Fret Dressing - any guides/tips??

+1 to guitarguru

no matter how much you think you can do it, you're going to fuck up the first neck and maybe even the next few. I thought I was qualified enough because I've built many things and was a machinist in training, but I still fucked up. It's just too easy to flat spot and ruin the frets on the first time, and all the tools you will need to do it properly will cost more than just taking it to a pro.

It's not that my neck was completely ruined, but it definitely did not come out as I had hoped. If they are shit guitars, then go for it. But if they have any kind of value / or are your workhorses, I would strongly suggest not doing it on those.

Sorry for the hijacking but one of my guitars needs a re-fret too. :D

How often can a quality guitar be re-fretted?

I have a 90s Les Paul (second hand) that’s probably re-fretted three times and now I want to put on extra jumbo frets on this one.

Sorry for the hijacking but one of my guitars needs a re-fret too. :D

How often can a quality guitar be re-fretted?

I have a 90s Les Paul (second hand) that’s probably re-fretted three times and now I want to put on extra jumbo frets on this one.

It depends on how good the tech who did it was.
And a 90's Les Paul should NOT have been refretted 3 times already... that sounds insane.

Anyways, to op: Its MUCH harder then you seem to think, and i wouldnt do it if i where you.. but have you tried polishing them with 00 steel wool?

There are plenty of guides if you just search google. But here is the gist of it.

Your going to want to tape off your entire fret board in masking tape, leaving only the frets exposed by cutting away the excess tape with a very fine razor. Be sure not to cut into the board, angle the razor into the frets so you don't ruin the wood.

Once frets are exposed, take a permanent marker and cover the tops of all the frets where the strings would hit.

Next, you will need a very flat file. You want to make sure that this is as FLAT and as TRUE as possible because you will ruin your fret dress otherwise. It will be nice if it has a handle on the top side of the file, and not a handle on the end because it will get in the way and make it too difficult.

Start carefully filing away, vertically, from the first to the last fret. You want to make sure you are making even strokes, and GO SLOW. You will have to adjust as you are filing to compensate for the radius of the fretboard. This is where the permanent marker comes into play. ONCE the markings have disappeared, you will know that you have filed enough. If you have major flat spots, it's going to take quite a bit of filing, but don't get too crazy or the frets will be too flat to play the guitar properly.

After the first markings are gone, mark the frets again and go over the board slowly JUST to make sure that you have indeed leveled the board to your liking.

Your frets are now leveled, and they must be crowned.

You can crown them yourself with a flat file, or a triangle file, but I'm telling you right now its a serious hassle to do it this way, and you will get frustrated and tired and annoyed and inevitable cut into the sides of the wooden fingerboard. If you have some serious patience, then give it a go, but I highly recommend getting a fret crowning tool from STEWMAC or other tool suppliers.

To crown, you must mark the frets again with marker, and start crowning until a very fine line of marker remains in the center of the fret. DO NOT crown past the marker or you will have to level the entire board again.

Once all the frets are crowned to perfection, you can begin to polish. The frets at this stage are very rough. You will need to start out with 400 grit if it is rough enough, then progress from 800 up to 2000. COUNT each stroke for each grit you use, because you need to make the same amount of strokes and the same amount of pressure on each fret to ensure that they stay level. This can be tricky. You can use steel wool after 2000.

After you finish to 2000/steel wool or whatever you have available, you need to polish with a metal polish to bring them to a brilliant shine. I would suggest EAGLE ONE NEVR-DULL wadding polish. It comes in a metal can, and is basically wads of material soaked in polish that you pinch off. This will make the frets SHINYYYYYYYY and awesome.

Once the frets are all polished, you are done. Or you might not... If you are unsure, leave the tape on and string up the guitar. If it doesnt play right, you are one step ahead because you are going to have to do the fret level again!!! If you are confident, rip that tape off and string up the guitar, and enjoy the time and effort you put into crowning. You won't be able to play very well for a while, cause your fingers are going to be raw and sore from sanding and polishing. And if it sounds like shit, take solace in the fact that you learned that fret jobs suck, and take it to a pro and get raped for $$.

Have fun! (Yea right!)

I found it quite easy my first time and the guitar turned out perfect. I've since had good and bad ones, but my worst is a slight buzz on the 1st fret, regardless of string height. A fucking low awesome action otherwise.

Get the dan erlewine book/books and read up. It's all about getting the neck straight (or in strung up position), and using the correct tools. I bought a machined straight block of aluminium and use double sided tape to stick on sandpaper. I also have two types of crowing files. Make sure you use the right size. Some fretwire might be to thick/thin for one type, but the crown could still work, it all depends. The final setup makes all the difference too. I haven't tried a refret yet, haven't got anything cheap enough to test that out on that needs it, but I say read up, read up some more, then give it a go.

^Yea I forgot, THE NECK MUST BE COMPLETELY STRAIGHT before you start... as straight as possible anyways.

I get my put through the PLEK machine. IMO nothing comes close to job this does.

This.

Sadly, this makes you hate all guitars thats not PLEK'ed(Yes, the difference is that big.).
I owned a Boogie Street Custom Evil Twin signature Idol series that was PLEK'ed to their ultra low string height.. it literally looked like the strings touched the frets, without any buzzing or loss of sustain! :guh:

This.

Sadly, this makes you hate all guitars thats not PLEK'ed(Yes, the difference is that big.).
I owned a Boogie Street Custom Evil Twin signature Idol series that was PLEK'ed to their ultra low string height.. it literally looked like the strings touched the frets, without any buzzing or loss of sustain! :guh:

fuck! ive just seen them machines, GAS!! lol

FWIW - I sometimes find going straight to a leveling file too aggressive depending on the actual amount of fret wear. If the frets only have mild to moderate wear, I usually use a 12" long aluminum block with sand paper to level the frets. This doesn't remove so much fret material so fast. Then follow with the crowning file and then pollish the frets. Also, mask the body around the fretboard in case you drop a file or slip with it. You don't want to scratch the finish. Also, #0000 steel wool works great for pollishing the frets, but make sure you completely cover the pickups with masking tape as well. The fine steel wool particles are attracted to the magnets in the pickups. If you don't cover the pickups you'll have fuzzy steel wool particles stuck to (and in) the pickups which are a pain to try and clean off.

As mentioned above, make sure you get the neck dead straight with a straight edge before starting, mask the fretboard, and go slow. It's good to practice on an old neck before you dive into leveling the frets on your favorite axe. It's sounds easy in theory, but really takes a bit of practice to achieve great results. If in doubt, take the guitar to a well-respected shop. ;)

"If you don't cover the pickups you'll have fuzzy steel wool particles stuck to (and in) the pickups which are a pain to try and clean off."

This is proven true. :p

^^ So true! You can't cover up too much. Ever seen some metal dust on the gloss and brushed it away with your hand? *scratches* Gonna have to polish that shit out son! :D