For the Collectors...

NvmbrsDoom5

Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
Hey all.....I was just searching through stuff on Ebay a few minutes ago and came across a few rare ND related items. I thought perhaps some of the collectors might be interested to check them out....

Laceration - The Way of All Flesh... 1990 Demo - (eBay item 300142434065 end time Aug-23-07 10:06:06 PDT)

This is an early demo cassette of Laceration, who as some of you know are the band fronted by Paul Kuhr and basically evolved into Novembers Doom not too long after this demo was released. This is very rare and you don't see it pop up too often. Fuck I don't even have a copy of this lol

Mythic - The Immortal Realm - 1991 Demo - (eBay item 300142257114 end time Aug-22-07 20:00:51 PDT)

Mythic is the band which featured Mary Bielich on bass, who played bass for Novembers Doom from 1997 through 2001, and appears on our "Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers" and "The Knowing" cds (as well as the "For Every Leaf..." EP). Mythic were one of the first all female death metal bands and they were very heavy and doomy, it's cool stuff.

Maimed - 1991 Demo - (eBay item 300142258406 end time Aug-22-07 20:03:38 PDT)

Maimed were a Chicago area death metal band who had no particular ties to Novembers Doom, but both Paul and myself were (and still are) huge fans of this band, and I can honestly say they were probably one of my top five favorite bands to ever come from the Midwest. Early '90s death metal with a doom touch. Both Paul and I have mentioned many times on the forum and in interviews about how we loved this band, so if anyone is interested in checking them out, here you go. I actually have this demo and my copy is getting a bit worn out, I was tempted to buy this myself!

p.s. No I'm not the one selling any of these tapes and I honestly have no idea who the seller is.

That Laceration tape kills!!!!!
Paul knows how I feel about this one.

Straight up American thrash, with Euro thrash styled vocals.
(Think Mille Petrozza mixed with Tom G Warrior).

Looking through this seller's list, he's got some amazing stuff from the old Chicago scene, in addition to the aforementioned bands he's got Dead Fetus, Cianide, Dead Youth, Sindrome, Fleshold, Mortar, Contagion (another of my all time favorites), Thanatopsis....I miss those days.

This seller also has Dream Death on blue vinyl...fuck!!! I can't afford all of this right now, must resist lol

I'm really curious to know who is selling this stuff, it's gotta be someone we know, Paul.

Speaking of older Chicago bands, do any of you remember the band SQUADRON? They were more of a Maiden influenced trad metal band than a death metal band. I remember seeing them once in high school (or maybe even Jr High) and being blown away. I had a bad copy of their demo tape somewhere.

Another band from that era who were good was Radakka. I know one of you guys here on the forum is a big fan of theirs.

That would be me. :)

As far as I'm concerned, they were and are the best local band ever in the Chicago scene. Amazing songwriting and vocals. I was too young to see them play live since I was 15 when their debut came out in 95, but followed the band through the late 90's. It was cool to finally meet Jon a few years ago when Slick started gigging in 2002/2003. Long story short, my dad would run into him through their work and that's how I discovered the band.

Not sure if anyone knows, but Jon Dobbs & Dean Maltese play in Slick.

www.slickband.com
www.myspace.com/slickchicago

Still have the killer harmony vocals, and a more groove-laden sound. Jon can certainly make that guitar sing, and they do toss in a couple of old Radakka songs into the set.

Larry - Yeah, I think when I saw them, it was around 88 or 89.
I recall a lot of people at the time writing them off as Maiden rif-offs, due to their logo (which was in the Maiden font) and their sound.
I dug em though.

I remember Radakka. I am sure I have seen them a few times. They had those shirts where on the back it said, "COP A RATTITUDE"
I dated a girl in high school who was into the whole Chicago glam scene (IE - Wee Bee Toyz, Sphynx, etc, etc.) Used to go see those bands at the Thirsty Whale or the Copernicus Center..

For a non Chicago inhabitant this is becoming more interesting by the post..the day I go to the city I must visit these Thirsty Whale and Copernicus Center, first of all..

