for fans of October Tide and Early Katatonia

I recommend 2 things:
Record guitars by placing a decent microphone (Shure sm57) against a decent amp, I hate the sound of distorted guitars being plugged directly into the pc.
Also, learn to use anything like Fruity Loops, it will make everything much nicer.

And now that I've listened to it, I must say I'd be a fan if you polish it up a bit more. In its current state it's just some random (good) riffs, but they don't really flow into each other, it needs structure.
Just honest comments aye!

alright, just listened and i have to agree with everything Cerulean said. it was awesome though, can't wait to hear more ^_^ as for your drum situation, there is a program for computers that's like a drum machine called Hammerhead (or something like that). give it a shot.

Cerulean said:
I recommend 2 things:
Record guitars by placing a decent microphone (Shure sm57) against a decent amp, I hate the sound of distorted guitars being plugged directly into the pc.
Also, learn to use anything like Fruity Loops, it will make everything much nicer.

A Rode NT1 or NT1A are also pretty good on guitars(pretty cheap as well compared to say a Neumann U87).

@ Jinn
Sounds good. Definately lacks drums.
One thing though, have you EQed the guitars at all? IMO the highs need to be lowered, might help get rid of the harshness.
I can definately hear early Katatonia, and I love the riff at 1:42

If you have a lot of money and CPU you might want to look into BFD as a drum machine, but then again I used to get away with using a tracking program like impulse tracker for drums, nice, easy and free!

What program did you use to record?

hello this is great

it reminds me of old katatonia and old october tide

i was cranking it because the melodies are so sorrowful and emotionful

its very similar to old katatonia like you said. it almost could be off one of the albums!

it inspired me so i made a song too! please check it out. i'd be HONORED if jinn could do vocals on it? maybe post it back here when you do?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

DOWNLOAD MY SONG HERE

http://s50.yousendit.com/e.aspx?id=35DVJUGX8ITIP2Z2J5FEZ12LY9

haha, wow, glad you guys liked that. I slapped all of that together off the top of my head over a period of 3 days [on and off... maybe 30 hours total?]

The amp situation is bad, as my guitar amp is blown out [don't ask :p] and it's a $60 practice amp, so it'll take me a good while to get a decent amp.

Also, I've deadened my guitars a little [I'm going back in my garage to record in a bit] while still retaining the sharpness that I prefer.

Aye, I seriously need to get drums... however I've picked up two guitarists after showing them my little demo so I'm hoping to get a drummer and [hopefully] a bassist soon, so I'll play without drums for a bit... I mean hell, it's only a rough draft... :p

I used Cool Edit Pro 2 to record the song, which is a kickarse program imo...

hopefully in the [near] future [that is, once I get a full feckin band] We'll polish it up a bit and streamline it into a kickass song! \m/!

Thanks for all comments before and after this post! every opinion helps!

moonz said:
hello this is great

it reminds me of old katatonia and old october tide

i was cranking it because the melodies are so sorrowful and emotionful

its very similar to old katatonia like you said. it almost could be off one of the albums!

it inspired me so i made a song too! please check it out. i'd be HONORED if jinn could do vocals on it? maybe post it back here when you do?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

DOWNLOAD MY SONG HERE

http://s50.yousendit.com/e.aspx?id=35DVJUGX8ITIP2Z2J5FEZ12LY9

woah, really? haha! Hell, It'd be an honor and my pleasure to do some guest vocals. I'll see what I can do!

sounds pretty good...i didn't hear any bass though, and it definitely needs drums. your growls are excellent though. i'd suggest thickening up the guitars a bit, adding lower parts, in some places i was waiting for the thick riffs to hit but it never came...this could be due to the less than optimal recording situation but i think it would benefit from some meatier rhythm parts. my 2 cents. keep rockin :cool:

Good stuff, Jinn. It sounds pretty good so far bro. I'm sure it'll be a lot better when you have the necessities thrown in there. ^_^

cthulufhtagn said:
sounds pretty good...i didn't hear any bass though, and it definitely needs drums. your growls are excellent though. i'd suggest thickening up the guitars a bit, adding lower parts, in some places i was waiting for the thick riffs to hit but it never came...this could be due to the less than optimal recording situation but i think it would benefit from some meatier rhythm parts. my 2 cents. keep rockin :cool:

spot on

hey jinn. check out www.mixposure.com its a site where you can host songs and get feedback. its helped me a lot since iv been talking to some real producers who'v given me some tips.. youv got some talent and some great ideas, but the recoding itself could defnitly improve. i hate using drum machines. i use fruity loops but i hate it wih an unholy vengeance. i also use cool edit and a digital 4 track.

Wanderer said:
It is too melodic.There can be (more) riffs.Acoustic parts are awesome esp 2.53.Your vocal is nearly awesome too.And without a bass it is hard to criticise the song.From now on you are a rival of katatonia :p
agreed :Spin:

Aye, there is a bass guitar thrown in there, it's just really quiet. it starts at the second repeat of the intro riff, and you can hear it really well during the first acoustic part.

I read an article about a bassist [I forget who it is... I'll try to remember] who wanted his bass to be felt, not heard. I was kinda thinking about that when recording, so I intentionally lowered the bass volume.

UPDATE: Moonz, I finished the vocals on yer song, and might I say you're a kickass guitarist! I'll be posting it soon

EDIT: Erm.... well, I can either email it to you, or a nice fellow can offer to host it. I think it's feckin kickass though.... my best recorded vocals IMO.

Your growl reminds me a bit of Mikael's! And since I know you're a Bloodbath fan, that must be an honour to hear.

Jinn said:
Aye, there is a bass guitar thrown in there, it's just really quiet. it starts at the second repeat of the intro riff, and you can hear it really well during the first acoustic part.

I read an article about a bassist [I forget who it is... I'll try to remember] who wanted his bass to be felt, not heard. I was kinda thinking about that when recording, so I intentionally lowered the bass volume.

A good way to do that is to EQ the bass and boost the lows(around 40 - 60 hz) You may not be able to hear the difference but at high volumes you can feel it!(it's great on kickdrums)

cthulufhtagn said:

^ yea i kinda agree with this also.

I do hear the bass but just barely which i don't think it would hurt to have it more forward in the mix to be more audible. vocals are a bit too loud/cross over into your guitar frequency at times as well. maybe compress them a bit? smooth out the acoustic/distortion transitions also as they're a bit rough around the edges. i can tell the impact you're going for and once you get it all straightened out i'm sure it will be fantastic if you do it right. good luck :D