from my editorial today...

deadair

Overly-Cryptic Jake
i thought maybe you folks would like to read baout my adventures... oh yea, and how i hate stupid people... here it is ---

I left the house yesterday with every intention on buying a 10Gig IPod. All the money I need had been deposited into my account, and I had pumped myself up at the thought of being an IPod owner. Everything changed when I walked into Best Buy…

The guy working the electronics department was, well, no help at all. When I walked up to ask him where the Ipods were he seemed scared of me, looking around nervously when I opened my mouth. After darting his eyes around, he directed me towards the case that held the machines of my desire.

“…So, you don’t have any of the 10Gigs left?”

“Umm, yea… I guess not.”

Long pause

“Are you going to be getting anymore in?” At this point Steph had to coach the kid along.

“Yea, sure.”

“Does the other Best Buy in town have them?…” I was starting to get irritated with his ho-hum attitude.

“Well, let me check.”

I had also noticed that the price of the 10Gig was marked at $199, a full hundred bucks cheaper than list.

“Yea, they have a bunch.”

So I left and headed across town to the other store, this was now becoming a project.

When I showed up, an employee willingly came up to me and asked if I needed any help. “Thank God”, I thought. He brought me over to the IPods, but something was different.

“At the other store they had them listed at $199”

“Oh, yea, those where the 2nd version, we had those on clearance. The 3rd version is $299.”

My heart sank. Knowing all the ‘extras’ I would have to buy to just get the damn thing to work made me sick. I stood in front of the case deep in thought.

“But I would get the Archos if I where you. It’s a 20Gig with USB 2.0 connection… for $278.”

“Oh yea?”

He then proceeded to fill me in on the details, and run down the problems he has found with the IPod. I still paused for a minute. Was it the name “IPod” I wanted? Was it the sleek design? Why was this even up for debate in my head?

I grabbed the Archos, bullshited with the sales guy for a few minutes, and headed to the check out. When I got home, all I had to do was open the box. It hooked up to my computer without a problem, and within minutes I was transferring albums from my computer to my shinny new MP3 player. I was beaming.

So now, my nights will be spent downloading albums, and ripping a few of my own. 20Gigs is a lot to fill up… I’ll be busy for a while.

Jake, there was a thread on the other board where the Archos was mentioned -- there was one complaint about the HD smushing two mp3s together into one hybrid beast. you may want to be aware of that or look for a fix or something...

20030528l.gif