For a non Chicago inhabitant this is becoming more interesting by the post..the day I go to the city I must visit these Thirsty Whale and Copernicus Center, first of all..

That may be difficult because I think both have been torn down. :mad:

I know the Whale is gone since the late 90's (www.thirstywhale.com for the story), and I remember hearing that Copernicus was headed to the same fate a year or two ago. My grandmother used to play the pipe organ at the silent movies that they would show there. The theater used to host metal concerts for local & national bands. King Diamond or Mercyful Fate even played at that theater once, and Radakka's pictures in the debut record were taken there.

Yep, King solo played at the Copernicus Center, on the CONSPIRACY tour. I was not at that show though. Years later, Emperor and Borknagar played there too.

The only gig I was ever at was some glam metal local thing on New Years Eve, in the early 90's.

Chicago has a great history for many genres of music, not just metal.

All of the main places to see metal back in those days are pretty much gone now. Thirsty Whale, Gateway Theater, Oak Theater, Smiler Coogans, Jackhammers, Fotches, Avalon Nightclub, Medusa's, Iron Rail, G&S Arcade (Volumes)....all gone. Only the Double Door and Vic Theater remain and the metal shows there these days are few and far between. The mid to late 1990s just killed off all of those venues, it's a real shame. Also considering that 80% of those places I listed would have all ages metal shows, it sucks that they're not around anymore. There are very few venues, especially within the city of Chicago itself, that will host all ages metal shows.

I used to frequently go to places like Thirsty Whale and Gateway theater to see the glam/hard rock showcases on the weekends. I did admittedly enjoy some of the music I heard there, but generally we went because that's where all the girls were!! lol There weren't too many girls hanging out at Abomination or Macabre shows, yknow? haha

Chicago had a very diverse and interesting metal scene back in those days, I think. I think the death metal scene here is greatly overlooked when people talk about the influential scenes in the underground. You had bands of the heavier variety that I believe influenced alot of other bands from all over the world.....Trouble, Master, Macabre, Abomination, Sindrome, Devastation, Zoetrope, Broken Hope, to name just a few.
And when it comes to the heavy downtuned doom-y death metal stuff, we had Laceration/Novembers Doom, Avernus, Cianide, Dead Youth/Usurper, Maimed, Contagion, Dead Serenade, Agnosia, amongst others. Most of these bands didn't get signed or get as much attention as they probably deserved. If they'd have been located in NYC, or even the UK, things would've been different.....especially since most of these bands were doing this stuff back in 1990, 1991, before many of the more well known bands of this style came along later and were acclaimed for it. Being in Chicago has in many ways held us back I think because of people's tendency to disregard the scene and it's credibility in the underground.....but honestly I'm rather fucking proud to have been a part of the music scene here in those days.

All of the main places to see metal back in those days are pretty much gone now. Thirsty Whale, Gateway Theater, Oak Theater, Smiler Coogans, Jackhammers, Fotches, Avalon Nightclub, Medusa's, Iron Rail, G&S Arcade (Volumes)....all gone. Only the Double Door and Vic Theater remain and the metal shows there these days are few and far between. The mid to late 1990s just killed off all of those venues, it's a real shame. Also considering that 80% of those places I listed would have all ages metal shows, it sucks that they're not around anymore. There are very few venues, especially within the city of Chicago itself, that will host all ages metal shows.

I used to frequently go to places like Thirsty Whale and Gateway theater to see the glam/hard rock showcases on the weekends. I did admittedly enjoy some of the music I heard there, but generally we went because that's where all the girls were!! lol There weren't too many girls hanging out at Abomination or Macabre shows, yknow? haha

Chicago had a very diverse and interesting metal scene back in those days, I think. I think the death metal scene here is greatly overlooked when people talk about the influential scenes in the underground. You had bands of the heavier variety that I believe influenced alot of other bands from all over the world.....Trouble, Master, Macabre, Abomination, Sindrome, Devastation, Zoetrope, Broken Hope, to name just a few.
And when it comes to the heavy downtuned doom-y death metal stuff, we had Laceration/Novembers Doom, Avernus, Cianide, Dead Youth/Usurper, Maimed, Contagion, Dead Serenade, Agnosia, amongst others. Most of these bands didn't get signed or get as much attention as they probably deserved. If they'd have been located in NYC, or even the UK, things would've been different.....especially since most of these bands were doing this stuff back in 1990, 1991, before many of the more well known bands of this style came along later and were acclaimed for it. Being in Chicago has in many ways held us back I think because of people's tendency to disregard the scene and it's credibility in the underground.....but honestly I'm rather fucking proud to have been a part of the music scene here in those days.

