Fredman style VS single 57

Not that I've tried either, but from what I hear both can bring the goods

Single. I think getting the phase relationship between two mic's for recording guitar is quite hard. And keeping it simple is more to my tastes.

Single. I think getting the phase relationship between two mic's for recording guitar is quite hard. And keeping it simple is more to my tastes.

honestly it is not that hard IMO!!!

You can angle one sm57 with 22,5° to the speaker and you have the fredman-style but without the options of changing the levels between the two mics....

Depends. I never feel I'm getting enough from a single 57 anymore, without a shit ton of EQ.

57 in combo with either a 421, another 57 or a R121 is pure awesome if done correctly.

I used to use 2-3 mic setups for tracking guitars, but over time I've scaled it back to a single 57 or Beyer MC930 and I think my tones have improved because of it. I use the time I used to spend dealing with phase to get the mic placement and guitar tone right without relying on any EQ or compression, it makes things much easier when it comes time to mix.

If the player/guitar/amp sound good, it's hard to go wrong.

Cant say I have been lucky with the Fredman style this far. I allways end up using a single 57 my self.