forthcoming Redemption album

wdiv

Rattlehead
May 28, 2004
US
They gave me my favorite album for 2007, so I've got some big expectations. The Adler / LaBrie duet feels a bit contrived somehow, but could be cool.

4/6/09 - New Redemption Music Soon!

From Nick van Dyk:

"Hello folks. Been a while since an update...hopefully for those interested the DVD has been a good means of tiding you over, but we will have new music out in the next few months and I can share some details at this time.

Redemption's fourth CD, Snowfall on Judgment Day, is expected to be released this summer worldwide through Inside Out. The album is currently being mixed and mastered by our good and talented friend Tommy Newton, who produced our last two CDs and whose work also includes Conception, Helloween, UFO and others, at Area 51 Studios in Celle, Germany. Artwork will once again be by our creative visual partner Travis Smith.

Musically, we have continued to grow and expand on the basic Redemption formula. We have continued to push the envelope of heaviness combined with strong melody and emotional urgency in the music and I think the collection of songs is very strong, with some very in-your-face tunes that are among the heaviest in prog metal to some quieter, more elaborate moments, with technical thrown in where it belongs.

The tentative track listing is:

1. Peel
2. Walls
3. Leviathan Rising
4. Black and White World
5. Unformed
6. Keep Breathing
7. Another Day Dies
8. What Will You Say
9. Fistful of Sand
10. Love Kills Us All / Life in One Day

I am particular excited to report that Another Day Dies is a duet between Ray Alder and a very special guest vocalist, James LaBrie of Dream Theater!

Once a firm release date is set, I'll provide another update. We're really looking forward to getting new music in your hands.

Thanks again for your interest and support!"

Nick van Dyk

Also on the topic of Fates Warning side projects... new OSI album coming later this month.

The Redemption albums are alright (the debut is their best still for me), but I'll check this as soon as available.

I was not aware they were working on one. Good news. Not a LaBrie fan, but hey....

My favorite from them is The Fullness of Time.

PS - Got it last week. The new OSI is a borefest.

wow something else to distract us getting a new fates warning album.

anyways does ray sing lead on all 4 albums?

I could be wrong -- old age and brain cells being killed along the way -- but I remember Corey Brown doing lead vox for them at Prog Power IV. I also think Ray came out and did a song with them.

Just checked my pictures and Ray did do a song with them. So I'm not completely dead in the head yet. :lol:

Yes, Ray only sang on 1 song on the debut. He and Van Dyk were also the producers.

The song that Akerfeldt sings on OSI is pretty good, but anything is better than Moore's boring vocals. Most of the songs are very mellow. Problem is, once they start a good riff, it either doesn't last very long, or the song just ends (this is the problem with the Akerfeldt song). The album is too "spacey" and it doesn't really go anywhere. All the songs just run into each other.

Yeah, I don't have high expectations for OSI. Their first album was pretty good, but second album was very "eh".

You are more positive than I am. The first was meh and the second was :zzz:. I kept the debut becasue I bought the special edition and the second CD worths more than the first :lol:.
Then I bought the second blndly and couldn't digest it, I give it as a gift to a friend.

Not going to bother with the new one at all.

3/4. Rick from Steel Prophet sings on the first.

And to me it's their best (specially the awsome 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'). Actaully I was pissed when he dropped for the second and they brought Ray Alder in, but he had made two acceptable albums. So I'll look for "Snowfall on Judgment Day" (as it seems the offcial title).

If you like Ray-era Fates Warning, then you wanna check these out.

I would disagree with that. I do not like the Fates Warning albums with Ray Alder. But I like the Redemption albums a lot!

I seriously think that Redemption is a much better band than Fates Waning. Also; I like Ray's vocals with Redemption much better than with Fates.

Particularly 'The Fullness Of Time' is a fantastic album!

I would disagree with that. I do not like the Fates Warning albums with Ray Alder. But I like the Redemption albums a lot!

I seriously think that Redemption is a much better band than Fates Waning. Also; I like Ray's vocals with Redemption much better than with Fates.

On this point of view I agree with Hawk a 100%. I don't like FW (any era) mostly because of the vocals, but Alder's work on Redemption is another ballgame.

They're more consistent in terms of one album to another. Redemption has no Awaken the Guardian, Parallels (one of the best albums ever), Inside Out or Ivory Gate of Dreams my friend. :p

Maybe I should have made myself clearer. I absolutely love the Fates Warning albums from the John Arch era. But I never liked their Ray Alder era albums. None of them.

That's why it was a great and pleasant surprise that I liked the Redemption albums with him as much as I did. That's why I wrote:

'I seriously think that Redemption is a much better band than Fates Warning.'

What I meant with that is that I like Redemption a lot more than Fates Warning with Ray Alder on vocals. The albums from that are mean nothing to me.

Fates Warning with John Arch was a completely different band as far as I am concerned. I still consider 'Awaken The Guardian' as a masterpiece within the history of metal.

/////I absolutely love the Fates Warning albums from the John Arch era./////

Yeah, I read that part. Parallels still > than finest Redemption material. Plus Adler hasn't sounded better than on that album. He was like a young Geoff Tate, only with not much of a bass range.