For Lies I Sire

Songs of Darkness, Words of Light and The Dreadful Hours are two of my favorite records. Hopefully this will come somewhere close.

Same here!

Really looking forward to this...for some reason I have a feeling this album will be a great one...of course, that's irrational thinking and pure luck if it actually is really amazing. But I feel it! :D

The Angel and The Dark river is also one of their best..surely..and of course Turn Loose the Swans..
Of course, MDB albums always contain one or two songs I can't stand. Only Songs of Darkness, words of light has managed to not make me skip anything.

I have a feeling this one will explore different styles while still maintaining the recognizable MDB sound. Should be interesting to see what they came up with.

Yeah, it's time for them to explore a bit again. That goes for a lot of the doomers these days.

I have a long history of loving this band, dating back to 1996 when Like Gods of the Sun set my course towards gloom, and it's been steady sailing ever since.

Best albums:

The Angel and the Dark River
Like Gods of the Sun (probably just my nostalgia)
Songs of Darkness Words of Light

I'm really looking forward to the new one. Especially if it has the violin player they were using live. MDB with a violin again is enough to make me rather excited in my nether regions.

I have a long history of loving this band, dating back to 1996 when Like Gods of the Sun set my course towards gloom, and it's been steady sailing ever since.

Best albums:

The Angel and the Dark River
Like Gods of the Sun (probably just my nostalgia)
Songs of Darkness Words of Light

I'm really looking forward to the new one. Especially if it has the violin player they were using live. MDB with a violin again is enough to make me rather excited in my nether regions.

Ah, a new fan then :p
Nah, I got into them when they released The Angel and the dark river. Loved that album. When Like Gods of the sun came it was a bit of a let down, because their sound had become very predictable..I felt. But the few good songs on that album are VERY good. Sadly there are a bit too many songs that I simply dislike a lot. Songs of Darkness Words of Light was a huge comeback. Overall probably their best album if you ask me.

I'm not very happy about the violin coming back if it means that their songs are going to sound too predictable again. But sure, they're probably not going to use it the same way they used to.
The main problem I think with their older sound is that it's very tough to listen to over a longer period of time, because of all the high pitched sounds. Violin, Aaron and the guitars, they where all high pitched back then and I THINK that might have been my problem with their sound after a while. Thankfully they seem to have understood this "problem".
Ok, I'm not so worried anymore..

I wasn't aware they were intending to bring back the violin. That could be hit or miss in my opinion. It worked really well with Turns Loose the Swans, but I doubt they will be using that sound again.

This is great news, like MiniMoose I too feel that this will be an excellent output. A Line of Deathless Kings was a pretty aweful record to the point where at times it didn't sound anything like MDB. It wasn't dark, romantic or depressing I just remember being very bored and felt that it was very predictable (and not in a good way). Songs of darkness was OK, but nothing like TLTS or AATDR

I'm glad the violins are back when i saw them this past year at graspop, I had no idea that they hired a violinist - it was a magical performance and an element that might once again set MDB at the top of the throne. They just need good songwriting again, Aaron needs to write better poetry (latest stuff has been lacking) as well has his vocal lines (I hate that monotone voice he's been using on the past few)

There are very few bands playing what I would call A+ atmospheric doom/death metal, I think it's time MDB spearheaded another revolution - can't wait.

The main problem I think with their older sound is that it's very tough to listen to over a longer period of time, because of all the high pitched sounds. Violin, Aaron and the guitars, they where all high pitched back then and I THINK that might have been my problem with their sound after a while. Thankfully they seem to have understood this "problem".
Ok, I'm not so worried anymore..

I must say that I have no idea what you mean by High Pitched Sounds Do you mean the high pitched sound of a violin? does that mean you don't like classical, folk or anything that uses violin? or do you mean that the production on their albums is too high end? (which I would argue that it's not - maybe Angel and the Dark River, but for example Turn Loose the Swans is a very meaty well balanced album production wise) I'm bewildered

Just got the Ode to Woe DVD. Enjoyed it alot. I really missed the violin on The Snow in My Hand though, although the keyboard version was passable.

I must say that I have no idea what you mean by High Pitched Sounds Do you mean the high pitched sound of a violin? does that mean you don't like classical, folk or anything that uses violin? or do you mean that the production on their albums is too high end? (which I would argue that it's not - maybe Angel and the Dark River, but for example Turn Loose the Swans is a very meaty well balanced album production wise) I'm bewildered

Well, as I said...The violin, the guitar tune and Aarons voice..combined it sometimes can get very hard to listen to over longer periods. I never thought about this when I was younger, but I remember some guys saying they can't listen to music like that because of the "whining" guitar sound.
It's actually a good way of describing it even if it pissed me off at the time when they said it. I did understand what they meant back then, but it wasn't a big deal for me, because the music all in all was and is great. The whining sound which is extra strong on The angel and the dark river (TAATDR)
also is a problem on Like Gods Of The Sun. Later albums have become much better this way. Songs of darkness, words of light is their best album when it comes to high pitched sounds. It's much more well balanced. Which probably means that they use much more lower tuned guitars. Almost as good as it can get.

Example:
The one song that really makes my head hurt is Grace Unhearing and really stands out in the annoying MDB tracks list. I've only listened up to 10 times to this song..simply because it kills me. This is by far the worst MDB song ever. Starts out okay..but when this song is finished my head..yeah, hurts..

I love violin btw, but it's all a matter of how it is used. My grandfather played the violin for me a lot when I was little and I found an early fascination with the violin probably because of that. I knew every band out there for a while with a violin in it..but alas..I got tired in the end. I've become picky...and that is good and bad.

I like classical music and folk music too...yes at least to some extent. I also like Lisa Germano for many reasons, but she use the violin in a very interesting way..which makes the violin sound very worn out. Sounds like ..err..internet.. halfway into the song you get an idea of the really dulled strings use...not sure how to explain it.

Last edited by a moderator: