounts production values in any way I really feel they are missing out on all the things that truly can make or break an album.

Im sure Neil could give a lot more insight to that process than ever could. ;)

Just my .02

Joel

Joel-RZ said:
Hey Neil,

I remember you talking a little about these albums on the PM board but I was hoping to get a more in depth view. These are my favorite from F & J by far and I especially love the touches of electronic programming throughout...but Drift seemed to have far less of those moments. Wasnt there originally more on that album?
Just out of curiosity, was this something the band wanted to explore or was it your influence as the producer or a combination?

After hearing their last few efforts as a band I desperately hoped they would contact you again and recapture some of that mid-career magic. ;)

Joel

Joel: On Cuatro we definitely tried more different things, as I think things had become somewhat stagnant in the Flots camp (by their own admission) and so we really worked hard to get the enthusiasm back into the writing and song structuring. As a result, I think we succeeded in getting the spark back, and Cuatro did really well compared to other releases. That prompted everybody to want to do another album together, Drift, which for me had even better songs than Cuatro, as the focus and the fire were back in full force. For me, Drift was a much more focussed album, with stronger performances all round, plus as you correctly mention, we did use a lot of electronics on the album, including loads of spoken samples, sequencing and all sorts of other colours.

However, there was a shakeup at the label during the mixing of the album, and a new head of A&R was appointed (he was a pop guy) who didn't quite "get" what we were doing. I was just about done with the mixing and got a call from him saying that he really wasn't sure about the "in your face" approach to the mixes I was doing. The band and I had been very heavily influenced at the time by the sound and production of the Prong album "Cleansing" which was exactly the way we thought we'd take Drift, in terms of sonics and recording and mixing approach. In fact I think we succeeded in making a very fiery and interesting sounding album. At that point, the A&R person who had been on the project now had her hands somewhat tied by her new boss, while he suggested I do three mixes of the songs that would most likely be the singles, that were mixed more in the line of 80s hair metal, you know, loads of big reverbs etc. I of course obliged, but the band wasn't really into that approach, so it didn't sit well with them (or me either for that matter, but I wanted to try to make everyone happy).

The A&R head preferred those mixes, but still felt that they could be done a bit more along his lines, so after the album was finished up, he asked Mike Barbiero to mix the same 3 projected radio tracks, which he did. I think Mike did a great job on those, and it made the label happy. The problem at that point was that the band only wanted those mixes to be used for radio, and the A&R guy wanted them on the record, and that would have meant having 7-8 songs sounding one way and 3 sounding very different. I should mention that I had fortnately managed to bring the album in well within budget by the time I delivered my mixes, so we did have some surplus in there to pay for some remixing. However, after some wrangling between band and label, the label got the upper hand (of course) and eventually had the entire album remixed (after the band successfully pleaded their case about some songs sounding one way etc.) to keep the sound cohesive. A good plan, but all this ended up pushing the album way over budget which precipitated things into rather messy territory, and started strainging the relationship between label and band. Also, for the remixes, due to label concerns, all the samples were removed, and the electronics downplayed or removed entirely. My mixes had a lot more stuff going on in them, as of course we had all the stuff we had recorded still in those mixes, plus the approach was a lot more aggressive than the album ended up sounding.

So, while I still like Drift, I still remember the way we had originally intended it to sound, which may or may not be better or worse - it's just different, and what I had become used to, so the final result still sounds rather barren and colourless to me in places.

All in all, I thought it was a real shame. Add to that the poor timing of the album's release in terms of trends - metal was in a steep decline - and the sales of the album were very poor by comparison to Cuatro, perhaps less than a quarter of the sales in fact. All this contributed to a big feeling of disappointment at the end of the day and the band ended up being dropped from the label as a result of the rather poor showing.

And so it goes. Sad story. I really loved working with Flots - they were all great guys, and I'd love to have the chance to work with them again.

Neil K.

Wow. Thanks for the in depth reply Neil! I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during those recordings.

Do you, by chance, still have any of those original mixes for Drift still lying around? I would *love* to hear that album as intended. I would probably love it even more than I already do for sure. When I first heard Empty Air I was hoping the whole album had that vibe to it. That song is one of the best songs in the F&J catalogue. I remember getting both Cuatro and Drift as they were released and Chris and I couldnt stop blasting them at our job (both worked in a wharehouse with all metalheads ;)).
They are really nice guys as Chris got to hang with them on the Cuatro tour and we both met up with them on their last tour (which fizzled of course) unfortunately, without Kelly and Eric...Damn I wish they would go back to this mentality of songwriting. I bet they still have a few great albums left in them with the right guy at the helm.

Anyway, Thanks again for the info...These albums will always have a strong influence on me and I love knowing more about how they were created.

Peace.
Joel

Yes I do still have the original mixes. I try to keep copies of everything I do in some for or another. They are unmastered at this point of course. There are loads of other electronics/samples on there, as I had mentioned in my previous post. Plus a few songs that never made the album too.

Joel-RZ said:
Well, I admit to getting into them after No place for Disgrace and that might possibly affect my tastes a bit. But I am also a fan of old school thrash and I feel there are much better discs than that one. I certainly dont dislike their earlier efforts but they pale in comparison to the songwriting of the Cuatro/Drift era, imo.
That's probably where we differ. I like the intensity and thrashiness of "No Place...".

To me, Cuatro/Drift have a similar vibe to them, unlike any of their other albums. I do like Cuatro better than Drift though and that has to do with some of the solo's on Drift being somewhat of a let-down.
You see, I don't care much for solos. And solos won't make or break an album for me. I have albums without a single solos and I don't complain about that. I prefer "Cuatro" to "Drift" because it has much catchier songs.

And I definitely think production values have a large impact on the way an album hits or doesnt hit. Lets not forget the many aspects a producer has on a band or performer. The bands are too connected to their songs to make any changes, that may end improving the song. A good producer will not only get great instrument sounds, specific to each musician but also get great performances out of those musicians that otherwise might not make it to album. So when someone discounts production values in any way I really feel they are missing out on all the things that truly can make or break an album.
Either the songs stand on themselves or they do not. When I used to get demos for radio shows I could tell and still can if a band can write music that *I* will like or not. Even if the sound is shitty. Of course, having a better production and sound enhances the music. However, I've often been pissed at how a "produced" song or album has changed a song that I used to like. I prefer to listen to the SADUS "D.T.P." demo songs than the released ones and same thing for DEMOLITION HAMMER.

Sylvain

Sylvain:

I also like the intensity of the earlier albums, but they were obviously in different frames of minds at the time they were writing Cuatro and Drift. They may not have been able to capture that same intensity that was captired on NPFD. I think they went with what they were feeling and were able to achieve what they set out to...and it seemed to land with more people than ever.

You see, I don't care much for solos. And solos won't make or break an album for me. I have albums without a single solos and I don't complain about that. I prefer "Cuatro" to "Drift" because it has much catchier songs.
I like a solo if it fits the song. If there is no need for a solo dont force one and what I was saying is that I felt a few of those solo's on Drift felt forced to me. I *love* both discs from start to finish, and I agree that solo's wont make or break an album for me either...but a good tasty solo warms the cockles of my heart sometimes ;)

Either the songs stand on themselves or they do not. When I used to get demos for radio shows I could tell and still can if a band can write music that *I* will like or not. Even if the sound is shitty. Of course, having a better production and sound enhances the music. However, I've often been pissed at how a "produced" song or album has changed a song that I used to like. I prefer to listen to the SADUS "D.T.P." demo songs than the released ones and same thing for DEMOLITION HAMMER.
I agree that the songs can and should stand on their own. But maybe a song didnt stand on its own until after a producer got his/her hands on it and did their thang. It certainly is cool when a band is able to achieve greatness in the eyes of their fans/critics without a knowledgable producer's touch. Unfortunately, I think that happens less than we think. Point of reference, I was bummed to learn that the drums on Master of Puppets (a landmark album in its own right) were "cut and pasted". I always envisioned Lars whacking away at the kit with his little legs and his little arms...I still enjoy that album, but the performance value has changed for me. On the other hand, I can also tell if I like a song or not without incredible production (sounds) on an album, demo or song. So I do hear what you are saying and there are several albums I have and love that suffer from poor production qualities in one way or another...and totally see the value of having a great producer...I actually look at a producer as an additionaly member of the band at the time of collaboration.

Joel

Joel-RZ said:
Sylvain:

Point of reference, I was bummed to learn that the drums on Master of Puppets (a landmark album in its own right) were "cut and pasted".

Joel

I think you'll find that happens a lot more than you think. Of course back in 85 "cutting and pasting" audio digitally was something that hadn't even been envisioned, but making a copy of a section, usually from one 24tk machine to another (while you'd also lose an analogue "generation" of course) was done on a daily basis if necessary.

Hell, on the Queen albums we had to make 16tk to 16tk or 24tk to 24tk copies of the masters onto brand new tape because they would simply wear out and start sounding very muddy. You could even see through the tape at times, when the oxide had worn so thin.

There are albums I did that I must have spent more time standing up at the tape machine editing tape than I did sitting down. These days the editing capabilities are far far more sophisticated than ever imagined back then of course. All we had back in those days was a choice of angle to make the razor blade cut! Now you can crossfade or edit each beat with ease. There were many times in the analogue domain where a specific edit simply wouldn't work. I'm not sure but I honestly don't think I've ever found that with digital editing, because you can slide in and out points so subtly to make everything seamless. It's a wonderful tool for people who are trying to make the best possible record - i.e. using only the cream of the performances etc.

Neil K.

Good points Neil. It kind of goes with what I was trying to say as well. Without a producer to do those drum edits on MoP, Lars' performances may have not come out as well, or been as creative as the final product turned out to be.

I guess the mindsets havent changed in wanting to make the best record you can, just the technology is easier to navigate in getting the precise take, or atmosphere you are going for.

So do you still have occaision to use analog tape instead of the digital realm...or do you use them in combination at all? When RZ recorded thier first album we used 2 inch tape and then dumped it into Protools from an SSL board and did the edits from there. Analog just has that warmth that soemtimes digital doesnt offer. But I must admit its pretty hard to tell the difference these days!

Joel

Well I used to prefer to track on analogue and then do the edits in Pro Tools. These days though, with the advent of 96k (and even 192k) sample rates digital sounds so fantastic that I seldom even consider analogue any longer. Considering I''ve probably done 250+ albums analogue I'd still be happy to track in that format, as long as any editing, clean up etc. could be done in the dig domain. That works well too and you have the extra fat low end if the client really feels they need it. To be honest, digital used to overemphasise the highs so much that it seemed thin as opposed to the fat bottom of analogue, but now that the sample rates don't make the highs so shrill the overall sonic spectrum sounds far more balanced out to me now.

Neil K.