Focusrite scarlett 18i20??

ronnan

Tactical Header
Apr 14, 2006
Ireland
www.myspace.com
Hey all, anybody have any experience with the scarlett 18i20? I need a USB 8 input interface at the minute and its a toss up between this and presonus audiobox 18vsl.

Cheers
Ro

Can only tell about the 18i6, if that helps you. Should be quite similar, but has 2 preamps only and no adat out. Works like a charm, no problems with drivers and whatsoever. No dropouts or stuttering with low buffer sizes for me. Good latency, can easily play guitar using ampssims with it (no hard numbers here, but if that's ok then latency is basically not an issue). Decent quality for the price. Very flexible routing using the provided software, for setting up different mixes and stuff. Built like a tank, I would only like to have potis of better quality, they do not seem to react properly on very(!) low settings.

I've got an 1818VSL and it is a great unit also. No driver issues, no problem running at low latency and pres are very clean. Had it over a year and zero issues. It comes with free Studio One 2 Artist also which i didn't think would be a big deal since I have been a Cubase and Protools owner for years and haven't really had a desire to switch, but installed it not too long ago on a whim and ended up upgrading to the Producer edition I liked it so much. I still mostly use Cubase when I am on a deadline since I know it the best, but have been using Studio One 2 more and more.

Anyway, I'm sure you'd be happy with either unit. The main thing is the sound, and the pres on the VSL seem to be top notch.

Good luck!

It's not out yet is it? I'm interested in this myself for drums. I need an 8 input USB pre at about that price range, maybe a little more.

I think it only just came out, so I doubt there are many user experiences available yet.

I just took delivery of my Focusrite 18i20 today. I had been waiting for a store to show in stock (I'm in England), and yesterday was the first time I'd seen one online ready to ship. Still at the day job, haven't even unboxed yet.

I'm also busy every night for at least the next week, so a proper test might take me a while :)

It's not out yet is it? I'm interested in this myself for drums. I need an 8 input USB pre at about that price range, maybe a little more.

Some UK stores started showing stock yesterday. I've been checking online and asking at stores for a while now. I hope it is worth the wait.

Didn't realise it wasn't out yet. I might hold off till its gets a bit of feedback. Waiting for ages for an affordable 8 channel USB interface and two arrive at once.haha

It works!

Just recorded a session using 7 channels, no dropouts, it was easy to use. I'm happy with it so far.

I'm also interested to know if all scarlett interfaces have the same mic preamp, ad/da converters and so on and only main difference are the number of in and outputs?