What is your "studio"?

AndrewB

That Darn Kid
Jul 21, 2011
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I'd be interested to find out how many people on this forum record and mix in a professional studio vs. recording and mixing in a basement/home studio.

Personally, I record and mix in my basement. My equipment amounts to 3 guitars, 1 bass, 1 guitar amp half stack, 2 57's, 2 vocal mics, 1 preamp and 1 interface, going into Sonar. The quality I get from it is relatively good, though.

What about you?

I was recording out of the garage, and then went into my own small space in Virginia...But now I'm recording in my room since I'm full time in school again.

I used to have Pod XT Pro, 2 guitars, 1 bass, Firepod, and Focusrite Preamp (Shitty Trakmaster Lol), 2 Sm57's, Shure Sm7b, & Studio Projects C1.

I have a studio that I use only for tracking because I´m not confortable with the idea of receiving random bands that I don´t know in my home.
All the mix, master, reamps and whatever is done alone at home in my spare time.

Home studio for majority of work.

Freelance tracking at other locations for drums & vox.

I'm almost going the reverse now..

All tracking at an SSL studio, and more and more I'm editing/mixing at home.

within 6 months, I'm sure I'll be tracking everything but Drums and Reamping at my home studio.

Pre production at band rehearsal space

Freelance tracking for drum and vox on others studios (I'm really lucky to have 3 great studios near where I live (one 2 room SSL studio (Tom Hidley design), one 2 room Euphonix/Laffont studio and one single room SSL studio), so I switch from one to an other depending of what the budget is).

All the rest in home studio (guitars, bass tracking, editing, mixing)

i ususally track everything at my bands rehearsal space, fully treated.
mixing at my treated appartement. i work with bands at the rehearsal space, i mix and master (alone) at my "home" studio.

bands dont have the budgets anymore to rent a "real" studio, unless i (the producer) work(s) for free. so this is the only way to survive
at the moment, keep the "studio" costs down.

id love to have a huge drumroom, but actually i dont really need it...

I own a building and setup shop there. Got plenty of room for large control room, and decent sized live room.

I'm turning my band's practice space into a studio right now. 4 rooms total: control, live, lobby, and then my band's space that could also be used as a pre-pro room to hear all the songs first. I've been working on getting the live room up to par the last couple weeks. Up until I started doing this I've been doing everything in a bedroom or other band's space.

modest mixing/editing office for easy stuff at home.

ridiculous bells and whistles studios for bigger work.