Studio Internship... so stoked!

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Ok, so recently I reconnected with my old guitar teacher that I had back when I was like 15... back then, I completely sucked at guitar and barely was playing Nirvana riffs. lol. So after catching up a bit and him learning that I went to school for music and started learning the art of mixing on my own, he wanted to hang out and have me over to check out his studio and have a drink or two. I brought over a few mixes I've done from either my own songs or mixes from the stems here on the forums, and he pretty much told me he's opening a studio and offered me an internship!

It won't be anything full-time, as it's a non-paid internship and I still have to work full time to support my family. But it will be something I do after work for a few hours a day. He's had his own studio that he constructed out of his basement for a long time, and already has a long list of credits for various artists he's recorded, but it's time for him to expand. So I know he doesn't have money to pay me, and to be honest, since I didn't go to school for audio production, I didn't expect to get a paid gig doing it to start off.

So, needless to say, I'm SOOOOOOO stoked for this opportunity to gain some real life experience working with bands and learning all the ins and outs of production.

Since he's usually on the road touring at least 2-3 days a week, he wants to get me to a point where I'm comfortable enough to take over the studio for him while he's out so he doesn't have to book clients around his schedule. Once I get to that point, he said he'll start paying me once he starts getting more business. And, going into this, he already has 3 signed contracts ready to go from bands wanting to start recording next month. The studio is already built, we just have to move his gear over.

Anyway, I'm too excited not to share this news!

From a pro studio engineer (some of you guys) to a noob (me), what would you recommend I focus on as a total beginner? Sure, I've been learning how to record and mix on my own little setup, but I've NEVER worked with sound treatment, micing drums, vocal recording, etc etc. This is all new to me. lol. So any suggestions on what I should be asking and learning up front working in a real studio would be GREATLY appreciated! Cheers dudes! :kickass:

From a pro studio engineer (some of you guys) to a noob (me), what would you recommend I focus on as a total beginner? Sure, I've been learning how to record and mix on my own little setup, but I've NEVER worked with sound treatment, micing drums, vocal recording, etc etc. This is all new to me. lol. So any suggestions on what I should be asking and learning up front working in a real studio would be GREATLY appreciated! Cheers dudes! :kickass:

You can learn vital lessons just by watching how he handles a recording session with the musicians. Sitting in on one session with a good engineer, just being quiet and observing, can be more educational than fifty years of studying. All the technical stuff is totally trivial compared to handling the artists.

That being said, I'm not sure how this goes with you two since you're already familiar with each other, but remember that an intern's job is to be quiet and do whatever is thrown at him. Wait for a good moment to ask questions and such. Don't go over your limits, be humble and eager to learn and it can be a great experience for both of you!

I've had an intern in on one recording session, and it was a joy. The guy really had his shit together and made my life a lot easier.

Be nice! If he is a guitar teacher he knows a shit load of musos yet he chose you, he must see something great in you so just show him the respect he deserves and be honest and reliable. You're already a shoe in for the gig

You can learn vital lessons just by watching how he handles a recording session with the musicians. Sitting in on one session with a good engineer, just being quiet and observing, can be more educational than fifty years of studying. All the technical stuff is totally trivial compared to handling the artists.

That being said, I'm not sure how this goes with you two since you're already familiar with each other, but remember that an intern's job is to be quiet and do whatever is thrown at him. Wait for a good moment to ask questions and such. Don't go over your limits, be humble and eager to learn and it can be a great experience for both of you!

I've had an intern in on one recording session, and it was a joy. The guy really had his shit together and made my life a lot easier.

Precisely this. I'm just going to add that i've had to fire an intern before because he wouldn't shut the hell up when I was trying to work. Kept having loud annoying conversations with guitar players like I wasn't trying to work with the drummer at the same time. Be quiet, courteous, helpful, and pay attention. You'll learn TONS

Good on you mate... That's how i learnt everything.

Without meaning to sound condescending, try and just observe and make notes from the begining; never question the engineer you're learning from in front of the artist. Wait til the end of the day, people are paying for this time, and interupting tracking for this doesn't look good.

Put as much passion into cleaning and tidying the studio as you do into recording;
And most importantly; you better be DAMN good at making Tea and Coffee; Offer it constantly.

haha, well I don't drink coffee, but I suppose I'll start learning how to make it. I do make some damn good tea though. lol. Yeah, makes sense not to question his "authoritahhhhhh" in front of the customer.
Thanks for the tips!