Programmed Drums

AaronDylan

another diamond recording
Feb 18, 2011
munich germany
Hey sneapsters! This is probably the 2nd time im asking about programmed drums!
I want them to sound as real as possible and take it to a next level!
i got tons of virtual drumsoftware samples and i´m a drummer myself so i kinda think i know how to deal with velocity!
i think i´ts a huge chapter and even read that joey sturgis had an idea to write a book about it because theirs so much to it.
this time i want to bring live into simple midi notes.

I think it would be cool if everybody could just throw any thought they have about programmed drums in this post!
Doesn´t matter so long it improves mixing creating programming them!
could be usefull for everybody that has to deal with them.

so I´ll start with what i do first

1. If i didn´t program them myself i just run a quick test on ez drummer and play airdrums with drumsticks or play on a chair practicepad whatever to the playback to see if it´s even possible to play!(sometimes git or bassplayers think drummers can play 5 cymbals with one stick)

2. because a lot of programmed drums are written in guitar pro with out any dynamics i start changing the velocity where i think it has to be changed.

for an example fast 8th notes on cymbals or hi hat ill do: hard medium hard medium sometimes a soft hit.
for hi hats i sometimes change from half open to full open and almost closed to closed when needed.

3. i like to put the first note of a breakdown on the cymbals to 127 the first note always has to be hit real hard well thats how i would play it:D

4. time to check all the snare rolls and fills. mostly pull the velocity down and add some hard hits maybe on 4th notes and sometimes if the rolls are longer i add a unexpected harder hit sometimes just to make it sound more dynamic.

tom rolls i´ll do like this: 4 hits would be 100 80 70 60. or 110 80 110 70.

some druminstruments or samplepackages have tom-rim hits i like to throw in very carefully(dont want it to sound like an mistake to obviously)

probably forgot something about velocity .. maybe you can add..

5. flames ..or pdab:D first hit softer second hit harder that´s how i play them i find them the most powerful. sometimes switch that though to have more possibilities. always change the velocity here. identic flam hits won´t sound dynamic or real imo

6. i check the quantizing.
Very often i de-quantize cymbal hits a few ticks 3-4 not too much.. so their not completely on the grid.

i also move tom or snare hits around that get played at the same time as the kick so their not exactly on top of eachother.

7. mixing: the worst part for me are the cymbals.
usually i compress them real heavy 6-8:1 short attack and release depending on the song tempo.
sometimes the ssl comp with the overhead ambient preset is a good starting point for me

8. Room. if the drumsoftware has room mics i compress the hell out of them:devil: and have them up a bit louder then the overhead´s. only with programmed drums.

the rest ill mix just as usual or the same as real drums.

I try to work with only one v-druminstrument so far it´s possible.
i keep catching myself adding additonal samples like costum kick samples of my own in a diffrent sampler.

so that´s about it hope it wasnt to long to read

now it´s your turn:popcorn:

I do more or less what you do, sometimes with velocities I make 1st beat hard, 3rd a bit softer, 2nd and 4th even softer, I think that's kinda how real drummers do but I'm as much of a drummer as I am an astronaut, and I always add a tiny bit of randomness with reaper's humanize function, but checking if there's any weird too loud or too soft hits.

I normally use addictive drums for my cymbals and other assorted samples for drums, so what I do sometimes is mute the room from AD and make my own room buss with sends from all drums and cymbals (excluding kick sometimes) and put a good reverb or room impulse to make it sound a bit more like one kit

I do more or less what you do, sometimes with velocities I make 1st beat hard, 3rd a bit softer, 2nd and 4th even softer, I think that's kinda how real drummers do but I'm as much of a drummer as I am an astronaut, and I always add a tiny bit of randomness with reaper's humanize function, but checking if there's any weird too loud or too soft hits.

I normally use addictive drums for my cymbals and other assorted samples for drums, so what I do sometimes is mute the room from AD and make my own room buss with sends from all drums and cymbals (excluding kick sometimes) and put a good reverb or room impulse to make it sound a bit more like one kit

I love the addicive cymbals! especially the sabian ones!
an extra room bus sounds like a good idea!

sometimes the room impulses from v-drumsoftware just don´t fit to what your looking for.