Free Soundtoys plugin, heres the link...

I'm guessing so that people don't just download the plugin and post it on blogs and shit for others to grab. By having it through ilok they're more in control of how many have been downloaded. Could be for any reason, like they want to see what the response is to these offers or if they should go further with more plugins of this sort, how many people are actually USING iloks, etc ... I'd say more than half of the reason is strictly marketing

I'm guessing so that people don't just download the plugin and post it on blogs and shit for others to grab. By having it through ilok they're more in control of how many have been downloaded. Could be for any reason, like they want to see what the response is to these offers or if they should go further with more plugins of this sort, how many people are actually USING iloks, etc ... I'd say more than half of the reason is strictly marketing

That seems to be the reason! :)

Man, none of the SoundToys plugs work for me. Pretty sure it has something to do with the iLok driver. It'll yell at me for not having it installed, but once it is installed it just hangs and crashes. Pretty weird because my Slate plugins work just fine.

I downloaded a demo of Decapitator like 2 days ago because I hear so much rave about it. Install goes successfully, yet it will not appear in my VST list in Reaper. It installed something called PACE.....but I didn't have to fill anything out with my info.

I downloaded a demo of Decapitator like 2 days ago because I hear so much rave about it. Install goes successfully, yet it will not appear in my VST list in Reaper. It installed something called PACE.....but I didn't have to fill anything out with my info.

You need an ilok1 or ilok2 usb dongle attached to your computer to make it work. No ilok, no soundtoys.

says right on their page:

"Requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later, Windows XP/Vista/7 (Pro Tools users see Avid system requirements) and have an open USB port for an iLok hardware key."

Yeah I guess I have to get on the iLok thing. I'm behind the times here....

Well, ilok's great time is already over. Waves dropped it. Brainworx/Plugin Alliances dropped it. Soundtoys has not announced anything if they'll use ilok2 for 64 bit or not.

You'll still need it for Slate & Lexicon in the future...

If you want an ilok2 you might take a look at Slate Digital RC-Tube plugin offer...

Well, ilok's great time is already over. Waves dropped it. Brainworx/Plugin Alliances dropped it. Soundtoys has not announced anything if they'll use ilok2 for 64 bit or not.

My only problem with the Software Alliance thing is is you have a previous version of one of the 32 bit plugins bought prior to May 2011 you need to pay a $20 per plugin fee (or $50 one time fee for all your plugins) to upgrade to the new licensing system if you want X64 bit capability. You can go on using your iLok for the 32 bit versions, but you are out of luck for future updates. Seems just as much of a money grab as having to have a one time cost hit by requiring the purchase of an iLok. Perhaps it's just me, but seems like just another mechanism to get more money from existing customers. change licensing mechanism, charge them to use the new mechanism if they ever want updates (a mechanism which by the way limits them to authorizations on 3 machines where as iLok you could just take and pop in any system and your license traveled with you).

Every system has it's flaws.

Per their FAQ:

Is updating my old ilok licenses free then?

This depends. When did you buy the plugin?

If you bought your licenses MAY 1st, 2011 or later: FREE update.
Just grab the new installers for these plugins and you will be fine.

If your license was bought BEFORE MAY 1st, 2011: PAID update.
Don´t worry, updates for older plugins are only 20 US$ for single plugins or 50$ for ALL of your Alliance plugins in one account.

This includes updating bx_control V1, bx_dynEQ V1 and bx_digital V1 to the current, V2 versions.

I want to go on using my old ilok licenses. How does that work?

Sure, no problem.

If you don´t need 64 Bit support and AAX formats you can go on using what you have bought initially forever, of course.

All old ilok based plugin installers are still available at www.plugin-alliance.com/legacy
They will be available online free of charge all the time.

Please understand that we will not continue to update these old plugin versions after Dec 31st, 2011, though.