Frank Zappa

A buddy of mine was big time into Zappa and had maybe 3 or 4 of his early 70's works. It was good stuff, funny amusing or whatever but I was never crazy enough about it to get any myself. A bit too bizare and silly for me. Non the less I recognize the talent and did go to a concert around maybe '74 or 5 and it was a great concert. Excellent sound, big band, great talent.

Thats about all I know about Zappa, except he was also instrumental in the "fusion" world and gave Jean Luc Ponty his first gigs in America. Ponty was a classically trained French violinist who later would replace Jerry Goodman in The Mahavishnu Orchestra, then go on to fame in jazz/fusion as a solo artist and do many recording with other well known names in that circle of musicians.

Then of course there was Steve Vai.

A buddy of mine was big time into Zappa and had maybe 3 or 4 of his early 70's works. It was good stuff, funny amusing or whatever but I was never crazy enough about it to get any myself. A bit too bizare and silly for me. Non the less I recognize the talent and did go to a concert around maybe '74 or 5 and it was a great concert. Excellent sound, big band, great talent.

Thats about all I know about Zappa, except he was also instrumental in the "fusion" world and gave Jean Luc Ponty his first gigs in America. Ponty was a classically trained French violinist who later would replace Jerry Goodman in The Mahavishnu Orchestra, then go on to fame in jazz/fusion as a solo artist and do many recording with other well known names in that circle of musicians.

Then of course there was Steve Vai.

Adrian Belew was in Zappa's entourage as well.

I have all of his recordings etc that I can find, But I never did get to see him live. What I did get to see was Zappa Plays Zappa though, and that was an incredible experience, among other things.