Forgive Me, I forgot how awesome Sigh were....

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
...or at least the middle-era stuff like Ghastly Funeral THeater, HHH, and Dead Dreams. Don't like Imaginary SOnicscape too much, except for the first two songs.

Scorn Defeat and Infidel Art are also quite good, if not as experimental as the middle stuff.

I still think their best work is on GFT.

Discuss.

I'll play IS later tonight. Hopefully it will be better than I remember.

Currently playing GFT. It's weird, who knew horror metal could be so mellow-inducing.

IS is my fave for all its wackiness, but then I like them all, including Scorn Defeat (even though it is the most straight forward). Those Japs look so fucking cool with their corpse paint, biker jackets, and samurai swords!

Mirai is wasting his time with Necrophagia IMO. A new Sigh album is way overdue.

I agree. A new Sigh album would be nice. I'm sure they'll expand on the IS sound, but jeez, some more GHF and HHH type stuff would rule.

The proggy tendencies and almost hippie look just turned me off of IS, not to mention the lack of their previous black metal feel.

Yeah they went totally balls to the wall psychadelic. You never know though, with the lengthy downtime, and hanging with the Necro-gorehounds, they might come back with a horror blast fest (with some lounge jazz to boot).

I think that's why I was so disappointed with Diabolical Masquerade. For some reason, I thought I was hunting down these rare, ultra-incredible Sigh-like CDs, and really, they're not. I like Death's Design the best, but Sigh still rules them all.

From a writing perspective, I actually fear doing a review for a Sigh album. It would just have to be nuts.

DM and SIgh have little in common, other than being based in black metal, and some of their albums having the horror-metal feel.

Sigh is a much better band, but I think DM was pretty good, especially the first three. Didn't like the patchy Death's Design much.

Sigh definitely pulls off the randomness and eclectic sounds better than Diabolical Masquerade, who with the exception of Death's Design I often get the impression that they're cutting and pasting the horror themed bits...but usually not too amateurish to spoil my enjoyment.

i'm listening to their first album on vinyl right now... very tasty, but much different from IS. does anyone else think that the lack of clean singing brought that album down? the music was great, but the monotonous growls didn't really add much to the music. like opeth, i wish sigh would totally ditch the standard death growls and go full-on prog-rock.

J. said:
DM and SIgh have little in common, other than being based in black metal, and some of their albums having the horror-metal feel.
:lol: Yeah, that's close enough for me! And 'some' have a horror-metal feel? All of them have a horror-metal feel!

I didn't think Death's Design or IS have any "horror" to them at all.

Nor do Scorn Defeat or Infidel Art.

I think IS has a definite horror vibe to it, especially bring back the dead, COMMON. I mean IS has less of a vibe than the others, but STILL a vibe. Anyways, they are probably my favourite band (have been for awhile) on their message board they said Gavotte Grim (new album) is being worked on, but Mirai is busy wasting his time with Necrophagia.