I completely agree.
The fact is that where I live things are far more worse..We don't have (even in Torino that anyway is a big city) places to host unknown emerging bands..we have lot of cover bands that play in pubs and places like that..but when instead there is some competition which hosts non cover bands (though hosted in places like pub that are not good for this, it would take some places like the ones you mentioned) to discover some of them, or simply a non cover band plays..no one cares, at all, and at least there are always the same 20/30 people fuckin' around those places, but nothing more. I think US in that sense are really better than ever italian region.

Second thing; you lived the '80s! That's fucking great! Sometime I wish I was born 20 years before! I'm 20, how old are you of ND? I don't want to be offensive asking :lol: this, it's just pure curiosity to see in which moment of your lives you lived the golden era of 1985-1995!

I'm almost 35, so I was a teenager through the heyday of '80s metal. I started getting into "underground" metal around 1984, 1985, picking up albums like "Ride The Lightning" and "Spreading the Disease" and the Combat and Noise records compilations, etc. I started listening to music very young and I was reading magazines like Hit Parader, Creem, Circus and Kerrang by the time I was 9. I'm glad that I was exposed early on to metal and everything, though I was too young and wound up missing alot of the 18 and over or 21 and over shows, I still got to see and hear alot of great metal during that time. Fuckin' hell, come to think of it, I was already playing gigs in clubs by the time I was 14 LOL I can't believe it's been so long....

I'm almost 35, so I was a teenager through the heyday of '80s metal. I started getting into "underground" metal around 1984, 1985, picking up albums like "Ride The Lightning" and "Spreading the Disease" and the Combat and Noise records compilations, etc. I started listening to music very young and I was reading magazines like Hit Parader, Creem, Circus and Kerrang by the time I was 9. I'm glad that I was exposed early on to metal and everything, though I was too young and wound up missing alot of the 18 and over or 21 and over shows, I still got to see and hear alot of great metal during that time. Fuckin' hell, come to think of it, I was already playing gigs in clubs by the time I was 14 LOL I can't believe it's been so long....

Your musical life is the archetype of the one I'd like to live :headbang:

I think one the first metal things I've ever heard is Master along with something of Iron Maiden..probably it was '91 or '92 and I was 4/5 years fuckin old.

14 years and already playing must be a great thing..I had to wait to be 19 to play somewhere.

Do really shows for over 18/21? exist

BTW, while i'm here, can i throw up my gratuitous ebay link? We found out we're having a baby, so I'm getting rid of over 60 metal items. More coming as well.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZderailedsocks

Also, since I already ran it by Paul and he seemed fine with it, I'd like to get opinions on something. I'm planning on putting together a Novembers Doom ebay auction with a bunch of stuff together. So far, it has:
- Dark Symphonies full release slipcase (alt cover) version of The Knowing cd, with poster
- Dark Symphonies cardboard promo release of The Knowing cd
- Dark Symphonies full release of To Welcome the Fade cd
- Reflecting in Grey Dusk cd
- about 5 promotional postcards from The Knowing
- black sticker w/ white ND logo
- black guitar pick w/ gold ND logo

Is that stuff you guys would be interested in bidding on, personally? I'm wondering would those fluff items (the TWtF cd, the Knowing cds, etc.- stuff many people bidding would probably already have) dissuade you from bidding? Maybe I could find something else to throw in. Not sure i want to give up a FELtF ep though.

Personally, the only things I need are the Candlelight pressing and the Korean pressings of the Pale Haunt Departure.

I could use the Dark Symphonies pressing of TWTF, and the Pavement pressing of the Knowing, but not mandatory.

What I REALLY would like is some bootleg audio or video!