hotel problems! marriot midtown, might wanna read this

Anyone staying at a Marriott family hotel should enroll as a mariott rewards member. After 4 pp, the room I am getting is going to be free, essentially...plus you get a bunch of other advantages, like being able to easily escalate an issue if the hotel tries to screw you.

Plus, booking online with your member number provides you with greater peace of mind--it is a LOT harder for them to "lose" a reservation when you have a printout with your member number and a computer generated reservation associated with it.

Since i booked our rooms at the RI I have been calling and confirming the reservations at least once a month, and all is good. Of course i booked with an AARP discount so they would not screw over a senior citizen, cause then it is age discrimination, hehehehehehehehe.

Since i booked our rooms at the RI I have been calling and confirming the reservations at least once a month, and all is good. Of course i booked with an AARP discount so they would not screw over a senior citizen, cause then it is age discrimination, hehehehehehehehe.

You old fart. I'm simply staying in my on-campus apartment all weekend, like I am all year! Seriously though, it's ridiculous what you guys have to go through. If there's a last minute emergency, I can check with my roommates and someone can crash with me. :)

I just found out the other day that my work has an apartment in Atlanta since we have an office there. I may enquire whether I could stay for the weekend. I don't know where the apartment is but I know the office is not far from the venue. Looking at the calander it looks there a number of "Employee & wife" stays that I'm pretty sure aren't work related.
*crosses fingers* (if I am able to, it means a room at the Granada will open up)

You old fart. I'm simply staying in my on-campus apartment all weekend, like I am all year! Seriously though, it's ridiculous what you guys have to go through. If there's a last minute emergency, I can check with my roommates and someone can crash with me. :)

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE i may be old but it does have it's advantages, like senior citizen's discounts at Denny's and Waffle House, Git er Done.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE i may be old but it does have it's advantages, like senior citizen's discounts at Denny's and Waffle House, Git er Done.

everytime i see old people go into waffle house they like order these massive meals, like 40 dollars for 2 people, and at waffle house thats alot, they finish like 1/4 of the meal, then leave about a dollar for their server.

Interesting thread, we've stayed at the Marriot Midtown suites every year since PP3 and never had a single problem (aside from the fact the rate seems to go up every year, from about $90 the first year to $139 this year). This was an especially timely reminder for me because I ended up selling my GB's and we won't be attending this year, but I completely forgot that I had already reserved the room that I needed to cancel.

jkohn, you won't be there? Ack, there shall be a dearth of your awesome photos afterward. :(

Who is this Gunstar6 imposter? I'll rip his throat out for trying to replace the wonderful and awesome Gunstar9. =D

Yea, and besides, they all got wiped out when Starfighter Command got hit by Xur and the Kodan Armada...all except Gunstar One. :D

On a more serious note, I should be rooming with Pellaz, so I'm not too worried about my reservation. Woot.

Maybe I should check on it. It won't matter; I'll probably end up with two separate rooms instead of one 2-BR suite again, and frankly it's been pretty cool that way anyway.

jkohn, you won't be there? Ack, there shall be a dearth of your awesome photos afterward. :(
Well, I wouldn't have been able to take pictures anyway :mad:. That's wasn't the main reason we decided not to go, but it did play a part. Bottom line is that the lineup wasn't quite as appealing this year and it came down to a choice between PP and another vacation we were wanting to take (couldn't do both).

They have these things called film cameras -- older folk might remember them from the Predigital Age -- that are allowed into PPUSA without restrictions......

Uh huh. Read one post above yours. They are a prohibitively expensive way to take concert pics.

Of course i booked with an AARP discount so they would not screw over a senior citizen, cause then it is age discrimination, hehehehehehehehe.

LOL! About two Progpowers ago, there was a guy in the lobby of Earthlink that was tickled pink and boasting that he got an AARP discount on his room. He even showed us his card (giggle).

Uh huh. Read one post above yours. They are a prohibitively expensive way to take concert pics.

Not completely true if you know how to use a 35mm SLR. I bet if I took my Canon AE-1 (a 25 year old camera) or Rebel OS and my digital Nikon, I'd get better pictures out of my Canons. And I spent 4x the amount of money on the Nikon without paying for a memory card but meanwhile was able to get the AE-1, extra lenses, filters, external flash and a case for around $100 on ebay. The Rebel was my mom's so I don't know exactly how much she paid but it is 10 years old and still perfectly usable today. After 3 years of use, I've found my digital camera has a horrible focus and forget the zoom, it's a pointless feature in a dark setting (and actually almost any setting that might require a flash). I researched the camera a lot and the reviews were very good but I imagine not many people had tried using the camera in a concert setting. It's perfectly fine for day to day stuff but not what I'd prefer to be using it for. The only benefit of it is that it's small and can be hidden in my purse since many shows won't allow for cameras. If I can get both cameras in, I'll do a test at the Kamelot show in August.
I find that very few people really know how to manually setup up a camera for different circumstances and rely way too much on the automatic settings to do it for them, which is when you have issues with poor pictures. I barely knew anything until I took a photography class in college. Regarding the cost, most professional photographers use rather expensive DSLR cameras to get their shots and not the $200-300 ones you get at Walmart which are about the equivalent of a 35mm point and shoot.

Anyway, offtopic. Going to enquire about the apartment this week so hopefully I can save on some major money. Hell, I could work while I'm down there and not have to take full vacation days Thursday & Friday.

My first year staying at the Granada, and of course I am more than nervous about all the horror stories I have heard over the years. We shall see if its there when I show (I have been checking it monthly).

Not completely true if you know how to use a 35mm SLR. I bet if I took my Canon AE-1 (a 25 year old camera) or Rebel OS and my digital Nikon, I'd get better pictures out of my Canons....

True, about film SLRs.....but I was also thinking in terms of (film) instamatics and disposables, which are also allowed.

--Not that I'd expect jkohn to use something like those, but for casual users, why not have some way to preserve the memories?

True, about film SLRs.....but I was also thinking in terms of (film) instamatics and disposables, which are also allowed.

--Not that I'd expect jkohn to use something like those, but for casual users, why not have some way to preserve the memories?

Not to keep this thread off topic, but Wizrat tells me that to take just 24 shots each of 15 sets over three days in 35mm would cost >$75 in film alone. It would cost another $60 to get 15 rolls of 24 exposure film developed. To take as many shots as he usually does would cost over $200.00.

Not to keep this thread off topic, but Wizrat tells me that to take just 24 shots each of 15 sets over three days in 35mm would cost >$75 in film alone. It would cost another $60 to get 15 rolls of 24 exposure film developed. To take as many shots as he usually does would cost over $200.00.

Yeah, that's pretty much the reason why I've stopped doing film photography for the most part. I think it sucks about the camera policy, but that's the way Glenn wants to do it I guess. I was going to buy a digital SLR system for such occasions, since my digital P&S is just not good enough, but now I can't use that. Probably a good thing I still have a film SLR.

Getting back on topic, after all the hotel and travel problems last year, I just decided it wasn't worth it for me to go through all that trouble to get to ProgPower. Course, I found out I had a conflict with NEARFest, so I'm not going to ANY festivals this year. :erk: It doesn't help that I am having a lot of schedule conflicts with the local shows this year as well. This is just the year that Jason doesn't get to go to concerts....

Jason