Former Anthrax singer claims he almost joined Metallica...

Joecephus

Mar 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
www. joecephus.com
... no not John Bush.

Neil Turbin.

Via Metal Sucks:

“I knocked it out of the park. I think on that particular song, I remember being in the studio, and I know that Jonny Z.[Megaforce records founder Jon Zazula] was listening to these songs while we were up in the studio, he was there for part of the time, and he was up there when I was doing vocals if I recall correctly. And I think at that point there were some interesting comments made… he of course managed Metallica at the time, and, y’know, he talked about ‘Oh, maybe we should get to sing for Metallica’ or something like that. I’m like, y’know, ‘No, that’s alright, thanks though.’”

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is probably 100% BS.

Here's Neil holding Hetfield on his shoulders.

epl1409262528f.jpg

Neil Turbin answers the question of who's voice he prefers: Belladonna or Bush at 22:56.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil is the worst singer Anthrax has ever had, and is still a WAY better singer than James.

Don't forget Dan Nelson was in the band, even if it was for a short time. Fistful is a classic album and gotta respect the roots. Anthrax would have never been what they are and Dan Lilker is responsible for the crunchy core sound.

Let's face it, Neil was (and probably still is, I don't pay attention) pretty horrible singer. Couldn't hold a candle to James.

This thread is the biggest Turbin-related thread online ...and it's full of people saying he's pish. I wonder what his life is like.

To my ears, it's enthusiastic and charming, but derivative and lacking substance. The lyrics are woeful and the singing is try-hard nails down a blackboard. Although having said that, it'd be a very Anthrax move to swap out Antisocial from the set and replace it with I'm Eighteen. Imagine! Wouldn't be that much worse, would it?

To my ears, it's enthusiastic and charming, but derivative and lacking substance. The lyrics are woeful and the singing is try-hard nails down a blackboard. Although having said that, it'd be a very Anthrax move to swap out Antisocial from the set and replace it with I'm Eighteen. Imagine! Wouldn't be that much worse, would it?

Actually, it would be a very Anthrax move to keep playing the same songs every show until the audience dies of boredom. I'd actually rather see 'I'm Eighteen' in place of Antisocial. :guh: