French black metal

May 30, 2008
Iceland
I need some good french black metal preferably avant-garde or experimental. Currently listen to Blut Aus Nord, Peste Noire, Celestia and some Mütiilation.

For just plain great black metal that experiments a little but stays faithful to the style, get Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice.

Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum is their most "avant-garde" probably, but there's basically no tremolo picking type of guitar work on the whole album so it's really closer to some kind of progressive blackened tech death..it's really chaotic and you won't get anything out of it if you don't give it your full attention for several listens tbh.

Everything from SMRC on is pretty awesome; besides SMRC itself, they all focus on using actual riffs most of the time instead of tremolo picking, and typically dissonant riffs. Kenose is sort of a compromise between black metal and that other riffing style; Chaining the Katechon is purely dissonant riffs but slowed down and less chaotic than Fas; Diabolus Absconditus is like 25% acoustic if you like that.

Basically SMRC is essential for black metal but if you're looking for experimental or avant-garde, I would go for Kenose or Chaining the Katechon for starters and only listen to Fas when you get a chunk of free time.

All their albums are good, but for the purposes of this thread, only SMRC and on is really worth mentioning.

I cannot stand DsO. Don't understand the hype.

Try Hirilorn, Belenos, and Mortifera if you like Celestia.

If you want some Pagan type black metal, try Nydvind.

DsO is so boring to me.

You might want to look into Amesoeurs and Alcest though it's arguable that they are black metal.

Also, any of the LLN bands though a lot of them aren't for everyone (i.e. Moevot, Aakon Keetreh, Satanicum Tenebrae)...

Nuit Noire hahaha they are crazy,yeah a bit too umm weird,i do respect what they try to do but much preffer Circle of Ouroborous for my post punk/BM,speaking of which,anyone know of any other good bands in the post punk/bm vein?

haha I did actually request a name change, so now my username is cannibal corpse without the underscore.

I checked out Nuit Noire. The music is great but they suffer from the same problems Circle of Ouroborus do. Those stupid clean talking vocals for example. Only thing that kept me from giving Shores more than one listen. Really sucks cause the music is pretty good.

Nuit Noire are in no way 'avant garde', they're just a black metal band that developed more of a punk sound and now it's something in between: what Tenebras calls faerical blasting punk. It's childish, aloof, fantastic music.

Deathspell Omega are, as I've said elsewhere, pretty much my favorite band these days.

Try Vlad Tepes, Belketre (The March to the Black Holocaust split with VT), Vermeth, S.V.E.S.T., Darvulia, Bekhira, etc.