FML - Laugh your arse off

Charlez

Carlos Rosa
Jul 26, 2010
Puerto Rico
Today I recieved an email from a band that is looking for someone to mix their CD which was recorded at a "studio". I've seen the studio update on a youtube video, seems like a cool place, with decent equipment (Avalon preamps, pro tools hd stuff) Ok, so I reply saying, send me some tracks from one of the songs, and I'll mix that and send you a clip, if you like it then we do this.

So, I begin receiving the tracks (still recieving them as you read this) and yeah you guessed it....Garbage.

These are the drum tracks they sent me:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9799371/Raw Drumtracks (RJC).mp3

This is pretty common here, a lot of people have studios with expensive equipment, and all they record is pure garbage. Happened to me once in October last year, and now again.

This is unusable.

Not only that, the guy (the drummer) told me he didn't want it sound replaced, he wanted the drums to sound natural. :lol:

So yeah, /rant I guess.

I take it their drummer is a dog and it knocked over the drum kit.

Also if I ever produce a drum recording that bad please burn my equipment :lol:

lol what the fuck is this?? are you sure they didn't bounce it out wrong?? Even the hi hat/trash can lid or whatever it is sounds all down-pitched or something. Yikes, good luck haha.

Still a pretty shit recording though imho. I'm a complete amateur and don't have great gear, but my drum recordings piss all over that!!!

/ego off

This is really cool, slowed down drums! I think I might record some drums at 192kHz for use for some basic compression tutorials. I could use different attack/release/ratio/knee etc. settings while working at 192 and then slow it right down to make the characteristics more audible to noobs