Programmed Drums

AaronDylan

another diamond recording
Feb 18, 2011
munich germany
Hey everyone out there!

i need some advice or tipps on how to get programmed midi Drums as realistic as possible.

I´m recently working on 3 projekts with programmed midi drums!

I did it in the past and i felt fine with it.

but since working non stopp on them make´s me want to make them sound as realistic and good as possible.

some things i already do:

I never leave the velocity of the hits the same(exept kick).
I´m a drummer and i kinda know how hard most of the hits would be played.

i always use multiple hits for the samples.

I use SSl comp on the overhead´s and most of the overhead hits like crash are about 80 to 90 - higher just sounds to direct to me.

last is that i de-quantize the overheads just a few ticks lik 3-4 to give it a kind of human feel

Are there any other tricks or advice?

please no record real drums bull..
:hotjump:

Try using one drum software for everything as much as possible, just as you would with a natural kit. Lets say you're using S2.0, tweak what's in there and make it sound as good as possible, then use the room mics to glue things together. Works fine for me.
If you want to humanize things further, consider this: a real drummer, even an awesome one like Derek Roddy, can't time a tom or snare hit exactly with a kick hit. So if you have a fill where the toms follow the kicks for example, then un-quantize the toms just a tad.

the whole making sure the velocity hits are never the same is a bunch of nonsense. you just have to think like a drummer thinks, or think like a drummer would play. If there is a snare roll, think of how hard and soft each hit should be for that particular roll to work. If you are not a drummer and have no drum sense, its going to be pretty difficult.
but going through and randomly changing each velocity just so it isnt the same isnt going to help anything.

EDIT: also, most drum sample plugins are multisampled anyhow, so the changing of the velocity hits arent essential for a standard beat. Its the drum articulations and rolls that matter with regards to velocity.