Fly to ProgPower for free? Stay in an Atl Hotel free? Yes, you can!

Well, some of you can.
Check this link: http://air-miles-credit-card-review.toptenreviews.com/

The secret of gathering up air miles fast is to pay bills you would not consider paying with a credit card. Things like your mortgage. Or your car loan, or any other regular expense that you would be shelling out the cash for anyway.

For instance: You can get the SouthWest air miles card, and pay your rent with it for two months running. That, and a couple of other expenses (like gas or groceries) will put you over the minimum requirements to get two free round trip tickets!

You can also get the new Hilton Rewards card and use it in the same way to get 50,000 hotel stay points (enough to put you up in a decent Hilton), or the Mariott Rewards card for, say, the Residence Inn--I KNOW the Mariott Rewards deal works, because I did it last year.

I'm just saying that if you have bills you are going to have to pay anyway, pay them by credit card and send a check to the CC company and not your rental office, bank, or car financing company. The rewards build incredibly fast, and you save BIG when it is time to come to Atlanta!

I tried the mariott reward deal a few years back at the Residence and it didn't work for me. I had a deluxe room with two bedrooms and two baths, and they wouldn't let me use my points for it. It would have worked for a regular single room, but not the big rooms. I was a bit pissed as I had enough points built up to get several free nights. I did end up using some of those points in other locales, so it worked out.

Britt

We use an AMEX, which doesn't allow us to carry a balance. Of course my wife won't let me use the miles or points for ProgPower, but that's beside the point :bah:

You might reconsider that. If you are using the AMEX Rewards program, then using them for travel is the best way to get the most from your points, i.e. gives the best value of points per dollar (or whatever it's called). If you book flights and/or hotel through AMEX Travel, you are given an option to "pay with points".... and even if you don't have enough to cover the full amount, they let you keep applying additional points you accumulate for up to 9 months beyond the purchase date.

You might reconsider that. If you are using the AMEX Rewards program, then using them for travel is the best way to get the most from your points, i.e. gives the best value of points per dollar (or whatever it's called). If you book flights and/or hotel through AMEX Travel, you are given an option to "pay with points".... and even if you don't have enough to cover the full amount, they let you keep applying additional points you accumulate for up to 9 months beyond the purchase date.

Oh we definitely use them for travel, but my wife makes sure it's for family vacations and not my metal pilgrimages! :lol:

If a person is disciplined enough to pay off the cards, without any interest rates creeping up on them, then I say go for it!

~Brian~

I agree. My point being, you have bills you have to pay all at once anyway. This year, I can drive to ATL as usual, or I could just pay my rent with the Southwest credit card and write the check to Southwest instead of my landlord. It really is that simple.

The caveats to this plan are, of course, that you have to have a rather large recurring payment, are a new credit card user, and have the credit rating that qualifies you to get the card in the first place.

It NEVER makes sense to carry a balance on a credit card after you use it for a recurring bill payment.