Sentenced new album review.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Sentenced swan song is called “The Funeral Album” and has nothing of funeral in it.

‘May Today Become The Day’: great opener, fast riffing with a neat double bass galloping. A small change at around 2:34 leads to a nice short solo and then back to the song. The song is faster paced than most Sentenced material in the previous albums.

‘Ever-Frost’: in the vein of ‘Blood & Tears’ but with a tamer chorus. Melodic metal with attitude, like the previous one has a change at around 3:05, with a bit of Middle-Eastern melody on a non-classic solo, then back to the chorus.

‘We Are But Falling Leaves’: mid-paced song. Here the depressive gothic elements of the band are clearer; the solo is passionate and involving. Fans from “Down” and up will not be disappointed.

‘Her Last 5 Minutes’: here the gothic elements a la Lacuna Coil are more evident (not surprise since the producer is also LC producer), nevertheless the band intersects brief doom passages that make the whole experience a bit progressive with the changes. The instrumental outro also delivers unusual changes that add nicely to the song.

‘Where Waters Fall Frozen’: ultra short (0:59) THRASH instrumental.

‘Despair-Ridden Hearts’: starts with some harmonica (these guys never ceased to amaze me) that melts into the basic melody followed by vocals. Is a mid-paced song but not a ballad, totally melodic and catchy (I’m following it with my foot which is a good sign). At 2:10 a fast solo starts, I never paid much attention to Sentenced soloing, but for some reason I found them very good on this last album (sigh), the song then returns at a higher pace all the way to the end.

‘Vengeance Is Mine’: fast paced with anger and energy, reminds me of ‘The Luxury Of A Grave’. So far the one I like the most, at 2:15 a nice chorus (female/children?) echoing the solo change a bit the mood, just to return to the angry energetic vocals. Wait ‘til you hear the ending.

‘A Long Way To Nowhere’: more of the winning recipe. Melodic mid/fast pace melody with energetic vocals, a bridge at ~1:50 spices the tune, so boredom is no an option here. Songs are short (this one is 3:27) but so rich that feel the double in length.

‘Consider Us Dead’: Not to rave about, maybe what someone can call a filler. The solo is still interesting.

‘Lower The Flags’: back to the usual suspects with a piano added for the intro. Not very interesting until it hits the chorus, this is a bit more exciting than the rest of the song. Another one that feels like a filler.

‘Drain Me’: this one has a much better start, the riff grabbed me instantly. The chorus is very catchy too (Drain me my darling, drain me my darling), and the change to the (again) short solo well designed.

‘Karu’: short (1:03) acoustic instrumental, ultra simple and yet emotional, you’ll see.

‘End Of The Road’: the end comes with heaviness (near epic doom) alternating with acoustic and vocals passages. Again a well conceived children chorus gives a really neat atmosphere that develops into a mid-instrumental section very passionate and energetic. Once again I point to the solo, no guitar hero, not the 70’s classics solos, but surely much more interesting than many guitar works of today.

So this is the end, Sentenced bids farewell with this album. Not their finest moment, but surely not their dullest either. They’re going walking tall with an album that surely fits fine in the musical direction they started with “Down”. I strongly recommend it to fans of the band and to followers of melodic metal.

Sadly for me it means no more Sentenced, I'll miss them surely, one of the nicest bands I discover last year...and now it's gone :cry:

I have a copy of this coming to me. Though I'm not much of a fan, I always considred them like a sister band to Type O Negative...
They are in that vein of "downer metal."
I suppose you really have to be in that "gutter" state of mind to want to listen
to this type of stuff on a regular basis?

Laugh all you want. From "Down" and up I have found in Sentence one of the most refreshing bands. I don't find it down at all, and as a matter of fact some songs very up for me.

Seriously, that's what newer Sentenced basically is. 80's Rock with a really low voiced singer who whines about how sad he is. Please, I've got much better stuff I could be listening to.

Walter_Langkowski said:
Thanks for the review, Wyv. I'll definitely be picking it up.

It pisses me off that they're breaking up, with no real explanation as to why. Maybe they're not a real profitable band? Who knows.

Same here Walter. I "discover" the band too late so I got all albums after "Down" in a hurry, just when the new comes out they split. No fair! :erk:

At least they went walking tall instead of dimming/selling like so many out there.

Walter_Langkowski said:
Excellent way to look at the situation! There are far TOO MANY bands just milking it years beyond ANY level of quality. They're going out the way they want to so youy've got to respect that at the very least.

That was my thought when "Painkiller" came out. I thought it was the last JP album and the best swang song ever by a band. In a sense I'm glad I was wrong and JP came back, but at the time was a very noble way to say goodbye.