Force Of Evil new album review.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Let's see if Sixxi like this one.

FOE second album founds Steene sounding more like King Diamond (which to me is unnecessary), but not as annoying (don’t bother to flame me is my opinion no one has to share it).

Also most of the songs deal with horror movies or horror stuff (concept already explored by Iced Earth in “The Horror Show”), and it really suits the band.

‘Black Empire’: talk about an opener, half power/half thrash this one is a statement on what we came for…fucking metal. Kick ass double-bass and a great riff.

‘Back To Hell’: dark, ominous, potent, melodic and with a chorus that shivers down my spine, powerful song with a heavy riff and a great management of mid-tempo.

‘Cabrini Green’: do you dare to say Candyman five times in front of the mirror? I love the movie, I love the concept, and I love this song. Fresh and old school based, this is type of metal fans are hungry for today.

‘Death Comes Crawling’: another heavy, dark almost kind of doom song. Not the best form the album, neither bad what can be called a filler.

‘The Sinister Show’: fast song, melodic and dark. The riff is pretty thrashy although the whole song does not song like thrash, yet it has a flavor metalheads will love. Oh wait for the solo, Shermann/Denner are a serious mix to toy with.

‘Days Of Damien’: a cute little boy with a 666 mark on his skull, nothing good can come out of it. Wrong! This song can a great doom type of song, filled with ambiental parts and an ominous chorus. Steene shows again some of the KD type of change on vocals (that’s a minus for me), but he doesn’t abuse of them so the song flows neatly. And at 3:26 gets really powerful and fast to revert to the darkness at 4:55 with an evil narration filled with a very theatrical atmosphere (I would had love to have Vincent Price or Christopher Lee doing it). The longest song (8:20) is also one of the best in the album. Days Of Damien…

‘Disciple Of The King’: nope not Elvis but Stephen. Dedicated to one of the most known and prolific authors in horror, the song is a nice one. Mid tempo, thrashy and with a chorus that sings From the Shining to Christine, disciples of the King just bring an evil smile to your face.

’Beyond The Gates’: fast one, the one that reminds me the most of Mercyful Fate or early King Diamond (except for the vox :D).

‘Hobbs End’: descent into the mouth of madness, well not really. A good song, still one of what I call fillers. The vox in the chorus is damn cool tho.

‘Dead In Texas’: can you please pass me the chainsaw? Well hand me the axe at least, no not that one the one with six strings. Great thrash riff drives this song through the legend of Leatherface, actually the song is way darker and heavier than the movie as I recall it.

‘Vorhees Revenge’: we talk in another thread about “Friday the 13th” being based on the Bodom crimes. In any case Crystal Lake became famous, and before the franchise destroyed the magic of one of the best slashers in town, Jason definitively made a mark. And this song surely paid tribute in full, especially on the guitar work I can picture the kids running from Jason with this as background. Sing along with the chorus, I know you will.

‘S.O.S’: rescue me…from the son of Satan (Adrian to the family). If Force Of Evil wanted to show that they are carrying the torch of Mercyful Fate within them, this song will left no doubt. The delight of any conservative group (looking to ban metal) fast, evil, pounding, intense, heavy is battleground 666.

Verdict: 8/10. A great piece for 2005, and I’m sure a jewel for those followers of MF and KD…even with another vocalist.

I do agree with you on this one, even though I still get a little annoyed with the singers voice.
This album is better than their first one and do take a listen to it.

Good review as always Wyv'

Ive always been curious about getting this band's CD's... i know there members of Mercyful Fate/King Diamond... which album is better.. the debut or the 2nd album? ..

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Ive always been curious about getting this band's CD's... i know there members of Mercyful Fate/King Diamond... which album is better.. the debut or the 2nd album? ..

Both are good, the second one is maybe more cohesive in terms of the band as a whole and Steene vocals have found a true niche (whihc is the main complaint regarding the debut).

Wyvern said:
Both are good, the second one is maybe more cohesive in terms of the band as a whole and Steene vocals have found a true niche (whihc is the main complaint regarding the debut).

So you like the 2nd one better then over the debut? .. me blah today lol :yuk:

Jean-Pierre said:
I dunno man, I think Shermann is just wasting riffs on what could be a NEW MERCYFUL FATE ALBUM AND WORLD TOUR!!! O_O
I could see how someone might look at things in that way. I don't consider what he has done, with FoE a waste though. And I have yet to hear the new record, that sounds like it tops the debut.
Does anyone own their DVD? I think it was recorded @ the BW&BK 6-pack a couple of years ago?! Anyone?