Mesmerize new album review.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
The value of tributes/compilations sometimes may be underrated. If is true that even those don’t come free, on the other hand are a way to check bands you had never heard before.

That happens to me with a couple of Maiden tributes, I manage to get acquainted with Steel Prophet, Solitude Aeturnus, Aska and Mesmerize.

These Italians know what the idea is about; to play 80’s metal true to the spirit and polish the production with modern technology. The result is classic metal without an outdated sound.

With their third album apted titled "Stainless", Mesmerize once again delivers metal without compromise.

‘The Burn’: shit what an opener! The pure spirit of Maiden based 80’s metal. Very equilibrated melody, guitar driven song but without shredding. Folco’s vocals are great as always and the whole tune transports you 20 years ago easily.

‘Bitter Crop’: Reminds me a lot, and I mean a lot of some Sabbath songs from the Dio era in the riff, the chorus and guitar soling are painfully 80’s, really enjoyable stuff.

‘Princess Of The Wolves’: damn fast song, power with attitude and fairly epic. Think about Warlord mixed with Stormhammer, the melody is neat, the vocals are clean, but this isn’t sweetened metal like some other Italian bands.

‘Triumph Of The Darksword’: Continuing the saga of the Darksword, the third installment is an epic type song which also has reminiscence of Maiden. The first half is more mid-tempo while the second is faster. Folco’s vocals are a bit overstretched by moments, nevertheless they don’t become annoying.

‘Windchaser’: very melodic mid/fast tempo song, catchy riff, and a mix of folk (violins) that gives you a sense of Wuthering Heights or Skyclad. Definitively the one I like the most so far.

‘Field Of Heroes’: the song reminds again of Warlord, is very epic, not very fast and has good changes in tempo.

‘Lure Of The Temptress’: kick ass fast song, epic power without sugar, melodic, spirited but never cheesy.

‘Hot Lead, Cold Steel’: mid tempo song, not very interesting. The weakest so far, has a bit of doom but not enough to coagulate.

‘Bloody Mary’: more of the formula put to test, classic metal heavily influenced by Maiden but without cloning at any moment. Melodic and enjoyable, with a cool solo.

‘Impossible Infinity’: the last one and at 10:05 is also the longest one composed by the band so far. Again reminiscence of Maiden can be heard, at 4:07 a female vox redimension the song blended into a chorus with Folco voice, then violins carry along with the rhythm section and guitars giving the song the due epicness.

Bottom line, another good album for another good year in metal. Recommended to both fans of the band and newcomers.

And you won't. Sadly mesmerize is distributed by Dragonheart records, and even if they are in league with SPV usually takes months to get a copy reach this side of the pond.
Still I'll be patient is one of my favorites newer bands and I liked the new album greatly.