Free VST SSL style channel strip plug?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
So I'm taking the easy way and just asking rather than searching. I've been on KVR Audio looking for one and a bunch of results popped up. I have the Modern Bouncer which is kinda like an SSL style bus comp, and I have the Antress Modern Channel, but it doesn't seem like an SSL style channel strip. I also have some Waves stuff (the RChannel), but again it doesn't seem to SSL like.

Any recommendations for a free VST SSL style channel strip?

I like the RChannel plug, and actually use it a lot, but I never hear it spoke of much here (I really like it on the master buss, too), but I hear so much about the SSL plugins (and the real deal) that I'm intrigued to try anything remotely like it. I guess I should just DL the trial version of the SSL stuff from the Waves site, but I was hoping maybe someone knew of a good sounding freeware plug (if it exists) that emulates the same thing.

The SSL channelstrip(s) are great!!!

I always use them on my projects.
But you can do great stuff with the r-channel too!!!!

I would just test the trial version and when you are blown away just buy them.
You can wait and WUP your other pack and buy the SSL bundle with that money + some extra $$$

And keep your eyes open for some great sellers, you can get the bundle much cheaper then the waves.com site shows

cheers

Yeah if you get to where you want to purchase them, or any other well-known plug-ins for that matter including URS, etc., I suggest checking out plugindiscounts.com. I didn't ask about the SSL bundle, but they sell the CLA bundle for more than $100 less than what Waves is asking, cheaper than Sweetwater too. I bought a Waves bundle from them and saved like $80 on it over Sweetwater (SW is cheaper than Waves online).

cool deal. Sweetwater is probably where I'd go to buy (they are somewhat local), I just hate having to pay the tax! I'll have to get to downloading the Waves pack to test. Still hoping to find a reasonable freeware plug to try out, though. Having spent a few hundred bucks lately (Ozone 4, Slate EX w/ expansions, 2 24" monitors, etc.), I'm hoping for a bit of a stop gap to see if I can even wrap my head around SSL style plugs in the first place, let alone pay a good amount for something I can't make the most of.

Don't take it the wrong way, but going with SW over plugindiscounts is really silly to me. I have spent probably close to $10k with SW, maybe even more now, so it's not that I don't like SW. I was able to get my licenses within a couple of hours after purchasing the plug-ins, and they were way cheaper than through SW. And no tax... haha. I mean, you'll do what you want of course, I would just like to stress the fact that PD.com can save you a lot since you are stressing the fact that you don't want to pay for them if you don't have to basically. $100+ less than SW is a pretty good reason to not buy from SW when it's the same thing :)

from what I hear SSL stuff doesn't work on x64 windows7....and Waves made the statement that they are not moving to 64 bits til 2011 minimum.:mad:

So, I'm looking around. Voxengo Voxformer maybe? Rchannel I'm looking at currently....