For those who play "the Philosopher" (question)

Higon

No Blest´s Bassist
Aug 27, 2002
Brasil
www.no-blest.com
For those who mastered playing "The Philosopher", or for the Hippie if he had not burnt this brain cell yet, or both:

What about that part when Chukie sings:

"Ideas that fall under shadows / of theories that stand tall
Thoughts that grow narrow / upon being verbally reeeleaaaaaaaaaaaaased"

What is that weird " booooooooing boing bong" sound? It´s sliding sound? Bend? I´ve trying doing this by sliding, but don´t sounds ok. Maybe because I´m trying to do the fretless sound using a fretted...

You'll never get that sound with a fretted. In fact you may never get it with a fretless. Why would you want to? Then everyone will say you have gas, or call you fartman.

Instead of trying to learn from me, find where I got my inspiration for those obnoxious sounds...listen to side two of Jethro Tull's A album that came out in 1980 (consequently the best year ever for albums to come out), or even listen to anything by Mick Karn specifically an album called Dali's Car - The Waking Hour (1984).

That reminds me...oh, nevermind. When I get the time I'll start a new thread about it.

Instead of trying to learn from me, find where I got my inspiration for those obnoxious sounds...

This is so true and in fact a thing that a lot of bassists (including me) might want to think of.

When it's about influences or inspiration, people tend to be like their current heroes, but to figure out why they play like that, find out what they listened to when they were searching for, or even creating, their style.

For me it started with bassists like Charles Mingus, Jaco Pastorius, Geddy Lee (who is both current as classic bass hero :p) and Stanley Clarke. But there's a *lot* more bassists that have set the roots for today's bass playing.

Why would you want to? Then everyone will say you have gas, or call you fartman.

Instead of trying to learn from me, find where I got my inspiration
HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... But think about it: I'm getting inspired by you, who were inspired by them. Actually, I'm being inspired by both: You and them... So I'm saving time!

Anyway, I'll listen to those bands...

Ps: If I play the fretless people will not call me "Farty Pants" or something. People respect the fretless (not me).

And talking about it: Why do they call you Steve "Keeper of the frog" Digiorgio in Control Denied? It's about the fretless?

To hear that "fart" sound on a newer release, get Man On Fire's "The Undefined Design" - Nice blend between prog, pop and some heaviness with an imaginative bass-player (who has nervous intestines?)

Since we're on the topic, although this could warrant a new thread...I was just enlightened by an awesome album with an awesome bass player during my stay in the nordic woods north of Oslo at TopRooom studio. Mr.V played this album for me by ARK, I forget the title as the burnt copy I have of it simply says ARK "From Norway"...But!!! Says Børge...But! It's a great album, with some great fretless lines by Randy Coven (which by the way...who has he played for before???). He has a really "fretless" sound, you guys know what I mean, an obvious froggy, farty thing going on. I really dig it. He uses sliding harmonics quite frequently. About 99% of it very tasteful, especially with the smooth reverb on it.

I know this has nothing to do with The Philosopher, but there is a correlation with the smeary sliding sound, fretless style.
SDG

Did anyone here listen to Rob van der Loo's Six Arms?
Van der who? Never heard of him... It's in my list now.

Yo Hippie, where we can found this "tasteful" fart/frog/slider/harmonic musics? This ARK from Norway?

[off-topic]My fretless is coming! oooohohohohoh![/off-topic]

Now a bit of merchandise: Have you guys seen that Krizium released a new album called "Works of Carnage"? AMAZING stuff, Krizium style. Smashing fucking fast drums. Arpegios here and there. (Just helping the Brazilian fellows. =P)

Now that we are talking about "fretless sliding style", how this harmonic slide works? I mean, it's a natural harmonic or pinch harmonic? How do you make a pinch harmonic in a bass? Jaco style?

Higon said:
Now that we are talking about "fretless sliding style", how this harmonic slide works? I mean, it's a natural harmonic or pinch harmonic? How do you make a pinch harmonic in a bass? Jaco style?

You must play the natural harmonic in corrispondence of the "imaginary" fret, then you must push softly on the string and slide..

You must play the natural harmonic in corrispondence of the "imaginary" fret, then you must push softly on the string and slide..
Really??? Seems hard. Well, I've never played a fretless before, but in the freted if you do the natural harmonic and then push the string you lose the harmonic sound. Interesting...

You guys didnt know that? Man, that's the oldest trick in the book...!

Seriously, I take it for granted that sometimes the easy stuff isn't so easy for those who don't know it yet. I actually found that by accident when I was young, since then I've been a harmonic sliding fool. It helps you learn the other level of notes on your fingerboard. The notes that are harmonics don't always match up with the fingered notes under them. It's really cool, once you learn how to use them in the right spots.

Back to my other topic about Randy Coven on that ARK cd...this is one of the things he really goes off on, the sliding harmonic thing. You guys should hear it. Oh yeah...someone got it right, I'm pretty sure the album is called Burn The Sun. Killer!
SDG

I actually found that by accident when I was young, since then I've been a harmonic sliding fool
But have you ever tried that with a freted?

My bass is not that good for harmonics. My acoustic guitar is a way better than my bass to do harmonics. Maybe its due to my crappy amp... Or my crappy playing abillity.

Hmmmm... Fell better now. It's not me the problem.

But I'll keep trying. Who knows...

And talking about harmonics, have you guys ever tried "Slap harmonics"? I've never seen anyone doing that. I was messing around with my bass the last rehersal, doing some funky-slap (love slaping, really), and then I put the palm of my hand over the string, just enough to get a harmonic (Jaco style), and them I did the "pop" and DANG!, harmonic. A loud harmonic. Pretty fun and interesting... Lots of possibilities....

HippieOfDoom said:
Impossible.
Harmonic sliding impossible with fretted bass? :confused:
Some strange way I can do it with my fretted ESP F-204... Have I understand wrong or am I just a god?!! Maybe the first option, but I hope the last :D
So it was natural harmonic slide, not pinch harmonic? I can do the natural harmonic system, but I haven´t never tried the pinch stuff...