For the fans of old kalmah

I think what he is saying is that kalmah has changed, as most bands do, but they didn't do a complete change. They didn't go from emo to death metal. They evolved more or less, rather than changed. To me, a huge difference between the black waltz and the others (besides the vocals) is the production. It is much darker sounding than the last three, while TWR Swampsong and Swamplord have a similar production. We all know that the keyboard's sound is different in TBW and the album is heavier/more riff filled etc., but they still have the same "swamp metalness" to them. I don't think it is vanishing as some people put it, I think it is just changing, becoming more evolved, IMO more symphonic etc.

He took COB for example. They had a huge neo classical sound and now if you listen to Are you dead yet or blooddrunk the neo classical style is, for the most part, gone. They become more mainstream IMO, thus having a huge change, where as kalmah has changed, but still remains a swamp metal band. If one doesn't like TBW and liked all of the last three, it is mostly because of the lower pitch vocals.

Nice. That's what I was trying to say.

@hidious: I wasn't trying to be a dick I'm just opinionated and love being right. I get what you're saying though.

If I were to comment on Kalmah's sound difference, I would say that The Black Waltz became a more death metal-oriented sound. It's still within the reaches of melodeath, but they heavied up the guitar tone and got some ballsier riffs as opposed to the guitar tone and harmony style that was focused in more of a power metal realm. Plus, the vocal change. They keyboards also use more symphonics as opposed to synth sounds, to my ears.

Now it seems that both vocal styles are being used, which is how I like it. I agree with what Ugly said about Kalmah progressing into a slightly new area, but doing so in a way that doesn't alienate their older fans. That's why I like the band.

If I were to comment on Kalmah's sound difference, I would say that The Black Waltz became a more death metal-oriented sound. It's still within the reaches of melodeath, but they heavied up the guitar tone and got some ballsier riffs as opposed to the guitar tone and harmony style that was focused in more of a power metal realm. Plus, the vocal change. They keyboards also use more symphonics as opposed to synth sounds, to my ears.

Now it seems that both vocal styles are being used, which is how I like it. I agree with what Ugly said about Kalmah progressing into a slightly new area, but doing so in a way that doesn't alienate their older fans. That's why I like the band.
well said!

you know metal heads people, I think KALMAH have gone so far from their style but still fucking good, beside every album giving new idea of Melodic Death Metal, but I still prefer SwampSong album because I think it is the best (from my opinion), but the good in KALMAH that every album still blowing away my mind because they are fucking rule their music, so KEEP IT UP THE TRUE MELODIC DEATH METAL

The new album is great, it is missing some elements I love from their old albums, but its still fantastic. Dead Man's Shadow is my favorite :D

I still plan on $upporting Kalmah of course, anyone know when they're getting new shirts?

for this album a new metal genre should be invented ... this is the most epic music I've ever heard. THIS IS EPIC METAL MUAHAHAHAH.

Is there any new merch planned ?

They Will Return is amazing

Swamplord and Swampsong are great

The Black Waltz and the new album are good but not as good as the old stuff

The thing that bothers me is the low screams or growls...I loved the high pitched growls from Kalmah and the solos and the great atmosphere of the music

I like low growls but I don't think it really fits Kalmah...still a great band but I'm just a little disappointed that the low vocals are still on the new album :(

Personally I dont' really feel a difference in the lows and highs in vocals for making a difference on how good an album is from Kalmah. If they were to release another album like Swamplord musically, I believe it would have the same merit and greatness with low vocals. Now that I think about it, that wouldn't be a bad idea!:p

I Wouldn't say Kalmah is Changing alot, but change is a good thing and i really like For The Revolution and The Black Waltz compared with the "Swamp-albums"

Yeah we've been discussing how some think Kalmah changed style with TBW, and I've been saying they are still pretty close to their original sound. With FTR, I can definitely say the style is different, but gOD DAMN it's a sick fuckin record. I love how they incorporate some old elements while adding some EPIC to the mix. Keys are a bit high in the mix but it really does well to separate this cd from the old ones in terms of style. Then again, at 3:10 on Wings of Blackening I thought I was listening to a part straight off of Swamplord. That track is EPIC +1! Definitely will $upport Kalmah when the cd comes out.

I think that change of sound is too huge to be tolerated just as "change of sound"
In fact by changing sound they have changed style... Becouse distortion makes guitar sound hevier... wich is not bad if you keep speed and agressivness in music but you can't turnby some sort of magic tiger to elephant and expect that he will be same fast and agressive... maybe he still traying to have similar style but it is not possible with this kind of sound. Also I have mentioned on some other thread that low pitched growls slows down melodies too... so to kalmah42090 i would say that I think he is not right... becouse it just doesn't fits... I liked growls in Heroes to us, Moon of my nights and similar use of them but I don't like when growl leads song... only if it is music like Amon Amarth or something... but I wouldn't like to see Kalmah playing that kind of music... Trash speed melodic death metal rules!