For fully computer-crafted drums, I don't think these sound half bad...

oroinvictus

dangert billy
Apr 15, 2010
eugene, oregon
www.facebook.com

So here's my latest go at some nice clean, poppy, roomy, modern drums. SSD for the skins, Sturgis samples for the cymbals. Don't mind the 'playing', I just cooked up the MIDI real quick. Any critique would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
kick sounds like your smashing a really large piece of plastic on a rock. I'd say try again with the kick, but I cant tell how it'll sound with more instruments...

Just curious, as i'm trying to start programming drums for my own songs. What did you use for programming and what for triggering the samples from midi ?

Just curious, as i'm trying to start programming drums for my own songs. What did you use for programming and what for triggering the samples from midi ?

I use logic pro 8 as my DAW (my broke ass severely needs to upgrade to 9), route kontakt 3 through 16 stereo tracks, route each drum to its own bus and go from there. I use the piano roll for making midi. It's a bit slow but it works.

This might make a little more sense:
k3%20out.jpg

Apart from what others have said, the toms have very little lowend and the cymbals sound thin too. I like the snare tho, which one(s) is it?

I made the cymbals a bit on the thin side so the guitars would fill the mids a bit more than the cymbs, but I'll play around with them. Kick and tom low-end are coming. The snare is Slate's Custom Snare, definitely a favorite of mine. My go-to snares are usually 11 and 11a, but the SCS just brings that high-end crack with just the right amount of decay. Thanks for your critique.

oh jeez. i don't want to break your little heart here..

try getting the drums to sound more like a kit rather than a fucking mash up of samples that you've gathered on your journey across the world wide web. use a complete drum solution as a foundation instead of a million different samples recorded in a million different rooms. let's say you're using SD2.0, use the toms from there, leave som of the kick and snare and get a nice blend and leave the room in there. as far as verbs go, ONE reverb for the kit (snare & toms), and for automation you can use a longer reverb (only for choruses and so forth) on the snare to create some dynamic content, but a verb along with a room sample (if you're using slate gog's for example) will suffice! also, GATE TOMS. otherwise they'll sing for an eternity, making the mix all muddy. just some pointers, hope they help.

read now that you're using SSD for shells, well in that case you've got some major eq issues to attend to. but the same principles apply, for example your overheads sound really thin without the room in 'em.

oh jeez. i don't want to break your little heart here..

try getting the drums to sound more like a kit rather than a fucking mash up of samples that you've gathered on your journey across the world wide web. use a complete drum solution as a foundation instead of a million different samples recorded in a million different rooms. let's say you're using SD2.0, use the toms from there, leave som of the kick and snare and get a nice blend and leave the room in there. as far as verbs go, ONE reverb for the kit (snare & toms), and for automation you can use a longer reverb (only for choruses and so forth) on the snare to create some dynamic content, but a verb along with a room sample (if you're using slate gog's for example) will suffice! also, GATE TOMS. otherwise they'll sing for an eternity, making the mix all muddy. just some pointers, hope they help.

read now that you're using SSD for shells, well in that case you've got some major eq issues to attend to. but the same principles apply, for example your overheads sound really thin without the room in 'em.

Thanks for all your input. I'll do what I can once I get my copies of SD2 and the metal foundry reinstalled... other than that I have so little. I need to get my hands on some mics.

I think next time I'm lurking here and I find some DI's and midi I like I'll make a short clip to see how it would sound in a mix... if you guys have/know of any and could link me that would rock. Thanks for your time everyone.