From the start.........Rock The Nations

yes, Canada's Triumph ... (They were good too...)

the program says it was on march 15, 1986 (damn, 19 years ago?)

it was in the San Antonio Convention Center Arena...

-Imp

Side one is a good rocking selection. Rock The Nations is very similar inj content to Denim & Leather (The Songs The Is!), Waiting For The Night is an underrated song I think, We came Here To Rock, does exactly what it says on the tin!. Side two is where this album is let down badly, all simply album fillers, I mean PartyTil U Puke:erk: C'mon, Northern Lady is a nice little number though.

This album is memorable to me 'cause on the tour Saxon returned to Glasgow for the first time in 5 years or more as there was no where to play when the Apollo closed. They played the Pavillion theatre across the road from where the Apollo used to be, it holds about 1,500. About 150 people turned up :yow: for the gig!! But the lads still belted out all the classics.

Its better than the Destiny album,..but what does that say??:Spin:

Rock the Nations (8) My second best song on this album..
Battle cry (7) Like the percussion
Waiting for the night (6,5)
We came here to rock (7) The intro does remind me of Judas Priest’s Bloodstone-intro
That completes the A-side by far the best side of both sides

You aint no Angel (7) The thing is.. this album, especially this song sounds more like a live-recoring in a studio or a pub without audience..
Running hot (6,5)
Party ‘til you puke (3,5) Its funny, I like it when the guitar plays the sound of the dutch song;”Daar zijn de appeltjes van oranje weer!” Like you hear it in Amsterdam on the riding-organs (draaiorgels) in the streets…(this album is recorded in the wisseloordstudios in the Netherlands, mabe that’s why???? I don’t know maybe its just my wish that rules my thoughts. BUT!! After hearing it 3 times it just gets boring on me… when I programm my CD-player I always skip this track.. OK its funny with Elton John on a Saxon –album, but I wasm’t waiting for that.. Maybe a bit a filler ???

Empty Promisses (8,5) To me the best song on the record..an underated song..Maybe on a live album??? in future??? With some Dio-flavour in it???

Yes and then.. OMG sorry for some fans on the board…Northern Lady! Nothing personally ..;) but I dislike that song. Those are the song I will never see again on a Saxon Album. It’s the saxon song I always skip, I played it only 1,5 time…When I buy an album from Saxon I do not expect such whimp-songs…(2) My lowest appreciation so far!

Further The album cover is good and the lyrics are good, especially Empty promisses

Average (6,2)

"party till you puke" was a fun song...

it sounded like they just "let their hair down" so to speak and had fun recording a song with Elton... (or is that Sir Elton?)... anyway, at least it wasn't crocodile rock... I can just see Nigel and Paul cutting in with the "laaa! la la la la la! la la la la la la la la la la!!"

then again, that would have been funny too!

-Imp

I think its a great album one of the most underated.Its also the first one without Dobby.When T.V(RIP) chatted to biff and played a couple of songs it sounded great.Waiting for the night is one the best Saxon singles ever.Yeah ok its sucking up to the yankie doller,but it has melody and roks like any classic Saxon single.
Battlecryis just classic Saxon and so is Rock th nations.Aint no angel has a great beat and guitar hook although a bit cheesey.
All in all the best of the Saxon bad patch.

The first side is good, but the second side is a bit naff. Would love to see 'Rock The Nations' played live again. I mean the track, not the whole album!

I remember reading a few letters in Kerrang by people who had seen Saxon on this tour, and they were saying that the gig was crap. The review in Kerrang wasn't too clever either. So off I went to the Hammy and I must say, the gig wasn't one of the best. I remember thinking that it was actually a really good setlist, but for whatever reason there was just something missing. And from this tour on it was pretty much downhill for Saxon for many a year. Not anymore though, as we all know!

Not my favourite Saxon opus i must admit, the title track is great and i like battle cry as well, waiting for the night is not a bad track either.. Always liked the album cover to this one, great concept, Saxon uniting the metalheads of the nations of the world...which of course they do!!!