For all you Lady Gaga fans...

lady gaga, despite being dressed musically as pop candy, is actually damn fucking good. from composition to delivery and of course, all the tassle that goes with her persona, she's pretty darn awesome in every way! thumbs up here all round!

also... i love the song TEETH, you guys should check it out, i love the fucking mix so hard :p

Eh, I absolutely cannot stand ANYTHING that falls under the umbrella of "Dance pop".
It's music that's manufactured for the sole person of getting girl's bootys shaking. If it's not doing that, it's just background music in shops.
There's no way you'd put on a Lady Gaga listen to it, sit there and give it your full attention like you would, for example, Katatonia's Night is The New Day or Opeth's Blackwater Park.
Don't get me wrong, great props to the Redone dude and all the engineers involved in getting a great sound, don't get me wrong, but I think all parties involved are entirely aware it's not music that's intended to be particularly meaningful and highly emotional.
IIRC, Risk Astley even said of his own music that "it's just pop music".

She definitely should have just stayed Stefani Germanotta.
This performance kicks the shit out of anything she currently does under the Lady Gaga tag, and without the stupid fashion shtick. It's something I could (and I just did, as I watched it) give my full attention too and actually feel emotionally on a deep level. The Gaga thing, it doesn't have any soul to it at all, it's just superficial music, for all the superficial girls who want to dance.
Sure, maybe it didn't pay the bills as well, but I've got much more respect for an artist who probably works a day job, and then puts full heart into the music, than one who goes all out and sells their soul to the industry as she did.
Just boggles my mind as to why you'd want to waste that much talent and potential really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I absolutely cannot stand ANYTHING that falls under the umbrella of "Dance pop".
It's music that's manufactured for the sole person of getting girl's bootys shaking. If it's not doing that, it's just background music in shops.
There's no way you'd put on a Lady Gaga listen to it, sit there and give it your full attention like you would, for example, Katatonia's Night is The New Day or Opeth's Blackwater Park.
Don't get me wrong, great props to the Redone dude and all the engineers involved in getting a great sound, don't get me wrong, but I think all parties involved are entirely aware it's not music that's intended to be particularly meaningful and highly emotional.
IIRC, Risk Astley even said of his own music that "it's just pop music".

She definitely should have just stayed Stefani Germanotta.
This performance kicks the shit out of anything she currently does under the Lady Gaga tag, and without the stupid fashion shtick. It's something I could (and I just did, as I watched it) give my full attention too and actually feel emotionally on a deep level. The Gaga thing, it doesn't have any soul to it at all, it's just superficial music, for all the superficial girls who want to dance.
Sure, maybe it didn't pay the bills as well, but I've got much more respect for an artist who probably works a day job, and then puts full heart into the music, than one who goes all out and sells their soul to the industry as she did.
Just boggles my mind as to why you'd want to waste that much talent and potential really.

I disagree.... sure, maybe for you, you appreciate her more and would pay more attention etc if she stuck to that sort of thing, but obviously for her, she is either 1, happy with what she is doing and becoming mega rich while doing it, or 2. not exactly happy, but it's a job she is happy to continue and is becoming mega rich from it. a lot of people are enjoying it, and for her that may be all she needs.

i've given up thinking all music needs to be interesting/ important blah blah. she makes fun cachy arse music and does some stupid crazy shit to boot. and she get's some pretty full on airplay when im in the car with my gf between bloodbath and arch enemy... so yeh, like you said about rick astley, he knows it's just pop, and she might too! so where's the issue :)

She's been producing hits for ages behind the scenes, I think she's due her moment in the spotlight.

Absolutely.

Not only that but she has a fantastic voice as well. I think if she did an album of just piano and vocals, it would sell like crazy. Mainly because the people who think she is just a gimmick would see that she is a fantastic musician.

I am sure some people dislike her because she does have a gimmick with her outrageous sense of fashion but I don't understand how that correlates with her musical ability.

I disagree. maybe YOU wouldn't (and that's fine, perfectly respectable) but I HAVE actually done that. There's a ton of interesting shit going on in this music... even in just that vocal stem alone.

Firstly,

I am so fucking sick of the idea that if you aren't farting into a tuba accompanied by a monk bloodletting onto a field snare then you aren't making "real art." As though being willfully obtuse and contrarian lends any more credibility to you than if you wrote pop songs. If making the music brings you joy that's great, but don't try to discredit someone else for finding the same joy in different music. Of the hundreds of musicians I know (including guys doing stadium tours), very few make a living just writing and playing. There are few people in the world who could do this for anything but the love. It just doesn't work like that.

Secondly, you're pretty much dead wrong on all accounts. Tell Lady Gaga that the music she writes isn't meaningful or highly emotional (and since when does music have to be the latter?), and she'll probably bitch slap you with the swordfish she's got sewn into the left glove of whatever costume she's wearing at the time.

*Edit*

I actually missed this part at first:

The Gaga thing, it doesn't have any soul to it at all, it's just superficial music, for all the superficial girls who want to dance.

Wow... you are just dead fucking wrong. On virtually all counts - completely off base and just not accurate with any of these statements.

I am so fucking sick of the idea that if you aren't farting into a tuba accompanied by a monk bloodletting onto a field snare then you aren't making "real art." As though being willfully obtuse and contrarian lends any more credibility to you than if you wrote pop songs. If making the music brings you joy that's great, but don't try to discredit someone else for finding the same joy in different music. Of the hundreds of musicians I know (including guys doing stadium tours), very few make a living just writing and playing. There are few people in the world who could do this for anything but the love. It just doesn't work like that.

I always thought quote was reserved for Gareth :lol: I kid I kid

Wow... you are just dead fucking wrong. On virtually all counts - completely off base and just not accurate with any of these statements.

+10000

I love what she and her producers and songwriters do. This is on a higher level then 99,8% of the whole dance shit out there. I dig her songs so much that I did a cover of her Telephone Song with my band about 5 months ago. It's running good on youtube! ;)

While I try to avoid getting stuck into the narrow metalhead mind frame that anything remotely popular is immediately soulless, commercial garbage, I think it's also worth not overstating the value or role of those particular kinds of music. Dance pop is hardly the height of humankind's cultural output. No doubt some of the finest songwriters, producers and technicians in the world work on this music, and they probably care about the output a lot, but that doesn't change that the music itself has remained largely formulaic and 'safe' for some decades now.

This:

Let's have some fun, this beat is sick
I wanna take a ride on your disco stick
Let's have some fun, this beat is sick
I wanna take a ride on your disco stick

.. is hardly soul-moving stuff.

If you can enjoy it for what it is, more power to you, but it's worth not deluding oneself that it's anywhere near the height of artistic output as far as music is concerned. We're not exactly competing with the Romantic era here. I would hope that's obvious to anyone. I would certainly hope it's obvious to those of us who produce full time... as it's important that we not delude ourselves into thinking our production methods mean much more than they actually do. No amount of vocal FX, editing, or re-arranging is going to alter what's inherently a very simple and superficial piece of music. It may be a very difficult to write and execute simple and superficial piece of music, but nonetheless that is what it remains.

One of the major drawback for me is that lyrics like these:

Let's play a lovegame
Play a lovegame
Do you want love?
Or you want fame?
Are you in the game?
Doin' the lovegame

.. are so common in these genres, and to their listeners they perpetuate this sex/fame/fashion obsessed culture that has been spilling out of the US and eating away the rest of the world like a cancer ever since I've been alive. One of the main drawbacks to popular music for me are the negative resonances it has with its target base. There is always a connection based on extremely superficial concepts, and it usually reinforces ideas or stereotypes that are socially counterproductive, vain or just plain idiotic.

If you like to listen to it, more power to you. Just don't overstate its worth.

...and songs about Satan are so much more productive to society.

Now, I'm not saying that those lyrics are amazing because they certainly aren't. However, take lyrics from some death metal bands...they might be a little more...creative, but they certainly aren't too deep.

Not all music has to have a serious subject associated with it.