ForTiorI tones and mixing secrets

Apr 7, 2016
I´m starting a new series of short tutorial videos revealing some of my little secrets and tricks to my tones and mixes and what not. In this first video I talk about my go-to distortion pedal for rhythm tones. I´m sorry this only kind of applies to Pod HD users. But whatever you´re using, test out all the stomp pedals and see what works. That may take some time but it´s lots of fun and that´s how I got to know my Pod HD Pro inside out.

here´s another little secret of mind - take a mid gain amp, drive it hard, embrace the dirty djent. it has more character and somehow more definition to me in the lower range than using your typical modern high gain amp. the low end always sounds like a constant undefined rumbly fog to me with those. could also just be a problem with digital modeling.

this one is about how i get a grinding bass tone. simply put filter the low end, send it through a mid gain amp of your choice + cab/mic of your choice, filter some more afterwards and you´re done.

the free Softube Saturation Knob finds its way on pretty much all my drum mixes these days. it gives the drums more punch, fatness, loudness while putting a leash on the peaks.

i like to use parallel compression not to add punch to the snare, but to enhance the actual snare sound after the initial impact to make it sound bigger and fuller.

with a bit of compression on the drum bus and sending it to an fx channel with major high end and low end boost followed by a slamming compressor can give the drums that massive meaty vibe. it´s actually quite important for my drum mixes these days.

should probably talk about the drums themselves since it´s not all just in the mix. the source is super duper important for the final sound.

here´s my approach on drums reverb. specifically for the snare but also for overheads.

just talking about my guitars in this one.

here´s one about the dynamic range in my mixes and masters. don´t squash things to death!

I´ll keep this thread updated with new videos. Hope you like it.

Last edited:
thanks guys, i´ll try to keep this series going for as long as possible. i still have a few things to talk about but at some point i´ll have to rely on people asking me about my productions to make new episodes. oh well. a new video is up in which i talk about the drum vsti i use these days.