For finger-style shredders out there...

coolsnow7

Raining Blood
Mar 20, 2004
NYC
How do you build right hand speed? I've been trying for quite some time, not making too much progress. This is especially directed at people doing it with 2 fingers.

practice. i got a video from guitar center about right hand technique with mostly funk bassists called " starlick sessions - right hand technique" you could probably find some youtube videos or something on it. otherwise if your having trouble you might first want to find a position that is comfortable for where you rest your hand on the bass, or adjust the height of it - i hold mine particularly high. what might work is if you start with your index and middle finger and do a sorta 1(index) 2(middle) 1 - 2 - 1 -2 type of excercise on E and then bulid speed using a metronome and go into straight 8th note type of stuff and then move to using all the strings. takes time but the more you practice the easier itll get. start with something easy, puppets is a good song to learn when you get there cause itll improve speed and endurance.

Playing along with Iron Maiden albums never hurt anyone.

Yep. That's how I learned right hand endurance and strength. Steve Harris's bass lines are nice and audible, not too technical, and he really plays hard with his fingers. Great for learning.

Playing "Pulverized" from Canibal Corpse helps a lot too. I´ve been working out through this using only two fingers and have noticed improvement.

The main thing in my case mas to make every single note sound the same and with a lot of punch. Also, the good old "1-2-3-4 alternating fingers thing" helps a lot too.

I tried to learn to play fast with finger but only result was deception :(
i can still play pretty fast with pick,but i know finger playing supose to be better
x_x
Big deception =(

Play some power - speed stuff (like Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica...). It's boring but you can focus all your attenion on right hand, it also help you in building your endurance. I did it in the past and I've got to do it now :erk: :puke: for 3 fingers technique, it's useful.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I've been doing metronome on and off for a while, got back into it now. Another question: if I can do one scale up and down at 120 bpm, but for the next my hand is too fatigued to keep it up, should I lower the tempo to accomodate my weak endurance, or just give it a few seconds in between each run?

:kickass:
Playing along with Iron Maiden albums never hurt anyone.
I started to practice to Maiden back in the early 80's and even with my Rush,Yes and Genesis stuff I still haul out the P-Bass at least once a week and put the ric 4001 aside for a Maiden session.Great for speed.Maiden's music is just plain fun and not too hard to learn although Steve Harris will throw you some challenges!...Rob

Playing "Pulverized" from Canibal Corpse helps a lot too. I´ve been working out through this using only two fingers and have noticed improvement.

The main thing in my case mas to make every single note sound the same and with a lot of punch. Also, the good old "1-2-3-4 alternating fingers thing" helps a lot too.

another step for that technique:
using pairs of fingers-12 23 34 separately, meaning :
when you play fast lots of notes eg.playing in order- string e four notes(1-2-1-2) string a three notes (3-2-3) srting d eight notes notes( 1-2-1-2 -4-3-4-3)
this is just an egsample of tis technique ,it can be played as weird as the sounds go throurh the fingerboard -no limits in speed and note variations on all strings and in every position:) have fun:):kickass:

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I've been doing metronome on and off for a while, got back into it now. Another question: if I can do one scale up and down at 120 bpm, but for the next my hand is too fatigued to keep it up, should I lower the tempo to accomodate my weak endurance, or just give it a few seconds in between each run?

Can someone answer this question?

Just do what feels best to you. I can't give you a straight answer of whether you should give yourself a few seconds or just slow it down, but I will say this - You should try and continue playing through the next one, even if you start to slow down due to your fingers tiring. You won't get anywhere if you don't push yourself. Though, that being said, don't push yourself TOO hard. I've read in lots of places that injury isn't uncommon.

Damn right .Because of injuries I had to take nearly a year time pause in the band I was playing with

Can someone answer this question?

I'd say lower the tempo to the speed that feels comfortable, and then play it over and over until the endurance builds and you can speed it up a bit. Stopping for a few seconds will not be as good for endurance and stamina.