FREDMAN 4X12 MIC METHOD.

Incognito Man

Jan 27, 2009
when using the fredman method, do you place the mics in position A, B, or C? or is mic position dependent on what speaker you are micing in the 4X12 in relation to the other speakers in the cab??

in other words, if you have a 4X12 and you are micing the top left speaker would it be better to use position C because the mics are farther away from the top right speaker or does it not even matter?

on my last session i decided to use this method for the 1st time and it sounded great..closer to what i always want so im a bit excited about using it more and experimenting with it.

i had a 4X12 and the mics were in position A on the top left speaker.

fredmanmethod.jpg

I think, do what sounds best to you, but the original way I believe is B because there you will gain most definition and high-end from the straight on '57.

I too would like to know the "proper" way. Are they both suppose to aim at the cap? Or what.

Ok the way it was just explained to me by Catharsis, of Fredman Impulse fame (lol), is described by example C in the diagram up top.

Not sure what you are getting at there, they rock some azz.

And just from what he explained figure C resembles the closest to what he said, as far as I understood him anyway. I'll invite him to check this thread out and clear anything up if I've missed something.

Yeah, they sound good, but I've always felt they sounded too distant from the dustcap for my tastes (even the on-axis 57), which surprised me since I always thought standard practice was one right at the center, and then the other at a 45 degree angle to it

Yeah, they sound good, but I've always felt they sounded too distant from the dustcap for my tastes (even the on-axis 57), which surprised me since I always thought standard practice was one right at the center, and then the other at a 45 degree angle to it

Ah, I see. I thought so too but Ryan said he just didn't like how that sounded. When it comes to taste in what position it's really subjective, but I see what Ryan is getting at. I really like the impulses he made and I have heard the original in action (not impulse but the amp thru cab same position) and it sounded sweet as fuck, IMO. The technique works the same any way you slice it, the only thing that changes is the sweet spot you choose. If you like a brighter sound with lots of fizz then on the center of the cap would do you right, I prefer a more smooth sound so I could see how Ryan's positioning would suit me better.

A lot of times to o, it depends on the amp/cab/speaker/guitar sound/room in general. certain speakers might throw way more highs than others and so moving away from the center could be good only for one speaker, and then the technique could change for a different set up

Ah, I see. I thought so too but Ryan said he just didn't like how that sounded. When it comes to taste in what position it's really subjective, but I see what Ryan is getting at. I really like the impulses he made and I have heard the original in action (not impulse but the amp thru cab same position) and it sounded sweet as fuck, IMO. The technique works the same any way you slice it, the only thing that changes is the sweet spot you choose. If you like a brighter sound with lots of fizz then on the center of the cap would do you right, I prefer a more smooth sound so I could see how Ryan's positioning would suit me better.

Of course it's subjective, hence why I said "I've always felt they sounded too distant from the dustcap for my tastes" :D And after so much experimentation with my setup, I really find I can't live without the bite and clarity from being closer to the dustcap (between 70% on/30% off to 50/50, but no further), and a little subtractive eq solves the fizz! A perfect case in point is the tone on KSE's "Holy Diver" cover (which I adore) and "The End of Heartache" (which I don't like nearly as much)