For how long have you been listening to Evergrey?

I saw a review of In Search of Truth in a metal magazine (back in 2001 I think) that got my attention, so I went out and bought it straight away. Took a little while to get into, then bought SDT and loved that straight away. When Recreation Day came out it opened my eyes further and Evergrey firmly placed themselves as my favourite band, and they've stayed there since.

Evergrey don't get much coverage here in the UK, so I've been doing my part and making sure as many people as possible know about them and why they should like them :D

I think for me it was somewhere in 2000. A friend dragged me to Biebob to see this band I would love. I didn't really feel like going, went more to do him a favour. But damn, did I fall in love with the music. I kinda fell of the wagon a bit with the last album, just wasn't my cup of tea. But I've been playing a lot of the old shit again in the last few weeks and can't help being curious for the new one.

I first heard Evergrey at the first ProgPower USA in Chicago (Feb. 2001). I had never heard of them and I was there to mainly see Zero Hour, Symphony X, and Pain of Salvation. I enjoyed their set, but they didn't blow me away. I was more familiar with them by PP 4, but still not a huge fan (event though I owned RD by then as well). I even had a funny conversation with Tom outside the Grenada that really cracks me up now (more on that in a moment).

It was at PP 5 hanging out with some friends at the Grenada where The Inner Circle was playing in the background. I don't know what it was that night, but something really clicked for me and the next day I went to the vendors and bought ISoT, Inner Circle, & SDT that day! Ever since that time I've been a HUGE fan and they are one of my absolute favorites!! Funny how that happens. While MMA is not their best work by far, I still enjoyed it for what it was. I am looking forward to them returning to their roots with this next release though.

I think what originally didn't click with me was Tom's voice sicne it was different from the "typcial" prog/power metal vocals. However, it was his voice that drew me back once I grew tired of the typical vocal approach and then I loved it and still do! So imagine how honored I am to have the singer from one of my favorite groups singing on my band's CD! Its still somewhat surreal to me when I listen to that track (Mammonfic) and hear his voice along side my guitar playing.

Remember that funny conversation I mentioned above? Well, I was hanging out on the Grenada porch with some people when Tom came out (he had been drinking) and hung for a bit. At some point, he is standing next me and turns to me and asks me who I am. I simply reply, "Rick Pierpont." :lol: At which point he clarifies and asks me who I play for (guess the hair and attire gave it away). At the time I played with a local Baltimore, MD prog metal cover band whcih was embarrassing to answer to Tom, but I did. I would never have guessed that 5 years later I would have his voice on a CD that I played on! I would love to answer that question to him now! :headbang::headbang:

I'm very much looking forward to hearing the next disk! Fail sounds decent and whatever Glenn played after our set when we played with Circle 2 Circle (as well as Halcyon Way and Eclipsed by Sanity) in Atlanta back in Feb. sounded awesome! I guess I can wait another 5-6 weeks!

Heard them for the first time ever at ProgPower 1999 in Tilburg Holland.
Never heard them until they hit the stage, I remember them having a really dark sound.
Didn't know what to make of the show at the time though.

We met Tom after the show in a pizza place, had some food and a chat, Tom was quite drunk by then and very amusing.

Had totally forgotten about my Ultimatemetalforums account, so time I drop by this forum. I am quite a new EG fan, been listenign to them for something like 2-25 years, after the guitarist from the band I was in before borrowed me Recreation Day. The album didn´t strike me at first, but after he showed me a link to A Touch Of Blessing, I knew I was sold. Saw them last year, at Motstøy-festival (norway), where I got to first row, and was totally blow away!
Everything was so perfect, although it was a bit bad sound that first day of the festival, funny thing is that it was almost perfect when Evergrey hit the stage.:heh:
Also saw EG at Lillehammer Metal Rock Fest (norway) 1 month ago, and I was in awe when I got to see 2 new songs! I´d already listened to some times, and I was looking incredibly forward to their gig there, and hoping for new tracks.
Both Broken Wings and Fear emerged into the setlist that night, and it was incredibly! A shame the show was cut short (from what I heard), from what I remember they didn´t play any songs pre-Recreation Day, but a stunning performance, never the less. I even got so lucky I was front row again. :loco:
Jari fits the band perfectly! I got the signature of Jari, Tom and Henrik.
I also was at Freak Kitchen guitar clinic earlier that day, and I remember Mattias making a comment on Tom being there (in the room), I bet it was something funny, the clinic sure as hell was. Oh, got to tell you this; after seeing the A Night To Remember-dvd, I got the feeling the guys were a bit glad in drinking, and I accidently stood at Lillehammer with 2 beers, thought I might as well hand one over to Tom, as he´s quite visible, and easy to recognize (tall, long-long hair), but when I asked him if he wanted one, he turned around with a beer in one hand, and a glass of wine (I guess) in the other :lol: felt a bit embarassed I must admit.

And concidering Torn, I think it´s the best album since In Search For Truth, which is my favourite. I might change opinion, need to listen more to the album.
(pre-ordered).

(picture is 4 years old)