French Metal

LadyCal

Friend of Maurice
Apr 29, 2002
GerHeiEpp
www.enteringeternity.de
the name's reminding me of french fries...
But back to metal...;)
Listening to Heavenly I wanted to know are there other bands in this country?And which kind do they play?Any people from France here??

ANOREXIA NERVOSA!!!!!!!

Spectacular french symphonic black metal in it's most extreme form. OH MY GOD this band is good...they look a little odd..lyrics can be somewhat dodgy at times...but DAMN... it's one of the best things I've ever heard. Remniscent of Emperor, except much more extreme. In style, its a lot like recent Dimmu Borgir, except that Anorexia Nervosa are a least 9 billion times better at it, and much, much faster. Possibly the most extreme but most beautiful things you will ever hear. They have riffs that make me want to tear my limbs off, they're so good. They have a band member that plays strings - how many metal bands have a cello guy?!. They have everything you could ever need, if you could possibly withstand listening to it without exploding with pleasure. And they're from France. So check them out.

MISANTHROPE - the ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one of the greatest band on the earth!

ANOREXIA NERVOSA - i'd say that same what about MISANTHROPE, but AN has only 3 CD and 1 MCD and i can't compare to the best french act. anyway, for it's one of my fav. band!!!

SETH - one of the greatest black metal band! they sounds how should sounds norwegian bands

BELENOS - another epic black metal act, very good band

ARKHON INFAUSTUS - great brutal black/death

SYMBYOSIS - again i can say THE ART! melodic death/proggresive/heavy metal with electronic

THE CNK (COUNT NOSFERATU KOMMANDO) - Xort and HMS Heimdarr of ANOREXIA NERVOSA side project. bizzare/political/sexuality/techno metal. for all PAIN, COVENANT, ...AND OCEANS or DEATHSTARS fans. great!

Adagio (2/5 French, guitarist and bassist) is a great neoclassical power metal band. They are very influenced by Symphony X, but they still have their own identity. "Sanctus Ignis" is their only album and it has some great songs.

Well, my faves are

Misanthrope - don't normally lie this style of stuf, but they are great - lots of fantastic keys. vocals might not be your kinda thing though, lyrics are in French too.

Adagio - as mentioned previously, they rock too.

also check out:

Headline - great, female-fronted prog metal.

Manigance - speedy, melodic metal with a proggy touch. French lyrics.

Kalisia - Cynic-like, proggy death metal.
http://www.kalisia.com/

Time Curve Symmetry, 51s, Syrens Call,

Killers - old style 80's metal.

Mebelnest: Wacky prog!
http://www.nebelnest.com/

can't find all the website links now ... and its kinda late

Once again i am amazed that almost NOONE in the whole "EUROPE" forum, listens to old heavy/power metal...i dont have a problem with the other gengres..i just find strange that old metal is ignored.... anyway....some mainly 80s great french bands in my opinion:
Sortilege
Steel Angel
Malediction (http://membres.lycos.fr/maledictionfr/)
Lust (this one is going to be re-released in a few months , check out www.cultmetalclassics.com)

from Adagio's album "Sanctus Ignis" I found exactly one rocking song :( which is the first on the CD (and which was used for promotion on magazine compilation-CDs): Second Sight - this song really is great; but the rest......... well, I'm not a fan of this metal kind in the first place.

@ IOfTheStorm: why would you think we should remain at "old heavy/power metal" ? and: there are enough fans of these kinds, they just don't post much on this forum ;)
in my case, I don't like the vocals and/or lyrics. as simple as that

hahahah... bravo Mac, Vlad Tepes is one of the greatest band ever... tohatger with Ildjarn :lol: