Floyd rose issue

simic

New Metal Member
Oct 27, 2010
Hi, first of all sorry for opening a new thread, but I have used the search function and haven't found an answer to my question...
Anyway,
I have a Lag Arkane 1000 guitar, which has an "Original Floyd Rose USA". It's a really nice guitar, but the thing is that every time I use the whammy, the guitar goes out of tune (especially the G string). Since the guitar cost like 1.2k€ and has an original floyd this isn't supposed to happen. The guitar is about one and a half year old, and I've taken it to my local guitar shop to fix the problem, but they can't even change strings properly there (not that I don't know how to change them myself). So my question is; what can I do to solve this problem? Or is the floyd on this guitar just crap and I can't do anything about it at all...

Extra info:
-it goes slightly out of tune every few weeks (without me using the whammy) but thats normal I guess?
-I use 0.10 string gauges and have it tuned to D standard

Make sure crews at the nun are tight enough that it won't go out of tune. If you are already doing that then maybe it has new strings that haven't stretched yet. Dunno.

yeah the nut is tight, also i always stretch the strings... i'm probably gonna take it apart and oil it or something... hope that'll solve the problem :zzz:

A properly set up Floyd Rose should never go out of tune. The guitar I've been using a lot lately is a Jackson RR3 which doesn't even have an original floyd rose. It has a license floyd rose, and it still stays in tune. I have a couple suggestions..

Firstly, if you're tuning in D standard you should probably be using 11 gauge strings. I tune to D standard and use 11s firstly because I like them, but technically if you tune every string a whole step down you're removing a whole lot of tension. More tension and more mass = greater stability.

Secondly, if the people at your local shop are morons, taking it to a shop where they actually understand how to set up a trem may be enough to fix it. A trem system is a machine, and it needs to be lubed, balanced, kept clean without any dirt around the posts etc.

Lastly, this is rare but it may be the guitar itself. If a guitar as a hairline crack in it anywhere, that's enough to screw over a trem system. I know because I've had it happen, and tiny cracks can be hard to spot.

Bottom line: An OFR does not go out of tune when it's set up correctly and the guitar is in good shape. Take it to some pros who have specific knowledge of trem systems and see what they can do, and I seriously recommend that you consider making the jump to 11s.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll deffinately try the 11s, I've never even thought that the string gauge may be the problem... Thank you again sir :D

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll deffinately try the 11s, I've never even thought that the string gauge may be the problem... Thank you again sir :D

No problem. If/when you put on 11s, also do remember to rebalance the trem which you should be able to do yourself with a screw driver.

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/FloydTuning.htm

You may know how to do that already, but if not, go to that link and look at the picture that's in the "setup adjustment procedure" part. The picture is pretty crappy, but you can kinda see how the faceplate is even with the body of the guitar. Kinda hard to explain, but it's not hard to figure out if you google any trem set up guide.

Oh, and one last suggestion. After you put on the strings and stretched them and balanced the trem, when you're tuning before locking the nut, dive bomb on the trem before you tune. That way if there it's still little unbalanced, it stays tuned after divebombs because that's sort of the tension that it's tuned at. That way if it goes out, you can dive bomb it and it'll jump back in tune (this only works if it's just a tad unbalanced).

If none of this works, then I think it's time to start hunting a guitar tech.

Good luck! :headbang:

I've seen your reply a bit late hehe;
I took the floyd out today, sprayed some wd40 on it and polished it, also cleaned the guitar. Then i restringed it with 11s, adjusted the trem (already knew how to do that), stretched the strings, did a few dive bombs and locked the nut :D. Gonna wait for a day or 2 for the strings to completely strech out and then i hope the floyd will work as it's supposed to :D.

Thanks again for your help :headbang:

Maybe the knife edges of the trem are already worn out? This fucks the whole trem up, and this happens faster than you would think.

Nah, it works fine now, i just needed to change the string gauge and adjust the trem :D