FS: Aardvark Q10 8-input interface - $300

schnarf2

Dec 30, 2006
Edit - Price drop to $250

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1809029

The Aardvark Q10 is a 8-in recording interface with 8 built-in preamps. It supports phantom power. It can record all channels at 24bit/96khz. All inputs support both 1/4 inch and XLR plugs. It has two inputs which can either be used normally, or can be switched to a different mode for high impedance sources like guitar and bass direct in, which is great for using amp simulation software.

It also has SPDIF in/out, MIDI in/out, and word clock. There are 8 analog outputs, as well as 4 inserts for using effects such as compression or EQ before the signal is converted to digital.

The drivers work very well on Windows XP and ASIO. The software allows you to do a lot of routing, for example, to control which inputs go to which outputs, as well as to set the preamp levels. You can save presets of your settings to recall later.

Here's a full review: http://emusician.com/daw/emusic_aardvark_direct_pro/

The interface is in good condition, nothing bad cosmetically. It also works great. I have all the original packing materials including the original box and drivers (though I will include the most recent drivers as well). The interface consists of a PCI card which is all shielded to reduce interference from the computer, and then the breakout box which is the interface. It connects with a six foot cable. The nice thing is that all the a/d conversion happens outside the computer, so there's very low noise.

I've used it for many recordings. When using all eight inputs at once to record a drumset at 96khz, there was still very low latency. I've used it to record guitar and vocals as well. Of course the preamps aren't the same quality that you'll get in the $1000 for two channel price range of the stuff by people like Apogee and Joemeek, they are very good, particularly for the money. The Q10 is great for doing recordings of a band, demos in your room, and live recordings.

I am negotiable on price but $250 is pretty reasonable.

Yeah. There is a yahoo group that exists that has served me pretty well in the past -- they have updated versions of the drivers, and a lot of solutions to common issues.