Forbidden Tour Update

Steve Smyth

Lead Axe
Feb 27, 2002
Earth
www.stevesmyth.com
Hey All,

Just a quick note to update about this tour we're doing right now. Things are going great overall! A few mishaps here and there, but mostly good! Mishaps later, good news first!

We've played 3 shows in California and Nevada to kick things off, including one my old hometown, which was a lot of fun, and wrapped up in Reno Nevada.My thanks to all who came out to see these shows, it was great to perform these Forbidden songs for all of you, and is great jamming with these guys as well!

Some of you might remember, I jammed with Forbidden at the Thrash of the Titans concert, the benefit for Chuck Billy, and also Chuck Schuldiner, back in 2001. I was very honored to have been asked, and it's truly an honor to jam with them now, as with some of these songs, there's familiarity. It's ironic as well, as a lot of these riffs, licks, and techniques somehow seem very familiar at times, especially songs I haven't played with the guys before..... must be that tie together with my former band and this one. I'll say one thing, this made it very easy to learn a lot of Forbidden songs very quickly!:lol::headbang:

We are out playing only material from the first two Forbidden albums, so come check out the show! Russ Anderson is sounding back to top form right now, and we're playing the entire Twisted Into Form album, front to back, on this tour!(excepting festivals) Killer!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

So far, we have played a club show in Uden,Netherlands, and on Saturday, the Rock Hard festival, in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. The reaction was very positive, among fans and industry alike, and I am very happy to be a part of this band right now, and see what the future may hold. While I was in California, I wrapped up recording on 2 songs we're demoing for the band's next album, and am very proud of what I laid out on there! I feel like I've been making a journey back to my playing standards along the way from my health troubles 2 1/2 years ago, to today. It's a strange thing, but this illness actually took away stamina, or energy and endurance from me. When you go into the type of kidney failure I did, your waste is floating around in your bloodstream, sometimes for days on end, and I recall some days, literally feeling like mush. I also feel it reflected in my playing. I have seen footage on You Tube of things I did while in some of the final stages of my illness, and can't believe I didn't realize what was happening! But, then again, until I got off tour at the end of 2005, and got myself checked out, I had no idea what was going on anyway.... Let's just say I'm moving to please MYSELF first, and to make sure I live up to what you would expect from me in the first place! I've seen comments, I've heard comments, and I know that there is a high standard being placed on my playing, a lot of expectations. If there wasn't, no one would say the things I've heard and seen them say, so believe me, I know what you guys expect!

London is tonight, so I'm looking forward to another "hometown" show, and seeing a lot of familiar faces, as well as meeting new ones tonight as well! If you're in town, BE THERE!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

ONE BIG THING I SHOULD MENTION! BC RICH HAS BUILT THE FIRST SIGNATURE GUITAR FOR ME! It's a 6 string BC Rich Bich, and I'll try and get pics up here as soon as I can! For now, you can visit my My Space (link below) or Facebook pages: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1291755650&ref=name Tell m what you think!

I'll be back to update more soon!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

congrats on your signature guitar, steve, it looks great! :kickass:

I'm 80 % sure I'll be at the show on thursday in hellendoorn,
but i still have to figure out how to get back home that night, or the next morning, haha :lol:

London gig was awesome... well worth a 25 hour round bus trip! Twisted being one of my favourite albums and all, well, I'm so glad you decided to play the whole thing, it was fucking brilliant.

I thought you handled the parts very well, and they're not easy parts to play... Step By Step in particular was absolutely 100% down... look forward to hearing what you come up with for the new stuff!

Thanks a lot for a brilliant night and making one of my dreams come true :) Good luck with the rest of the tour.

By the way... what did you all get arrested for?! :lol:

I also meant to mention that you nailed all those fucking relelntless parts from the second half of Twisted... those bits in Rest in Peace and Tossed Away never let up. Good job sir, I take my hat off to you...

the hellendoorn gig last night was awesome! :kickass:

3597966281_0e6819f907.jpg

3597968399_3e1ac852d9.jpg

3597966661_40e7e591fb.jpg

3598776692_dbe03f8640.jpg

3597968161_1193b47797.jpg

more pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryphotography/sets/72157619209460839/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Caveman, right on man, thanks! in every band I have ever been in, I always strive to stay as true as I can to the parts that were recorded. Sounds like I'm doing my job then! Thanks again man!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Mary, those photos and video are awesome! Thanks for putting those up here! Great to meet you in person as well, to at least get a few minutes to hang out and talk. And awesome shirt you were wearing that night as well!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Also, the cat is now out of the bag as well. That black BC Rich Bich you see there is a Custom Shop Signature model that I have been collaborating with BC Rich on for the last 1 1/2 years! This guitar will be available soon at the Custom Shop; if you have any inquiries, don't hesitate to contact them: info@bcrich.com

Thank you Steve!
I really enjoyed the show, and it was nice meeting you in person as well. :headbang:
that show inspired me somehow. all weekend i came up with new riffs :headbang: