For those who are Devin Townsend fans

just an FYI for you Devy fans. for his upcoming US tour, he's offering VIP packages, which include a meet & greet, as well as a laminate, tshirt, and acoustic show. most of the west coast shows are sold out. i'm sure he'll offer the same on the east coast, as well as whatever other shows he's going

you have to sign up on his forum, then click on Live Reviews or whatever... there's a stickied link on the top of that forum

He needs to add an Arizona date...

I like the Anneke version more. The original never stuck out to me when listening to Ziltoid, but it really grabbed my attention when listening to Addicted, and it actually took me a little while to figure out that I had heard the song before. They're both good; it just depends on what kind of mood you're going for. The Ziltoid version is, oddly enough, more mellow and almost a bit ethereal. The Addicted version is more energetic and easier to move to.

Yeah, getting a special tshirt, collectible laminate, and acoustic performance is such a stupid idea.

Paying for it, is indeed stupid IMO.

The acoustic performance is actually cool, but whatever happened to concerts being 'open' for all without all that stupid VIP packages and bullshit crap that they try to 'sell' you as collectable???

It's only collectable because they print it for the VIP ticket holders, that does not mean 'collectable'.

I dunno, call me 'old' or 'old school' but I can't stand that 'celebrity; 'tude from my metal bands. And while I understand that most of those moves are being forced upon them by their lables (see:Nevermore's VIP ticket for "meet and greet" and a Poster - woohooo a poster!!!!!1) It's still dumb.
Again, my opinion only. I am sure packages like that make a lot of people happy, and that's awesome too.

Okay, I have a selection of about 34 songs or so. might add a couple more. when I have the songs organized to the order I want them in, I'll type them out to you so you can see the list. until then... EAT SHIT!!!

Nevermore is doing that too. HOW CAN YOU HATE NEVERMORE, KAREN.

edit: oh nevermind I see you brought it up already haha.

Okay, I have a selection of about 34 songs or so. might add a couple more. when I have the songs organized to the order I want them in, I'll type them out to you so you can see the list. until then... EAT SHIT!!!

If I were to add another song, it would be Skeksis. Has anyone else said Skeksis? If not, add that one.

I've got your VIP right here.

430961709_cd34accd29.jpg

I can kind of see a point in it. It would guarantee you the chance to meet the musicians. Otherwise, there's a chance you might and a chance you might not, depending on your stalking skills. Of course, if you're a Karen then you're automatically VIP :p

I can kind of see a point in it. It would guarantee you the chance to meet the musicians. Otherwise, there's a chance you might and a chance you might not, depending on your stalking skills. Of course, if you're a Karen then you're automatically VIP :p

^ I am not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but either way, not at all VIP...
and I am not judging the fans who obviously enjoy those meetings, I am judging the bands for taking MONEY to MEET THEM.

^ I am not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but either way, not at all VIP...
and I am not judging the fans who obviously enjoy those meetings, I am judging the bands for taking MONEY to MEET THEM.

No, not sarcasm. Cuz a hot chick fan like yourself has a much better chance of getting backstage than say, just a regular dude fan.

How much of that VIP money even goes to the bands I wonder? Like with Nevermore, it includes early entry into the venue, so I'm thinking the venue takes some of that money. And with Devy and the laminates, well, those things cost money to make. Oh plus the shirt.

No, not sarcasm. Cuz a hot chick fan like yourself has a much better chance of getting backstage than say, just a regular dude fan.

How much of that VIP money even goes to the bands I wonder? Like with Nevermore, it includes early entry into the venue, so I'm thinking the venue takes some of that money. And with Devy and the laminates, well, those things cost money to make.

Backstages are overrated. They are only fun if the band are your friends or if you know them personally and you're BSing there/ having a blast/ drinking with good people, but I am not interested in hanging backstage with a band I don't know and be all 'groupie' like "ooh how is your tour??? and how was the show???" blah blah blah I can't stand it, and it is not in my nature.

Second, laminates are cheap to make, the lable is not even spending a 0.1% of their budget on those, and most of that $$ goes to the lable/ band. (unless a certain club cut a deal beforehand, which in this case they will get a small portion of this money)
So here we have it: a $100 from a poor metal fan that guarantee him/her to shake the hands of the band memebrs, take a stupid "hey look at me I'm hugging such and such photo" and get a fake "collectable" crap item.
Whatever happens to metal shows that the bands would just hang in the club, or at the bar for a while, drinking with their fans /taking pictures and act down to earth as metal music should be?
I'm not saying they have to, of course, but I know many bands who do that without being paid fucking $$ to meet their own fans.

Well, like you said before, it's the labels doing this and not so much the bands. Labels are out there to make money like any other business. Maybe they're struggling in this economy more than we know. Maybe not, but maybe. I'm not an accountant at Century Media (or any other) so I can't really say.