For those of you who don't know

I was a fan of Pantera in the early 90's but checked out after I thought their music wasn't progressing any longer. Down's work was good too. While I think Phil's voice is very strong. After hearing many things on the way he treats "fans" I don't care to listen to him or view his redneck antics, no matter what band he's in. Look at this link for more, it's the first review.

http://home.primus.com.au/ianbusch/gigreviews2.html

AlgaeScraper

The point remains that this -is- an Opeth board, not a SJR board. However, since we're on the subject of Phil Anselmo side bands, I am curious to hear how Eibon will turn out.

It's quite correct this is an Opeth board.
but its OFF TOPIC - surprised you missed that one.

I quite like Pantera but haven't heard any stuff by SJR - I'll check 'em out..

I still don't get it. I was reading a Green Carnation post just yesterday. How exactly is that okay and this not? I'm not trying to sound like a prick but it just sounds like you guys have unspoken rules on this BB that I should probably know if I wanna post here. Some non-Opeth bands are okay to post about, but not others?

If the band doesn't have any songs over 10 minutes long, they're not worth wasting your time, huh?

It's not that they don't write ten minute songs, its the simple fact that their 3-5 minute songs really fucking suck.

Originally posted by Izzy Junior
I still don't get it. I was reading a Green Carnation post just yesterday. How exactly is that okay and this not? I'm not trying to sound like a prick but it just sounds like you guys have unspoken rules on this BB that I should probably know if I wanna post here. Some non-Opeth bands are okay to post about, but not others?

It's okay because these bands are OPETH RELATED, and/or in the same genre. Opeth and Pantera/SJR/down etc. are on different ends of the spectrum......points A and B representing TRUE and FALSE. You can post about bloodbath, porcupine tree, katatonia etc. but posts on these mainstream "metal" bands are not acceptable on an Opeth forum.

And you're the deciding factor of what is and isn't acceptable on this forum?

It's all metal, man. And SJR isn't really mainstream. I think their album only sold somewhere in the area of 20 - 30,000 copies.

Anyway, like I said, it's all metal. Whether it's power metal, doom metal, death metal, goregrind, deathgrind, black metal, pirate metal, viking metal, zombie metal (see my sig!), it's all metal!

But not nu-metal, that doesn't count :D

Post about what ever band that you want to and in the future it would be VERY helpful if you provided a more direct title for the thread so EVERYONE who doesn't want to read about that band can skip the thread.

I like Cowboys from Hell and Vulger Dipslay of Power but all the other stuff including SJR that Phil has been involved with doesn't appeal to me so much that it never gets more then one listen. There have been alot of discs that I started to really like after alot of listens but there must be some appeal for these repeated listens. The strange thing is that those discs often become a favorite.

Originally posted by mindflesh
What kind of problems do you people have with his post? Hell, there are even posts about bands like Drowning Pool, so what?

As soon as someone mentions Phil or a band he's involved with people think they must jump all over them and his fans. I think its because "they" are soooo smart. Granted even I will poke fun at some numetal people every now and again, but say the name Phil and people go crazy. I dont really give a flying fuck what they think or say, it wont stop me from listening to everything the man does.